Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Playdate) Bizarre new console launches soon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuse View Post
    Heads-up that SF Bags are doing a case for this. As usual they're not cheap, but they are nice if you're into some fine leather goods.

Missed a trick not having a yellow one though, I'd say.
    Sounds like you want one made from a skinned Pac-Man. :O

Comment

Playdate update #3 sees the launch of Catalog, the on-device store.

Two free games come as part of it - Reel Steel and Recommendation Dog.

Comment

I've been thinking about picking one of these up recently, but how are you early adopters still enjoying yours? Does it still see much playtime?

Comment

I'm thinking of getting one but supposedly its going up in price on April the 8th and its still not very easy to get one, it being a pre-order scheme where they ship in batches still.

Comment

I've not given mine nearly the usage I want to. There are things I like about it and things that I don't. I love the idea of it and the look of it, and the quirky humorous games that it receives. I ABSOLUTELY love the very first game that unlocks, Whitewater Wipeout, which I got mildly obsessed with for a while.

But it's not perfect. I thought the 1 bit screen would be fine without backlighting, and it kind of is but not really. I really like the way it renders games, but I usually game in a relatively dim/lamp lit living room in the evenings. I have to sort of position myself under a lamp like I'm playing Gameboy in the 90s. And the ergonomics aren't great, either. It's aesthetically superb but not all that comfortable to hold for long periods.

With all that said, I will be giving mine more time. I think it's got a lot to offer and I love that it's something really different.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              I've not given mine nearly the usage I want to. There are things I like about it and things that I don't. I love the idea of it and the look of it, and the quirky humorous games that it receives. I ABSOLUTELY love the very first game that unlocks, Whitewater Wipeout, which I got mildly obsessed with for a while.

But it's not perfect. I thought the 1 bit screen would be fine without backlighting, and it kind of is but not really. I really like the way it renders games, but I usually game in a relatively dim/lamp lit living room in the evenings. I have to sort of position myself under a lamp like I'm playing Gameboy in the 90s. And the ergonomics aren't great, either. It's aesthetically superb but not all that comfortable to hold for long periods.

With all that said, I will be giving mine more time. I think it's got a lot to offer and I love that it's something really different.
              How was the preorder process did you get stung with import duty?

Comment

No, you pay it up front with Playdate. They bundle it into the shipping cost. The preorder process was fine. A long wait but I was in the first wave. Not much to report really. Ordered it and then quite a long time later it showed up, with a few emails in between. Their comms are much better and clearer than Analogue’s. They were pretty good about keeping you informed about how close your group was to shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                  I've been thinking about picking one of these up recently, but how are you early adopters still enjoying yours? Does it still see much playtime?
                  Mine doesn’t get played much. And to be honest, I bought it suspecting that would be the case. I think the lack of a backlight is a pretty big issue. It’s not always easy to find somewhere where the screen looks good. Other than that, I love the form of the machine. It’s a lot of fun and feels good. And there are definitely some good games on it but just, for me, not many have grabbed me for any length of time in a world with a lot of competition for my time.

Comment

Some new games coming along, and a new case colour.

Sadly no news about the stereo dock just yet, before anyone asks.

Comment

Happy to see this being successful. Might pick one up, some of the new titles look interesting.

Comment

There was a new Playdate Update today.

Lots of fun looking games announced, but other main updates are that the system is now available to buy directly; no pre-ordering and waiting! To celebrate one year of Catalog, it's also having its first sale this March. Was announced in advance that they're still working on the stereo dock but had no updates to share, incase anyone else was wondering.

Comment

Okay, I really need to start using this thing again. I was in the first or second wave of deliveries, I rattled through the first few games, stuck on it a shelf and forgot about it. It's a really cool gizmo and I pledge to use it more. This is me, making a public pledge.

I did play a lot of Whitewater Wipeout every day at one point though. That's a great game.

Comment

Comment

What an absolute nerd.

Nah that's lovely

Comment

Working...
                              X