User Tag List

Women's World Cup 2019 - anyone here interested?

Topic.

USA beat Thailand 13-0. Saw that and kept watching as it was football history in the making but the rest, so far, I'm wondering why I bothered. That sort of gap between the best teams and the worst is like an indicator of how far the women's game has improved over the last decade or more. But the fact there are still international sides qualifying who are so completely out of their depth also says a lot.
    Last edited by fallenangle; 14-06-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
    Topic.

USA beat Thailand 13-0. Saw that and kept watching as it was football history in the making but the rest, so far, I'm wondering why I bothered. That sort of gap between the best teams and the worst is like an indicator of how far the womens' game has improved over the last decade or more. But the fact there are still international sides qualifying who are so completely out of their depth also says a lot.
    I do see what you're saying, but I don't necessarily agree with all of it.

Let's not kid ourselves here: That is precisely what would happen if San Marino/Luxembourg/Malta, etc. ever got into a Men's World Cup or European Championships.

It's not so long ago that we were watching Germany thrash Brazil 7-1 in a Men's World Cup semi-final, after all.

I was not going to go down this controversial route and I definitely do not mean this to be some misogynistic, sexist rant it is just that I can not see how any knowledgeable viewer of the beautiful game can witness this 'quality' of football without criticism.

The USA team have been the only women's side I've seen that can actually play a decent game in all parts of the pitch and they'd still be owned by most non-league men's teams. It just is not good football to watch in comparison to the men's game and no amount of BBC hype can disguise that.

It is cheap football on TV and lots of extra career opportunities and world travel for their stable of commentators and ex-player pundits. It ticks so many boxes and that is why it is getting this depth of coverage but at the same time that is exposing it to honest scrutiny.

I just feel it is a case of the empresses' new clothes and that nobody is actually being truthful about what they're seeing. Gender is irrelevant - it is, a lot of the time, simply not good football.

Discuss.
    Last edited by fallenangle; 14-06-2019 at 11:39 AM.