Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Playdate) Bizarre new console launches soon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    Nice!

Mine can't be far away now...surely...
    if you're group 2 then it should be any week now as the middle of august is the end of group 2 shipping i think.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
      it should be any week now
      That's what I've been telling myself since 2019

Nah it is close now, looking forward to it looking forward to your impressions also.

Comment

Now the wait begins for part 2 that lovely charging dock they previewed although i think they wont announce the preorder date for that till most of the playdates are shipped out so that's all of group 3

Comment

Got home to find something small yellow and adorable waiting for me, that's correct it was pacman. Oh and my playdate arrived too

It really feels quality in the hands and the screen is stupidly sharp and easy to see, well for me as my bed is directly under the light so perfect setup for now. Just finished setting up wifi & the download stuff, once connected to wifi you need to goto your playdate account and add it to that before it will let you continue with the setup you can't skip it. I decided to do it the easy way and scan the QR code with my phone & log in that way once finished it appears in your account with the serial number.

And some pics....will try the 2 starting games in a while.

About the same size as a pokemon mini

Last edited by importaku; 29-07-2022, 17:30.

Comment

Well i have played the first 2 games for a little while i prefer casual birder to whitewater wipeout as casual birder feels like a full game where as the other feels like a minigame fun for a quick go but not much in there. The case cover is pretty high quality it seems to be metal sheeting inside of it so it's really sturdy however i don't like the idea of that screen been unprotected even inside the case as all it takes is a bit of something to get under the cover & that screen is getting scratched so i went looking for screen protectors even though not many people in the world have them yet it seems that manufacturers have already started making various protectors for it i went with some cheapy film ones 6 for less than £3 on amazon so if i screw up putting them on i have spares. Will have to test one to see if the backing is safe silicone clingy type before it goes on fully as the listing doesnt say but most are nowadays.

I got these ones in case anyone is looking for protectors

Comment

Well the next 2 games appeared on my playdate the lock screen has a little message for you letting you know and the light flashes purple on the lock button it seems it doesn't make you wait till the exact day you first started off your playdate as i got mine on friday and yet today on monday it gave me week 2's games, so it seems the start of the new week will trigger the next 2 i'll find out next monday.

Crankins time adventure is a lot of fun it's trickier than i thought it would be especially as you get further in, as for boogie loops not really my thing at all i have given it a quick go but don't think i want to sit and mess about with icons and settings to make a music beat but if people are into music creation it might get them tinkering with it.
              Last edited by importaku; 01-08-2022, 15:58.

Comment

Looks so good. Still waiting eagerly on a shipping notification here

Meant to say as well, thanks for the pictures. That screen looks so good. That's a big reason why I'm excited to get my hands on this and the Analogue Pocket, the screen quality. What can be achieved now in that regard is just brilliant. We're all used to seeing super high res contrasty portable displays on our phones - and that's great - but I'm loving that modern screen technology is now being applied in interesting ways for portable gaming.
                Last edited by wakka; 01-08-2022, 20:04.

Comment

Looks so good. Still waiting eagerly on a shipping notification here

Meant to say as well, thanks for the pictures. That screen looks so good. That's a big reason why I'm excited to get my hands on this and the Analogue Pocket, the screen quality. What can be achieved now in that regard is just brilliant. We're all used to seeing super high res contrasty portable displays on our phones - and that's great - but I'm loving that modern screen technology is now being applied in interesting ways for portable gaming.
                  Hopefully yours isn't too far away from shipping now. Kind of hard to post impressions as i don't want to show too much away in pics as it will spoil the fun of seeing it all in person the screen is way sharper than my phone can represent. One thing i really like is the flip case has had a lot of thought put into it, in the bottom left corner theres a recessed gap on both sides of the case i was wondering why then it hit me you can put a loop strap through the bottom left screwhole and the recessed gaps in the case are so when it's closed the loop doesn't stop it from closing fully flush. While i wait for more games to be delivered i'm looking through whats out there from other users seems there's some cool stuff so far.

Comment

Yeah, I've been keeping half an eye on what's being put out on Itch.io for it, and there's some really intriguing stuff that I'm looking forward to trying.

I actually cheaped out and didn't buy the case! I'll need something for it, I guess. I like that the thing is actually dinky enough to take places. I'm looking forward to have a handheld that's genuinely portable.

Comment

Yeah, that's why I went with the Miyoo Mini, you really can just pop it in your pocket.

I'm also enjoying the pics, but feel free to post stuff in spoiler tags as I'm really curious about some of these games!

Comment

It's great to see these updates. I'm really looking forward to mine. It has a real sense of novelty to it. It's like the anti-Steam Deck if you know what I mean.

Comment

Yeah, I've been keeping half an eye on what's being put out on Itch.io for it, and there's some really intriguing stuff that I'm looking forward to trying.

I actually cheaped out and didn't buy the case! I'll need something for it, I guess. I like that the thing is actually dinky enough to take places. I'm looking forward to have a handheld that's genuinely portable.
                          Def reccomend a screen protector then as i have no idea if the screen is plastic or scratchproof glass as i don't want to go sticking my fingers on mine. I have a feeling with how sharp & small that screen is a small scratch will stand out a lot on it.

Comment

Good call. Hopefully some tempered glass ones will emerge.

Comment

Good call. Hopefully some tempered glass ones will emerge.
                              Amazon uk has a lot of protectors on there including glass ones but as i have never used any yet i can't vouch for how good they are my cheapy film ones are on route from germany seems like most of the protectors are coming from there at the moment. Here's one of the glass ones

While on reddit it seems people have gone back to the wormlight era for how to play in the dark, neck mounted led reading lights are perfect. I can't believe i didn't think of it myself will be looking to see if there's anything super small & portable to pack in for when i'm playing in the dark.
                              Last edited by importaku; 02-08-2022, 10:37.

Comment

In the dark?! You're not playing under the covers after bedtime are you?

Thanks for the link above. I generally prefer tempered glass since I think it has less impact on clarity. They do get cracked easily though is the issue.

Those neck mounted lights actually look pretty useful for reading at night after my partner's gone to sleep.

Comment

Working...
                                X