• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiderman will be exclusive to Playstation

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
      Spiderman will be exclusive to Playstation

Makes sense, Sony still owns the rights.

Comment

I'm probably picking it up on Playstation but the idea that other platforms are missing a pretty cool character is well crap.

Comment

In the Xbox version captain America has master chief pyjamas, so it’s all fair really.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
            Makes sense, Sony still owns the rights.
            They don't. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is chockablock with Spider-Man.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
              They don't. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is chockablock with Spider-Man.
              I was just reading up on this and can't find anything mentioning gaming rights. Sony has owned the film rights since 1988. Spiderman has appeared in all kinds of games during the 90s, marvel vs Street fighter for example, so perhaps the rights that Sony owns doesn't extend to games. Don't know. Maybe Sony are just being a bit dickish.

Comment

Looks like the PS4 version also has 30 days exclusive access to extra cosmetic stuff.
                This kind of exclusivity annoys me. I understand exclusive games, but locking down exclusive 'stuff' is just petty. Both companies do it, it's not just a Sony thing.

Comment

If you pay the developer for exclusive timing or items then you have the right to that exclusive timing or item.

Same for paying a dev to make a completely exclusive game for your platform, if your paying for it then you get to call the shots 🤷

Comment

Probably need a thread on our thoughts about exclusives.
                    My thoughts are:

Exclusive games - Don't mind them. I don't buy them much because not many appeal to me. I haven't played Spiderman or Horizon. However I understand they exist to get people to buy consoles and also exclusive games tend to get the best out of the console.

Timed Exclusives - Silly. It's like a big kid a school playing with a football and saying you can't have it. Eventually he gets bored and you can play with it. Utterly pointless. It might get some people to buy a console for the game, but really, knowing its timed just means people will wait.

Exclusive content - also pointless. Most of the stuff that is exclusive is tat anyway. I know its trying to advertise that this is the best place to play the game but meh.

Comment

Probably need a thread on our thoughts about exclusives.
                      My thoughts are:

Exclusive games - Don't mind them. I don't buy them much because not many appeal to me. I haven't played Spiderman or Horizon. However I understand they exist to get people to buy consoles and also exclusive games tend to get the best out of the console.

Timed Exclusives - Silly. It's like a big kid a school playing with a football and saying you can't have it. Eventually he gets bored and you can play with it. Utterly pointless. It might get some people to buy a console for the game, but really, knowing its timed just means people will wait.

Exclusive content - also pointless. Most of the stuff that is exclusive is tat anyway. I know its trying to advertise that this is the best place to play the game but meh.
                      Yeah, I think timed exclusives and exclusive content only work in a sort of aggregate, where you become the best place to play the best versions of lots of games first.

On an individual basis they mostly feel like a complete waste of time.

30 days exclusive access to some tat is the definition of a waste of time

Comment

Bit of a dick move by Sony to make it fully exclusive. I mean, I get it but it is anti consumer.

I'd much rather this sort of thing went a different route where they said Sony owns the license so Spidey is a free DLC piece on PS4... Want him on other versions? That'll be £3.99.

Locking that content out day one with no means of obtaining it is the tough part. Me personally I wouldn't care but I can't see die hard fans on other platforms being annoyed.

Comment

I honestly hate "exclusive" games unless they are explicitly made by the company in question.

First-party games kinda suck but we accept them as part of gaming, because the way platforms work allows us to get those awesome games which otherwise, probably, wouldn't exist. Classic example would be a title like Ico, which was an arthouse project for Sony.

Compare to when Microsoft got the "exclusive" on PUBG last gen. They didn't create the game; it already existed. They just paid so PS4 owners would not have it.

Comment

Well yeah first party games, where the platform holder is paying 100% of the development costs ... It's hard to argue with what they choose to do with it.

I really despised MS for their timed exclusive **** with Tomb Raider. I mean it was a year, that to me is horrific... To make another platform wait that long is just going against gamers for the sake of business.

I also don't like the same with COD and Destiny but at least it's small content there... But I wish it just ended altogether as it's bad business.

At least Phil Spencer said he didn't like that deal and wouldn't do that sort of thing again... But still it doesn't look like timed exclusives or platform specific content is going away.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post

At least Phil Spencer said he didn't like that deal and wouldn't do that sort of thing again...
                              Until we find out how long the "console launch exclusive" periods are for the games they showed at their last showcase.

Comment

Well yes but that works both ways. Deathloop etc... shown that the Sony event will come to Xbox as well.

Phil Spencer was mainly commenting on the year long exclusivity being pretty poor business in terms of annoying gamers on other platforms, when they just happen to be the people you want to convince in the larger sense.

I'd rather there was no timed exclusive deals on any platform but if they do exist I'd want them to be short and non intrusive. Stuff like COD DLC updates hitting PS a month early for instance I can live with... Not ideal but still.

Comment

Working...
                                X