No announcement yet.

PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s amazing that it was made to compete against the famicom and mark iii yet it’s power made it easily be able to hold its own against the super fami & md, well upto a point as those 2 matured they eventually started out pacing the pce with the tricks they could do in games but even so stuff like sapphire puts other 8 bits to shame.

Comment

Yeah, it's easy to forget it's 8-bit with some of the games.

It was Paul Glancey that reviewed Gunhed (C&VG Issue 94, page 100).

Look at the warning that NEC had to post alongside the review!

Last edited by QualityChimp; 17-06-2019, 09:45.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
        yet it’s power made it easily be able to hold its own against the super fami & md, well upto a point as those 2 matured they eventually started out pacing the pce with the tricks they could do in games but even so stuff like sapphire puts other 8 bits to shame.
        Some developers didn't manage to take full advantage of the PCE, but those that did proved that it could hold its own against the Mega Drive and SNES. The MD and SNES have strong points over the PCE, but the PCE also has strong points over both. It can throw around sprites better than the SNES -- and its range of colours is nicer than the MD.

Something like Air Zonk wouldn't look as colourful on the Mega Drive -- and wouldn't run as well on the SNES. It's a technical marvel.

The Street Fighter 2 port is also really nice, with only the sound being a bit dodgy. Also, games that took advantage of the 'Arcade Card' show how well the hardware could be improved.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

It was Paul Glancey that reviewed Gunhed (C&VG Issue 94, page 100).
        I know Julian Rignall was into shooters and really liked Gunhed, so I thought he did the review. I loved C&VG back then.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-06-2019, 10:01.

Comment

I assumed Jaz did it in Mean Machines too, but it predated MM' publication, but there were tips in issue 0.

It's okay. it's inconsequential information to retain from 30 (*gulp*) years ago.
          I won't lose sleep for not knowing.

Comment

[MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] I’m totally with you on this. Playing old consoles that I never had access to back in the day does nothing for me I discovered but I will play Amiga games all day long even though there were better consoles out at that time.

Comment

I assumed Jaz did it in Mean Machines too, but it predated MM' publication, but there were tips in issue 0.

It's okay. it's inconsequential information to retain from 30 (*gulp*) years ago.
              It's not like they're going to ask that question on Eggheads.

I know that Julian Rignall loved shoot 'em ups though. I have a strong feeling he was a fan of Gunhed, so that's why I thought he did the review. I met him at a computer show in the early-90s -- was a very friendly guy.

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              Playing old consoles that I never had access to back in the day does nothing for me I discovered but I will play Amiga games all day long
              I'm the opposite. I love exploring machines that I didn't have access to as a kid/teen. I also get a kick out of reading stuff about computers and consoles that I wasn't heavily into, such as the ColecoVision, ZX Spectrum and C64. I have a crazy appetite for retro stuff. I've had a great time exploring the Atari 2600 library, after buying the machine a few years ago. I only had vague memories of playing a few 2600 games as a kid, but I really got a kick out of discovering which games are worth playing. So much so that I had the machine modded for RGB.

Comment

Is there any release date?

Comment

Yeah, it's easy to forget it's 8-bit with some of the games.
                  I think you have to avoid putting to much emphasis on bits. Whilst the PC Engine's CPU is 8 bit, it's a later version the 6502 family (found in the NES etc) and is pretty fast. Whilst there are definitely advantages to a 16 bit CPU, on their own bits are (to a point!) just marketing numbers. You have to look at the overall architecture and the PC Engine puts up a pretty good fight against the SNES/MD.

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  I'm the opposite. I love exploring machines that I didn't have access to as a kid/teen.
                  I'm totally with you on this. The PC Engine is just one example of a machine that I didn't own at the time, but I've bought more recently and have had a great time with. I really enjoy discovering what these consoles/games were actually like.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                    Is there any release date?
                    Haven't seen anything but I'm checking Nin-Nin daily in case pre-orders go up

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                      You have to look at the overall architecture and the PC Engine puts up a pretty good fight against the SNES/MD.
                      Yeah, the overall tech is capable of delivering a true 16-bit look and feel. Some games don't use the tech very well, but that's the same with the SNES and Mega Drive. Air Zonk is the game I'd use to demonstrate the PCE being fully utilised in all areas.

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                      I really enjoy discovering what these consoles/games were actually like.
                      It's why I'll never get bored of retro gaming. There's so much to explore. I know a lot of people simply get a kick out of nostalgia, but that emotion doesn't drive my retro obsession. I love all aspects of retro -- from the art design, music, how pick-up-and-play many games are, and also reading about tech specs and how people got the most out of old school hardware. I just hope Retro Gamer keeps going for many years to come.

Comment

PCエンジン mini, PCエンジン コアグラフィックス mini, ターボグラフィックス16 mini 公式サイト, PC Engine mini, PC Engine CoreGrafx mini, Turbo Grafx-16 mini Official Website

Official site is live, no new info that I could see at the moment.

Comment

Hmm interesting, seems M2 is doing the emulation on this thing according to the rumblings on the neogaf thread. If that's true looks like Konami is serious about this thing. Sony pay attention on how it's done lol

Comment

It's not like they're going to ask that question on Eggheads.

I know that Julian Rignall loved shoot 'em ups though. I have a strong feeling he was a fan of Gunhed, so that's why I thought he did the review. I met him at a computer show in the early-90s -- was a very friendly guy.
                            I love that people are talking about that issue of C&VG since I still have that one somewhere (I only kept 2-3 issues). I was actually surprised *at the time* that it was Paul Glancey who reviewed it because I'm sure Julian Rignall had been going on about how good Gunhed was in a previous issue. Also he was the PC Engine guy.

The other thing was that my friend had a PC Engine and I had an Amiga so I was looking at the Xenon II review (which I'm sure was in the same issue) and it got exactly the same score as Gunhed did. Which made me happy. I also think that Xenon II was reviewed by Paul Glancey. It makes me wonder if they wrote the wrong name under the Gunhed review now or maybe they gave both those games to Glancey on purpose to be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
                              because I'm sure Julian Rignall had been going on about how good Gunhed was in a previous issue. Also he was the PC Engine guy.
                              Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Julian really liked Gunhed. When Retro Gamer did an article on the PC Engine, they interviewed Julian and he talked about how incredible the machine was back in the day.

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
                              The other thing was that my friend had a PC Engine and I had an Amiga so I was looking at the Xenon II review (which I'm sure was in the same issue) and it got exactly the same score as Gunhed did. Which made me happy. I also think that Xenon II was reviewed by Paul Glancey. It makes me wonder if they wrote the wrong name under the Gunhed review now or maybe they gave both those games to Glancey on purpose to be fair.
                              Maybe it was a mistake. When it comes to Xenon II, I remember thinking the graphics and sound were impressive, but I didn't enjoy playing it. Gunhed is more my cup of tea.

Comment

Maybe it was a mistake. When it comes to Xenon II, I remember thinking the graphics and sound were impressive, but I didn't enjoy playing it. Gunhed is more my cup of tea.
                                It also seemed odd than neither review mentioned the other game also.

For sure Gunhed is the better game but back then Xenon 2 would have made more of an impact graphically and sonically which probably artificially raised the score. I'm not 100% sure - but doesn't Xenon 2 just run in 16 colours? Looks good for it!

Comment

Working...
                                X