PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
    I mean, I'd like to think that maybe the point I'm getting at is regarding the authenticity, hence why I mentioned OG hardware in the first place. I'm fully aware that I can play these on Wii via homebrew emulation - I've done just that - and guess what? The experience isn't a great one IMO.

It's quite obvious that the PCE Mini is cheaper. But I don't see why it should carry a £100 RRP when the emulation isn't 1:1 and no other mini before it has cost that much. How is that price tag justified?

No doubt it's subjective, but I am familiar with the PCE library. I used to own a Turbo Duo.
    Honestly the reason the PCE Mini is more is probably just because that's what they reckon they can get away with.

The market for it is a lot smaller than for the Nintendo and Sega minis, and they probably need to squeeze that smaller fanbase harder to make the Euro release worthwhile financially.

Comment

I'm happy with mine but I'm at the casual end of the scale. It's neat, generally looks great on the tv (no need for a crt or scaler), the selection of games is pretty decent (even though I wish it had Devil Crash and Gate of Thunder) ... and it feels like it was made with love and attention to detail with nice touches here and there. I do feel like it could have come with two controllers for the money though.

Comment

As for value comparison look at Sony and what they offered for the same price before it tanked and everywhere sold at fire clearance prices. And the game library in the PS1 mini was utter garbage i still even now can't believe they thought that games list was good, yeah i do agree the PCE is one of the more pricy minis but the game library is solid and an effort was clearly made on the look and the UI. Hell Sapphire alone for a real copy goes for £600-£1000 and the fact they plopped a copy on there is fantastic that made it almost worth it for that alone. Also with it having every rom type on there so the machine is capable of emulating all hardware configurations hucard/supercd/arcade cd/supergrafix once the hack is released its gonna get a lot better as in theory a lot of games are going to work. M2 did a pretty good job with the MD mini right off the bat the emulator worked with nearly all megadrive games with only a fraction not working right away they beat both of nintendo's minis in that respect as those needed a ton of work to bring the compatability ratio right up. Will be interesting to see once the hack is released and the compatability lists start appearing just how many games the emulator on the thing is capable of running.

So far i don't think any of the minis have been a letdown authenticity feeling wise (sony's only counting once it was hacked as then it became fantastic once you removed the trash they preinstalled) they provide a good enough experience for me that i can happily kill any desire to get real sfc/fc & md hardware ever again. PS1 been the exception as a lot of games have weird periperals and other oddities so i still go real for that. I love having a curated library of every game i ever liked on a machine condensed down into a small form factor and useable on a tv with no external scalers or other stuff. Mini consoles are one of the better things to come along in these last few years they bridge the gap between playing on real hardware or just clicking a rom on your pc and emulating with a generic pad.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          Honestly the reason the PCE Mini is more is probably just because that's what they reckon they can get away with.
          I guess it's more focused on the enthusiast market that is prepared to spend more. The Mega Drive was a huge thing in the West, so Sega wanted to attract mass market consumers with its Mini machine. The same with Nintendo and how you got two controllers with the SNES Mini in a reasonably priced package.

The price of the Mega Drive Mini gradually came down to between £50-£60, so I think that's probably a sensible price for Mini machines. I guess Konami don't feel that the PCE Mini will be a big thing in the West, so they've gone for a very high price.

If SNK release an AES Mini, I wouldn't be surprised if they took advantage of the brand's mystical status and charged more than £100.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 08-06-2020, 14:56.

Comment

Yeah, if they do an AES Mini, it will deffo be £150. SNK tax!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              Yeah, if they do an AES Mini, it will deffo be £150. SNK tax!
              Honestly though if it came with 2 full size sticks I'd be happy to pay £150

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                I'd be happy to pay £150
                If it were a really high quality product with perfect emulation and top quality controllers, I'd be prepared to pay a premium price. I'm susceptible to the Neo Geo's air of coolness, so SNK can take advantage of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  If it were a really high quality product with perfect emulation and top quality controllers, I'd be prepared to pay a premium price. I'm susceptible to the Neo Geo's air of coolness, so SNK can take advantage of me.
                  Ha ha exactly the same.
                  There are only 2 consoles I have coveted & never owned - PC Engine Duo & Neo Geo (AES or CD) & I would happily pay premium for a mini AES with perfect Emulation & 2 Sticks
                  I mean they did the Mini with 40 Games & that Gold X thing & even that new Stick one so an AES with all the gubbins shouldn't be beyond their means really
                  In fact load it up with every game they ever made & I'd happily drop somewhere near £200 for it, that's how much the SNK tax could get me for.

Neil

Comment

I'd rather they started making AES games again for like £100 to £200.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                      In fact load it up with every game they ever made & I'd happily drop somewhere near £200 for it, that's how much the SNK tax could get me for.
                      If they managed to deliver a vast library of games with no glaring omissions -- and if the overall quality of the product was top notch -- then I think they could get away with a £150-200 price point. I'm sure that a huge number of retro enthusiasts would grab one.

SNK just need to deliver a top quality product that does the brand justice. Then YouTube gamers would hype it up and it would sell really well. I hope it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                        I'd rather they started making AES games again for like £100 to £200.
                        That would be a nice for collectors, but I just wish the NEOSD was £150-200. I'd be happy with that, seeing I don't have loads of spare cash. The 350 Euro price point was too much for me.

Comment

Finally got mine from Amazon after a cock up with delivery address. Will take a gander tomorrow. Looks wicked FairPlay

Comment

Playing some Soldier Blade tonight and ****ing hell that's the stuff. They knocked it out of the park with that game. I'm not normally a fan of shmups that pepper powerups around the screen but they're so small here that I don't mind. After messing around with all three weapons the blue laser became my default for the way it just cuts through everything.

Comment

It's one of the systems best.

Comment

It seems like everything is conspiring to keep me from owning these minis. My original preorders sat for a year before been screwed up on relese as amazon said they couldn't process my card despite all other oders going through so i ended up cancelling. So months later i try again & sameproblem but i actually managed to get the order to be paid via dealing with the halifax visa people. Now my order has been posted off by tenso and 2 weeks later it still hasn't even left the country and i chose ems shipping, the rona crisis is causing delays but never expected it to take over 2 weeks to get from tokyo to the airport, hmm will i ever experience a pce mini or will i be forced to buy a supepr inflated one off ebay thats already in the country.

This better be worth the effort at this rate lol

Comment

Working...
                                X