Pinball FX3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinball FX3

I was staunch The Pinball Arcade through and through but the Williams licence pulled me over to FX, and it's won me over.

I'm not a huge fan of the original/videogamey tables but I suppose they're okay to have there. Something to maybe buy on special offer to mix things up. But it's those licensed tables I really love and they're done really great justice. Like the devs scored the licence and put every effort into making them the best versions available.

Something I didn't expect to be a fan of was the augmented versions of the tables. You can play classic mode, which provides a sim like experience, which is the mode I thought i'd be all over. But the alternative (or default single-player mode here) really adds to the fun. Tables are brought to life with animation and buffs can be earned to tweak how you score.

I went back to The Pinball Arcade (the reason I bought a PS4 at launch) and although some reviews say you can hardly notice the difference between those tables and the new FX3 version I can see clear refinement.

I bought the Williams Pack 4 today, mainly for White Water, but it's Red and Ted's Road Show that's really impressed me. It just feels very realistic. Great table too.

Hope they keep the licensed tables coming. And keep the production values high (something I thought TBA was a bit hit & miss with).

Anyone with the PS4 ver please feel free to ad me to your friends list: bunk-72
    Extra Ball
    0%
    Low Ball
    0%
    Ball-locks
    0%

I don't understand why they alternate between the Zen Pinball name and Pinball FX name. I don't get it. But I like it. Generally, I'm a big fan of their more gamey tables - I like that they break out of what you can do on a physical table. The Skyrim table, for example, is made with real love and it's a lot of fun - you even continue with your character across games. The Walking Dead table based on the Telltale game is great too.

But it's even better now that both the unreal/gamey tables and real table sims exist in the same package.

Comment

Yeah, it seems to be the law that all pinball simulations need corny branding and horrible interfaces.

This looks good, what are people playing on? I’ve never been able to commit to this or Pinball Arcade as I can never decide on a platform. Maybe Switch with a Flipgrip would be best.

Comment

I'm playing on PS4. I find the shoulder buttons more comfy for flipper action.

Comment

All the table packs (apart from Williams 4) are discounted for this on Steam at the moment, mostly 50-60% - I like the vast majority of the tables, although I do find the voices in the Star Wars themed ones grating given they aren't the real actors and it just doesn't sound right. They're all worth a play and given you can trial them all, so I'd grab them while they're cheap if you like them. The Balls of Glory pack is definitely worth a look.
          Last edited by MartyG; 29-05-2019, 19:53.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            All the table packs (apart from Williams 4) are discounted for this on Steam at the moment, mostly 50-60% - I like that vast majority of the tables, although I do find the voices in the Star Wars themed ones grating given they aren't the real actors and it just doesn't sound right.
            Also unless they have patched it recently, The Force Awakens table doesn’t have music from that movie and BB-8’s sounds don’t match the movie.

That’s an issue with some other tables too. E.T. doesn’t seem to have the classic music. Back To The Future too, I think but I’m going from memory here. That’s a big deal when you’re trying to capture the feel of a classic.

Comment

Yeah, the Universal Classics tables were a bit disappointing, the Jurassic Park tables did a much better job of capturing the themes of the films. As I mentioned above, the Balls of Glory pack which features Family Guy is probably the best example of the TV/Movie themed tables.
              Last edited by MartyG; 29-05-2019, 19:58.

Comment

Some savings to be had on table packs on PS Store inc Williams Season 1 which bundles 12 tables for £10.79 (60% off)

Play 12 authentic classics in the Williams™ Pinball Season 1 Bundle as arcade-perfect simulations in their original form or as remastered videogame experiences enhanced with updated graphics, animated toys, and a host of new features.brbrThe Williams™ Pinball Season 1 Bundle features the following tablesbrbrThe Getaway High Speed II™brJunk Yard™brMedieval Madness™brBlack Rose™brAttack from Mars™brParty Zone™brTheatre of Magic™brSafe Cracker™brThe Champion Pub™brWhite Water™brRed Teds Road Show™brHurricane™brbrIn-game purchases optionalbrbr1-4 playersbrDUALSHOCK®4 Vibration FunctionbrHD Video Output 720p,1080i,1080pbrbrDownload of this product is subject to the PlayStation Network Terms of Service and our Software Usage Terms plus any specific additional conditions applying to this product. If you do not wish to accept these terms, do not download this product. See Terms of Service for more important information.br One-time licence fee to download to multiple PS4 systems. Sign in to PlayStation Network is not required to use this on your primary PS4, but is required for use on other PS4 systems.brSee Health Warnings for important health information before using this product.br Library programs ©Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. exclusively licensed to Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. Software Usage Terms apply, See eu.playstation.comlegal for full usage rights.brbrCreated and distributed under license from Williams Electronics Games Inc. Bally™ is a trademark of Caesars License Company, LLC. All rights reserved.brGame Code © 2019 Zen Studios Ltd. All rights reserved.

Comment

having owning all the tables all on the Switch (vie unsavoury methods) I bought the 1up Pinball Star wars cabinet last month and have been enjoying it enough that ive actually paid for over half of the tables on Steam whenever they go on sale, i own 65/100 so far and hope to have them all unlocked shortly so i can compete for high scores online

i believe theres a way to hack the pinball machine to allow it to run the steam purchased tables so thats my thought process

noticed theres a Pinball FX on Epic store now which looks like they intend to reboot this as just 'Pinball FX' in march 2023

if so, surely any tables bought on the fx3 should port over id hope.

Comment

Originally posted by RuBiQ View Post
                    if so, surely any tables bought on the fx3 should port over id hope.
                    Earlier this year, at least, Zen Studios' model for the upcoming Pinball FX was apalling.

Pinball FX fans criticise plans for $150 of microtransactions and $15 monthly sub

Comment

Nope, you're out of luck on that one. They're making you buy them all again.

edit: Oh yeah, the subscription. I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, screw Pinball FX.

Comment

not a chance id wanna monthly sub, certainly not one that costs more than netflix does.

Im happy to pay for a table but not a rolling payment, very poor decision to run with, i cant see it working for them myself.

Comment

+1 right here ... not down with that nonsense

Comment

Damn, I was going to pick up some of their reduced table packs (£3.19 for 3 tables at the moment), but I don't think I'll bother now.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              Damn, I was going to pick up some of their reduced table packs (£3.19 for 3 tables at the moment), but I don't think I'll bother now.
                              Why not? Pinball FX3 is great (I have every table released for it) and the release of this new 'platform' shouldn't affect it (beyond it receiving no more new tables, obviously).

Comment

Working...
                              X