No announcement yet.

Retro Arena: F-Zero vs Wipeout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah man. Mode7 was a good bit of tech. It's a shame we didn't see more stuff using it, or even an evolution of some kind with plane tilt. That would have made for 16-bit Super Monkey Ball type things.

There was an alright MechWarrior game, iirc.

Comment

Speaking of which GX was built on the Super Monkey Ball engine. You're controlling the track on that, too.

Comment

Exhaust Heat made better use of Mode7 than either F-Zero or SMK.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
          F-Zero on the SFC is far and away the best of the bunch. Perfectly controls, great track design, and a fantastic score.
          Yeah, it's great in all areas. Such a polished game.

I recently bought a brand new copy of F-Zero SFC. It's mint as can be and is a thing of beauty on my Analogue Super NT.
          Yeah, mint boxed copies aren't hard to find. Looks really nice on a CRT or with a scaler and also the Super Nt.

Some of the GBA spin-offs were good too, but limited somewhat by the poor GBA screen resolution and sound chip.
          Maximum Velocity is very much like the original SNES game. GP Legend is based on the Anime and definitely aimed at kids. The third game, Climax, is excellent in all areas. I'm glad I bought a boxed copy for a decent price a while back -- now it's very expensive.

If Nintendo can ever make a new F-Zero with graphics and music like the bonus F-Zero tracks in MarioKart Switch, then I will die a happy man.
          They've teased F-Zero fans with those tracks, so they better deliver what we all want. A brand new entry in the series that's full of stunning graphics and exhilarating action.

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
          Always felt like I was controlling the track, not the vehicle in that version.
          Well, that's the way Mode 7 racers work, but Nintendo crafted F-Zero & SMK to work brilliantly within those constraints. I've always loved how F-Zero plays, so the illusion of 3D doesn't bother me at all. The same with SMK.

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
          Speaking of which GX was built on the Super Monkey Ball engine. You're controlling the track on that, too.
          Yeah, I played both the other week -- and you can tell they share tech. GX makes you feels like you're really in control of a super fast craft. so it works perfectly. How the developer crafted the game doesn't detract from how fun it is to play.

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
          Exhaust Heat made better use of Mode7 than either F-Zero or SMK.
          I wouldn't say so. Exhaust Heat has tiny car sprites and very bland tracks. I've never rated the game.

The sequel though is really good. It uses a enhancement chip[ST010] to boost performance. Easily one of the best racers for the SNES.

Comment

Exhaust Heat 2 pretends to be F-Zero. The original game is sublime. Almost perfect handling.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
              Exhaust Heat 2 pretends to be F-Zero. The original game is sublime. Almost perfect handling.
              It's fast and really smooth like F-Zero, so much better in my book. The first Exhaust Heat is quite clunky and bland. I remember being really disappointed with it back in the day. But the sequel really grabbed me with how intense the racing is.

Anyway, it obviously wasn't easy to make a top quality Mode 7 racer, as shown by all the terrible examples for the system. F-Zero is a masterwork.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-06-2019, 22:32.

Comment

F Zero GX and it's so far ahead of every other game on the list it's not even funny. So spot on that it's no wonder Nintendo doesn't know how to make a follow up to it. Second to that is either the SNES original though I enjoyed X a lot, Wipeout can be a bit up and down in quality, it's good when it's good but never came close to GX.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  F Zero GX and it's so far ahead of every other game on the list it's not even funny. So spot on that it's no wonder Nintendo doesn't know how to make a follow up to it. Second to that is either the SNES original though I enjoyed X a lot, Wipeout can be a bit up and down in quality, it's good when it's good but never came close to GX.
                  There's something to be said for that; there's never been a bad F-Zero game, but there's a bad Wipeout game (the PS2 one).

Comment

I never got on with Exhaust Heat due to the lack of in-game music. Seems like a small thing but just having a droning engine noise gets really annoying. I need some quality SNES music in my games!

Comment

I thought the tiny little F1 cars looked ace in Exhaust Heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        There's something to be said for that; there's never been a bad F-Zero game, but there's a bad Wipeout game (the PS2 one).
                        Have to disagree - I love fusion; it’s fast, smooth, sounds great and you are always in the action, unlike the clunky early ps1 efforts. Your ship changing appearance was ace too.

Comment

I never got on with Exhaust Heat due to the lack of in-game music. Seems like a small thing but just having a droning engine noise gets really annoying. I need some quality SNES music in my games!
                          Yeah, it's a shame it doesn't have some quality synth music to make things more compelling. The sequel also lacks music.

This guy's cover of the 'Fire Field' tune is excellent.

I love this.

Comment

So far the voting is;

F-Zero: 15 votes
                            Wipeout: 6 votes

Some people didn't make it clear what their choices were.

I really enjoyed this.

This is pretty funky.

Last edited by Leon Retro; 06-06-2019, 14:10.

Comment

^^^ That Silence cover is ace ^^^ Love it

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                                F-Zero: 15 votes
                                Wipeout: 6 votes

Yeah and democracy gave us Boaty McBoatface and Brexit so what do votes know, eh? EH?!

Comment

Working...
                                X