Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women's World Cup 2019 - anyone here interested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
    Lucy Bronze is for me our best player, her footy brain is excellent and was saying the other day that she behaves on the field just like a top male player would.
    Bronze was excellent in the last WC, scoring an absolute belter. Although she doesn't play central she reminds me of Brian Robson.

Steph Houghton is another very good player, absolutely brilliant at tackling.
    Quite a few of the squad cut their teeth at Sunlun. Bronze, Scott, Houghton, Telford, Stokes, Staniforth and Mead.

Comment

Also has come to light one of the Cameroon players was shown spitting at an england players arm

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
        The referee lost control and ignored blatant verbal and general dissent from the whole Cameroon team. I think she may even have been pushed by one of their players too.
        Doesn't sound as though the women's game is all that different to me

Comment

In a World Cup match that sort of intimidating behaviour by the whole team is unusual.

You see some odd things in international games over the years and, particularly in the distant past (60s/70s), sometimes appallingly brutal play by today's standard. But that was then.

^ That's the stroppy northern team MU I believe . I'd certainly feel 'under pressure' having both Roy Keane and Jaap Stam shouting in my face. It could be his brother Gary but it also looks to me suspiciously like it is Phil Neville hiding behind Ryan Giggs in that photo too.

Comment

Yep it's MU with manager Phil sticking his oar in.

Once of the Cameroonians spat on Duggan, it looked like an accident but you never know and if you are going to gob then point your face downwards unless you have the appropriate jaw control.

Comment

This week's Squires has it perfectly nailed on..!

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                Bronze was excellent in the last WC, scoring an absolute belter.
                Lucy scores another corker tonight, well done to the ladies.

Next one will be much tougher but am sure they will give it a good go.

Comment

Norway were a pale shadow of themselves in their previous game and England scored at just the right times to knock the stuffing out of them psychologically. Three goals mitigated any defensive mistakes and that was a good thing too because Norway could have easily scored two, maybe three goals from chances gifted to them by English players' mistakes.

If I see another England women's defender try to dribble the ball, 'cleverly' out of the 18 yard box and even the 6 yard box on one occasion I'm going to go ballistic. Who on earth has taught them to do that? Likewise, that regular bizarre decision making to pass the ball back, sometimes all the way to the goal keeper, when it had been in the Norway last third only moments before. That was just frustratingly bad football and almost beyond endurance.

So many times England slowed their attack down allowing the Norwegian defence to reset the result became utterly predictable. An England player makes a poor pass and back it goes to the opposition. I suppose we should be thankful the Norwegians were almost as bad in that respect too.

It should have been blatantly obvious the Norwegians were vulnerable to quick counter attacks because two of England's goals and other best chances came from such fast moves. If England come up against a team that has a good defence and midfield who actually know what they're doing and they use that slow build up again they'll be lucky even to get a sniff of goal for the whole game.

Speed down both the wings seem to be England's USP and that is what will win them more games not the cautious, slow build up they seem to have been told to do.

Comment

I tuned in about the 60 minute mark where they were 3-0 up.
                    Watched for 15 minutes and couldn't work out why they were in the lead because they were really sloppy, made loads of mistakes and were lucky none of the Norwegians goals went in.

Comment

That's it - England are sloppy in defence and midfield giving away the ball far too often but...............they're actually not that much worse in this respect than any of the other teams they faced so far.

I think they have a good chance of getting to the final if they continue to be allowed to play to their strength. But eventually they're likely to come up against a team who are canny enough to be able to deal with that speed down the flanks, make less mistakes themselves and punish England's mistakes more severely.

EDIT

The Germans losing to the Swedes was a bit unexpected.

EDIT 03.07.19

So England lost with a 'goal' discounted for being offside, correctly, by VAR and a pretty poor missed penalty.

Decent performance and watchable game but they were still doing all the things wrong described earlier. The US made less mistakes, controlled the game well into the second half 2-1 ahead and only when England stepped up the pace did those real goal scoring chances start coming. But they did not convert them and went out as yet another England football team who had a genuine potential to win the competition but.......................didn't.
                      Last edited by fallenangle; 03-07-2019, 03:10.

Comment

Working...
                      X