No announcement yet.

The Avengers ("Avongers")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, not sure I agree with that. Am I the only one who finds that disingenuous? There have been many potrayals of Iron Man, or Captain America, over the decades, many of them looking different, putting a different spin on the concept.

The ones in the E3 trailer looked like "MCU-but-distinct-enough-to-not-get-sued".

Comment

Yeah, I mean, I'm not even into comic books, but even I know that's nonsense. It's getting hammered because it's anything but something different, it just looks like a knock off

Really bad creative choice imo. They should have gone with a markedly different look and feel instead of something that just apes MCU.

Comment

I'm an enormous spamming cock and am now banned.
        Last edited by charlesr; 15-08-2019, 11:19.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          it just looks like a knock off
          Yeah actually I want to throw off my previous attempt at politeness and say that the statement is bull****.

Anyone else remember the bit in the E3 trailer when the "The Avengers" logo came onscreen, with the stylised "A" in the manner of the movies... And the well-known "Avengers flourish" musical sting didn't play? And how utterly cringeworthy that was?

They didn't get the MCU licence, then made something which looks too much like the MCU, and it feels like an imitation. That's the problem here.

Comment

I think that's the exact problem, it's like Sony with their Spider-Man game in a way. It seems clear that Marvel is licensing out it's Marvel characters for videogame adaptations but the exact MCU incarnations are off limit so as not to risk damaging the core brand. Sony took the approach of doing what it does best with the character and treating it as yet another reboot giving us something distinct but familiar yet clearly not Holland's incarnation. Square clearly lacked the vision and steered as close as they could to the MCU in an attempt to cash in as best they could.

It's a bit like how Lee's Hulk isn't that distinct from the MCU Hulk visually yet the creative vision marks them very clearly apart, Square's game lacks that. It's a niggle but probably one easily remedied as the game probably nickel and dimes character skins etc anyway

Comment

Yeah, I felt Sony's Spider-Man was decent. It was sufficiently its own thing.

I'm not so sure it is a niggle that's easily remedied with a character skin. This feels like core creative direction stuff that's going to have influenced decisions at every stage of development.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                First look at some in-game footage looking good

Well, they've got Budwiser looking almost like the real thing! awesome GFX and I quite like a pint of Bud now and again.
                I don't get the negatively myself, in all seriousness. I think the game looks good and better than most comic book efforts

I really can't remember the last time Crystal Dynamics made a bad or terrible game tbh, so looking forward to this dilly dilly !!!!

Comment

Hopefully it's decent, I'm happy enough to look past some ropey designs as we had proper MCU incarnation games and... well...

Comment

It could be pretty cool. Let's hope it reviews well.

I'm looking forward more to Iron Man VR though at the moment.

Comment

"Terry Stark! Bulk! Dark Grey Widow! Assemble Collect in a group together!"

Last edited by QualityChimp; 20-08-2019, 12:59.

Comment

Crystal Dynamics Sees Marvel’s Avengers as a New Kind of Live Service Game

"Crystal Dynamics has refuted the suggestion that Marvel’s Avengers is designed foremost in a games-as-a-service model.

During an E3 Coliseum panel, several members of the development team joined in a roundtable to reveal new details about the story.

The game’s director Shaun Escayg mentioned that a goal has been to put a unique spin on the characters, ensuring both familiarity and difference from the both the films and comics.

Marvel Studios creative director Bill Roseman added to that, saying the team asked itself, “how can we tell our own, all-new, authentic, original Avengers story.” He noted that one such way was to make subtle alterations to the character designs, such as the star on Captain America’s shield now extending beyond the innermost blue circle.

The panel also delved deeper in the narrative, explaining that the game is about each of the main characters dealing with the guilt and sense of failure following the destruction of San Francisco during the game’s opening moments. As might be expected, S.H.I.E.L.D. will appear in the game as an adversarial organisation to the Avengers, though its exact role has not been clarified.

Talk eventually turned to the style of the campaign, which Escayg described as “really story-driven,” while also providing “multiple options” about whether to follow the story or explore side missions and other characters at any point. Roseman added that story is woven through every mission within the game.

Meagan Marie, senior community and social media manager, also reiterated that the narrative is set to be “delivered over multiple years with regular content drops.” She later said that additional characters and regions will be available for free.

Lead combat designer Vince Napoli added that Marvel’s Avengers will have live service elements, “but it’s so narrative-focused that there isn’t really a game you can point to that says ‘oh, it’s kind of like this thing.'” The goal was to build a world where players can continue to explore the multiple playable characters over time, leading to Napoli and Escayg referring to it as a new kind of live service experience."

Comment

Can't say the graphics aren't nice but the gameplay looks generic and janky.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                            Can't say the graphics aren't nice but the gameplay looks generic and janky.
                            Marvel Cinematic Un-Charted.

Comment

Avongers gets free PS4 to PS5 upgrade

Comment

The guys on the Lost Spark podcast really enjoyed it at the XBox show before lockdown, noting how fun Thor is when controlling his hammer.

Anyone know how many players this is? Could be a great co-op game!

Comment

Working...
                                X