PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by importaku View Post
    Screen was trash it was a victim of the technology at the time.
    I think the resolution of PCE games wasn't ideal for the GT screen, so there were issues. I've only used one once -- and that was back in 1993, so I can't remember what I thought of it. Lots of people say it was quite impressive for the time. But obviously.. that's probably not saying much compared to modern screen standards.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 08-08-2019, 19:57.

Comment

The GT certainly had a better screen than the Game Gear or Lynx but was still pretty poor. I must admit to being disappointed with the GT when I had one around 15 years ago. Was pretty awesome taking the Hu cards and sticking them right into a handheld.

A McWill style mod for the GT would be tremendous.

Comment

Konami’s mini TurboGrafx-16 and PC Engine combine cool hardware with great games

"Konami’s getting into the mini retro console game early next year with the release of the TurboGrafx-16 mini and its Japanese counterparts, the PC Engine mini and PC Engine CoreGrafx mini. All versions of the tiny console will include 57 games, offering ample nostalgia for those who rooted for the console forced to do battle with the Super NES and Sega Genesis.

And unlike the late ’80s system war of the time, the TurboGrafx-16 mini looks like it will hold its own against the likes of the Super NES Classic and Sega Genesis Mini.

The TurboGrafx-16 Mini and PC Engine Mini are playable at Tokyo Game Show this week, and the system looks incredibly promising, in no small part thanks to the high quality emulation from developer M2. The system itself feels accurate to the era; the TurboGrafx-16 mini controllers feel light and comfortable, just like the original, based on my hands-on time with the system. The TG-16 is big for a “mini” console, and not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the PC Engine version."

Comment

I remember ordering my GT via mail order from Telegames so so many years ago ,I even paid via postal orders, them were the days lol ....

Comment

Won’t be long for this. Had a preorder in from day one, just a bit gutting with the price.

Comment

Yeah, me too. Just hoping it's reassuringly expensive, like the Stella

Comment

Meh.

I'll probably pick one up but I can't say I'm bothered.

It's not like pre-orders have flown off the shelves for this. Similarly, the MD Mini has by all accounts failed to replicate the success of Nintendo's efforts given that it is still easily available to purchase and has recently had its prices slashed to near the £50/€50/$50 mark in the West.

The retro microconsole novelty fad clearly looks like it has died down now. I genuinely can't see anymore being made after the PCE/TG-16/CoreGrafx Mini drops given the lack of interest, Nintendo not being arsed about making an N64 Mini and the SoC tech not really being up to emulating the classic CD-based consoles (people hoping for a Dreamcast Mini or a Saturn Mini or a GameCube Mini are deluding themselves).

Comment

Less than a month! I'm quite looking forward to this

Comment

Unfair to gauge whether or not the MD Mini matched the success of the SNES Mini when Nintendo’s offering was plagued by factory shortages upon launch. It’s easy to make assumptions without knowing the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                      Unfair to gauge whether or not the MD Mini matched the success of the SNES Mini when Nintendo’s offering was plagued by factory shortages upon launch. It’s easy to make assumptions without knowing the numbers.
                      Not unfair in the slightest.

The MD Mini is still widely available everywhere and it isn't harsh to say that. It is a fact.

As for Nintendo's Mini consoles being plagues by factory shortages, I think we all know that it's far more likely that Nintendo deliberately underproduced them to artificially engineer hype and demand for them - a tactic that Nintendo have employed many, many times over the years.

Comment

At £99 quid, I'd just spend it on PC Engine games instead

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                          At £99 quid, I'd just spend it on PC Engine games instead
                          The price is probably why I've hesitated to pull the trigger on pre-ordering one tbh. These SoC emulators should be at an entry-level price and £100 isn't that imo.

Hell, purchasing an actual PCE and SD System 3 would provide more bang-for-buck than this.
                          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 27-02-2020, 08:24.

Comment

They are 11,100yen in japan approx £78 I have no idea why Konami think they can take the piss in europe. It’s like the neogeo mini all over again. Have some other stuff coming at same time so i’ll slip them into my tenso parcel i won’t be paying import duty that’s for damn sure lol

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                              The price is probably why I've hesitated to pull the trigger on pre-ordering one tbh. These SoC emulators should be at an entry-level price and £100 isn't that imo.

Hell, purchasing an actual PCE and a SD System 3 would provide more bang-for-buck than this.
                              Quite so, the electronics are buttons, and the software has already been done by the emulator scene. The most expensive cost will be the plastic tooling. And it will be all chinese anyway.

Comment

I'd say a Mini system with one controller is worth around £60 retail. No Mini system should be more than £80. I hope Konami see sense and make the price more attractive in the UK/Europe.

Comment

Working...
                                X