Playstation audio issue (SCPH-1000)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playstation audio issue (SCPH-1000)

Thought I'd post this here on the off-chance someone might have an idea what's wrong!

Bought a launch model Japanese PS1 (SCPH-1000) a little while back, it was sold cheaply as spares/repairs but I figured I'd have a crack at getting it up and running. I replaced the power supply with a UK 240v unit from a SCPH-1002, and of course laser unit was knackered by this point so that got replaced also.

After doing the above it boots up fine and games work no problem, however the audio quality for sound effects etc is poor. Console boot-up logo audio is fine, as is any audio played from CD or FMVs etc, but otherwise it sounds low quality/crackly... particularly with low frequency sound effects or speech (this is my personal observation at least). It's almost like someone's dialed down the sample rate.

Anybody got an idea? I was thinking maybe it's a result of the board needing a recap due to the age, but I can't be sure. I do of course realise original Playstations are common as muck and it would be easier to just get another, but I was hoping to save this one (I guess in part because it's a launch release model, but also as most of my PS1 titles are Japanese imports).

Any advice (or offers to fix it!) would be much appreciated, thanks

Bad SPU chip I believe. You can get it repaired or swap with another SCPH-1000 board if it's easy to find one.

Comment

Ah well if it's that then I guess there's not much that can be done, given that I may just as well just replace the whole board if sourcing another. Never mind, thanks

Comment

Do you have the board from the 1002 console? Maybe the faulty chip could be transplanted?

Comment

I have a faulty 1002 console. Let me know if you want it for free.

Comment

Originally posted by mmmonkey View Post
            Do you have the board from the 1002 console? Maybe the faulty chip could be transplanted?
            Yeah, it's a complete console I bought from eBay recently as spares/repairs for £10 posted. Only thing is when I took the lid off I realised it had been modded with a 4-wire chip back in the day (and to my eyes somewhat professionally at that... secured in place with its own board and separate timing oscillator?), so I promptly tested it out and it all worked fine. Even the original laser seems to have some life left in it, which is very unusual! For that reason I'm in the process of stripping it all down, cleaning it all up properly (case in particular was filthy!) and putting it back into use.

With regards to the chip transplant, unfortunately I don't have the skills or the equipment to attempt this (the last time I did any soldering was when I did work experience as a teenager in a TV repair shop!). I'm also not sure whether you need to match the chip version exactly, as the PU7 board (1000) uses a CXD2922Q chip, and the PU8 (1002) has a CXD2925Q.

Originally posted by DaytimeDreamer View Post
            I have a faulty 1002 console. Let me know if you want it for free.
            If you don't want it then yeah sure, some spare parts would be handy to have (what's the fault?). Send me a message with your Paypal address so I can cover postage costs though. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum View Post
              Yeah, it's a complete console I bought from eBay recently as spares/repairs for £10 posted. Only thing is when I took the lid off I realised it had been modded with a 4-wire chip back in the day (and to my eyes somewhat professionally at that... secured in place with its own board and separate timing oscillator?), so I promptly tested it out and it all worked fine. Even the original laser seems to have some life left in it, which is very unusual! For that reason I'm in the process of stripping it all down, cleaning it all up properly (case in particular was filthy!) and putting it back into use.

With regards to the chip transplant, unfortunately I don't have the skills or the equipment to attempt this (the last time I did any soldering was when I did work experience as a teenager in a TV repair shop!). I'm also not sure whether you need to match the chip version exactly, as the PU7 board (1000) uses a CXD2922Q chip, and the PU8 (1002) has a CXD2925Q.

If you don't want it then yeah sure, some spare parts would be handy to have (what's the fault?). Send me a message with your Paypal address so I can cover postage costs though. Thanks
              I don't remember what the fault is to be honest. Maybe it's the drive. If it's easier for you I can only send the motherboard since it will probably reduce postage costs.

Comment

Right, I've had a bit of a think about this, and for the time being I think I'm going to just leave alone and refurb this 1002 unit I bought recently. My reasoning is that I've kinda started accumulating too many 'spare' PS1s over time (I have two boxed and complete units, a unboxed modded PSone, plus now this slightly broken 1000 and the 1002 I'm working on). Honestly at this point I think the sensible thing to do would be to calm down and stop stockpiling them! (and I will probably look at selling off at least one really).

Thanks very much DaytimeDreamer, I really do appreciate the kind offer, but hope you don't mind if I just call it quits for now.

Comment

No problemo mate, just trying to help

Comment

Working...
                  X