Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Playdate) Bizarre new console launches soon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    I have the teenage engineering op-z and it’s just awesome. This looks well cool.
    I don't understand even what the OP-Z is. But I have the OP-1 and one of the Pocket Operators and I totally love them. They are expensive toys and I forget how to use the OP-1 every time I step away from it (it's not all that intuitive) but they are fun.

Comment

Wow!!! If you ever tire of the op-1 let me know. The op-z is a sequencer with 4 sample channels (2 nite poly I think) and 4 synth channels (3 and 4 nite poly). It can also sequence lights and unity 3d graphics. I’ve added my own 808 drum kit on there and am doing 80s style electro and ambient stuff at the moment. I’ll put something in the music thread when I have a full song done. This device is very TE like as you say.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        I don't understand even what the OP-Z is. But I have the OP-1 and one of the Pocket Operators and I totally love them. They are expensive toys and I forget how to use the OP-1 every time I step away from it (it's not all that intuitive) but they are fun.
        There’s 9 of the damn things now would love to get the other 6 but they are pretty expensive especially the newest ones as they are like £70 each as they are a bit fancier than the first 6.

Comment

I love the idea and the look of the product.

It’s one of the first gaming products in a while where I’ve thought, yeah, that actually excites me. As lovely as the Switch is, it’s not really a handheld in the traditional sense. It doesn’t have those shrunken down, very particularly handheld games that other earlier portable machines had (due in large part to their reduced power vs home machines). By deliberately gimping the power of this, they’ve forced designers to work within limitations, and I hope that will produce some really interesting software.

It puts me in mind of the Pokemon Mini - not that I ever owned one. A focused little machine aiming to carve its own niche. I don’t think it’s at all aiming to be a platform for ongoing software sales like an Xbox, but more an all-in-one container for a set of pre-defined and included software. That’s my interpretation of what they’ve said so far anyway.

I also just like the idea of a games machine you can actually slip in a coat pocket - not one with the weight, complexity and fragility of a laptop.

I’m in for one, to be honest. £120 odd is fine with me. I don’t think it’s excessive. They sell a version of Mortal Kombat 11 that costs £90, and versions of AAA games with awful figurines regularly go for £150+.
          [MENTION=2561]fishbowlhead[/MENTION] Barring the crank based charging, there are hundreds of products already on the market that are exactly what you just described! This is something genuinely different instead, which is lovely.

Comment

Looks like it’s well built though there’s definitely metal in there. Teenage engineering make some fun stuff.

Comment

I've spun it in my head for a few minutes but ultimately yeah, this is a rubbish and simple fleecing your audience.

Comment

The screen isn't backlit? Helpful...

Comment

Because it’s black and white, it probably doesn’t need to be. The Pocket Operators aren’t backlit and they’re really clear unless you’re actually in the dark.

Comment

Yeah I doubt this’ll be like an original gameboy screen. Tech has moved on you’d hope

Comment

I've bought the EDGE this month which has this as its cover story (years since I've bought an EDGE, I was a subscriber many moons ago).

It's VERY gushy but it's an interesting read about the development of the machine and the thinking behind it. I'm weirdly excited about this, more excited than I really feel I even ought to be. There's just something about it that - pardon the pun - really pushes my buttons for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        There's just something about it that - pardon the pun - really pushes my buttons for some reason.
                        or "Cranks your handle"

Comment

Needs a game based on meatspin where you can helecopter your way around the level cranking your wang to fly.

Comment

This does look quite intriguing. It’s all going to come down to how developers utilise the crank handle though... there’s definitely the potential here for something unique and fun.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                              Needs a game based on meatspin where you can helecopter your way around the level cranking your wang to fly.

Ha ha ha ha! I have literally just spat a beer everywhere as I read this.....classic

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X