Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Playdate) Bizarre new console launches soon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Playdate is a throwback to the simple days of Game Boy, for better and worse
    Before you pre-order the Playdate, learn if it’s a good fit for you..."

Comment

Fun. I want one.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp...date-pre-order

"Playdate is a throwback to the simple days of Game Boy, for better and worse
        Before you pre-order the Playdate, learn if it’s a good fit for you..."
        Monochome screen i can cope with paying with no backlight "nar im good bro" seems its a hit and miss affair with the games too, its an expensive little thing too being $179.00

Comment

I appreciate they need to make an actual profit from the hardware, stuff like this is ridiculously expensive to r&d and get built, but the price is absolutely going to kill it, plus the non backlit b&w screen. Shame.

Comment

I really want one. I feel about 99% sure that I'll play it for half an hour and then stick it on a shelf forever but I really want one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I really want one. I feel about 99% sure that I'll play it for half an hour and then stick it on a shelf forever but I really want one.
              Pretty sure that's all of us, DT.

Strange there's no backlight. You'd think there would be some way to power the light?

Comment

It's a lovely idea but also one that has a distinct air of aliexpress about it too meaning that price tag (which is almost half the base SteamDeck) is just an insane proposition

Comment

I know Brad will be in like a shot saying their stuff is rubbish and breaks but I must admit I'm a sucker for Teenage Engineering design, their quirkiness and how their stuff feels and, for me, I do think that's going to elevate it in terms of justifying the price tag. I just don't think you get that kind of design normally. And it either works for you or it doesn't but I love it.

Comment

I've only ever bought one thing from Teenage Engineering before, but it has stood up to my rigorous usage of taking it from its shipping packaging and putting it on display in a cupboard. I joke, but the actual design of everything was legitimately very impressive. People say similar of Analogue's efforts, and I think there's real value in the look and feel of products like this.

Also I think comparing it to just about any other console, but the Steam Deck in particular, is missing the mark by quite some distance.

Comment

The Teenage Engineering samplers look like calculators with the cases removed, but I love the screen graphics as I used to adore those little LCD games before the Game Boy made them obsolete.

I agree that TE and Analogue's minimal presentation looks proper swish.

I spent ages transfixed by this video!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        I know Brad will be in like a shot saying their stuff is rubbish and breaks but I must admit I'm a sucker for Teenage Engineering design, their quirkiness and how their stuff feels and, for me, I do think that's going to elevate it in terms of justifying the price tag. I just don't think you get that kind of design normally. And it either works for you or it doesn't but I love it.
                        Hipster.

To be fair, i've only had one of their products (OP-Z) but yeah, in that case their quirky design and choice of unusual materials backfired badly. Couple that with the fact that NOBODY on this forum is playing that thing for more than a few days before it goes in a drawer and I'm out. I'm more interested in that Analogue Handheld

Comment

Can't we all just chip in a few quid each for one and play it for a week, then pass it on?

Comment

lol community gaming at its finest, if only everyone could be trusted

"honest mate never turned up don't blame me blame the postman, somebody must of forged my signature, also im not sure how one got listed on my ebay account"

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              Hipster.

To be fair, i've only had one of their products (OP-Z) but yeah, in that case their quirky design and choice of unusual materials backfired badly. Couple that with the fact that NOBODY on this forum is playing that thing for more than a few days before it goes in a drawer and I'm out. I'm more interested in that Analogue Handheld
                              Brad: I'm out

Also Brad: I preordered one

This is the definition of a product no one needs but I still want one. IDK why. Usually I'm (slightly) more sensible when it comes to buying stuff.

I do have a soft spot for Panic as I used to use their Unison and Transmit software and it was the absolute bee's knees compared to competitors. I'd still be using it except I don't bother with Usenet or FTPing stuff around these days.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                Can't we all just chip in a few quid each for one and play it for a week, then pass it on?
                                Not quite what I had in mind when I suggested a forum playdate

Comment

Working...
                                X