PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
    AES Mini is what we really need, then the golden generation is complete.
    If SNK STILL can't see this at this point when it's basically been staring them in the face the whole time, it's never going to happen.

Comment

Yeah...um....£100 isn't what I'm willing to pay for any Mini retroconsole. Not now when the whole market for these things is dead on its arse.

As far as this is concerned, more bang-for-buck to be had if I sourced original hardware and purchased an SD Super System 3 from Terraonion, surely?

I think I'll wait and see if Amazon cut the price.
      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 07-06-2020, 12:55.

Comment

Been playing on it this morning. The lag really is hit and miss with Bonk being the worst affected. I noticed it in Ninja Gaiden as well but that could be because I'm so familiar with the NES game. Sometimes the scanlines don't look right when there's vertical scrolling. It only affects the odd game but I can't help but notice it.

Game wise, the only PC Engine games I've put serious time into previously is Air Zonk and Ys IV so I've been digging in. Ninja Spirit oozes atmosphere, I had a lot of fun with that. I love the jumping, and the attacking/blocking. It's far better than the rubbish Ninja Gaiden port. Sapphire kicked my arse but I kept getting distracted by the visuals! Weapon sound is weak though.

I still need to spend more time with it but it's been fun so far

Comment

Sapphire is amazing like, I got a ton of Engine games a while back, and there was a disc only PPE Works version of Sapphire mixed amongst the lot. I was stunned when I saw it in action!

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            Yeah...um....£100 isn't what I'm willing to pay for any Mini retroconsole. Not now when the whole market for these things is dead on its arse.

As far as this is concerned, more bang-for-buck to be had if I sourced original hardware and purchased an SD Super System 3 from Terraonion, surely?

I think I'll wait and see if Amazon cut the price.
            I dunno. Original hardware in decent nick and a Super System 3 plus shipping and import tax is probably gonna end up running you £350 to £400.

Like, it's better, but it's way more cash.

Really the best bang for buck would be to buy the 8BitDo PCE pad for £22 on Amazon and then use it while emulating the games on your PC, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              I dunno. Original hardware in decent nick and a Super System 3 plus shipping and import tax is probably gonna end up running you £350 to £400.

Really the best bang for buck would be to buy the 8BitDo PCE pad for £22 on Amazon and then use it while emulating the games on your PC, to be honest.
              Yep, pair it with RetroArch and it's low lag mode and you're sorted.

Comment

Considering the care that’s gone into the UI and the sheer number of games, I think £100 still represents good value. It’s less than £2 per game ffs.

And people here are happy to splash £300 on a boxed SNES game at the blink of an eye...

Comment

And people here are happy to splash £300 on a boxed SNES game at the blink of an eye...
                  I wish I were one of them. But even if I did have loads of cash, I'd probably be able to resist. I personally don't think any game is worth £100+. I remember when people thought retro games like Rondo of Blood selling for £50 was a lot.

Comment

I've spent a couple of hours with this today.

Missing a few classics, but overall a great selection of games. Looks nice, no problem with the build quality, really nice interface and the lag feels fine so far.

I'm struggling a bit with the controller though. I find it hard to hold in a way that doesn't hurt my thumb! I actually experienced a similar thing when I bought my PC Engine, so I picked up a Hori Fighting Commander which feels a lot nicer. This feels stiffer than the orignal pad, the diagonals can be a bit iffy and I just can't get comfortable with it so far.

Comment

i can assure you that I'm not in that group of people, whoever they are on here.

The EverDrive carts have completely destroyed that notion for me. I'll shell out for OG hardware in good condition, but never again will I be purchasing OG software at overinflated market prices and I couldn't give a phuk if that makes me a Pirate.
                      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 07-06-2020, 21:36.

Comment

An OG PCE + SD Super System 3 is still more bang-for-buck than a cheap SoC device (made for a lot lot less) that likely still cannot emulate said games 100% properly but yet is still overpriced. The Nintendo Classic Minis didn't come in with a £100 RRP so the PCE Mini doing so is inexcusable imo.

Couldn't care less about using PCs to emulate at this point but yes, it would be the method that would provide the most grunt to do it properly outside of OG hardware.
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 07-06-2020, 21:31.

Comment

Well, OK, you asked the question 'Is this more bang for a buck?', I gave you my opinion, now it turns out you knew the answer after all!

In the end it's completely subjective. All of these games can realistically be played for free on an emulator on a computer or a Wii or something, so it's how much extra cash it's worth it to you to have them in a fun shell (the Mini) or on proper hardware with the Super System etc.

I'm not personally wanting to spend £100 on this either, but then I'm also trying to cut down on the amount of stuff I own like this. It's actually made me want to fire up some of the games on an emulator though. I'm not familiar with the PCE library at all.

Comment

Well, OK, you asked the question 'Is this more bang for a buck?', I gave you my opinion, now it turns out you knew the answer after all!

In the end it's completely subjective. All of these games can realistically be played for free on an emulator on a computer or a Wii or something, so it's how much extra cash it's worth it to you to have them in a fun shell (the Mini) or on proper hardware with the Super System etc.

I'm not personally wanting to spend £100 on this either, but then I'm also trying to cut down on the amount of stuff I own like this. It's actually made me want to fire up some of the games on an emulator though. I'm not familiar with the PCE library at all.
                            I mean, I'd like to think that maybe the point I'm getting at is regarding the authenticity, hence why I mentioned OG hardware in the first place. I'm fully aware that I can play these on Wii via homebrew emulation - I've done just that - and guess what? The experience isn't a great one IMO.

It's quite obvious that the PCE Mini is cheaper. But I don't see why it should carry a £100 RRP when the emulation isn't 1:1 and no other mini before it has cost that much. How is that price tag justified?

No doubt it's subjective, but I am familiar with the PCE library. I used to own a Turbo Duo.
                            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 08-06-2020, 05:26.

Comment

How is PC Engine emulation on a raspberry pie 4 with retro pie? After seeing some youtube videos Im seriously considering getting that and having it be my all in one retro device instead of having a ton of consoles laying about and a mass of wires

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                                How is PC Engine emulation on a raspberry pie 4 with retro pie? After seeing some youtube videos Im seriously considering getting that and having it be my all in one retro device instead of having a ton of consoles laying about and a mass of wires
                                Interesting idea, especially as it has enough USB ports to house 8bitdo dongles for SNES, MD and PCE pads simultaneously. Just pick up the pad for the system you want to play!

Comment

Working...
                                X