SGF 2024 General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
    When ever I see the term influencer, I want to launch the alpha-omega, and damn all the apes (especially quality chimp).
    I'd take one for the team having read that article and bringing up a bit of sick in my mouth. Main culprits:
    "fan, media, and influencer festival"
    "experience hubs"
    "influencer and paid celebrity deals"
    "members of the Los Angeles Lakers could play a basketball video game in front of fans."
    “queuetainment”
    "an additional 10,000 attendees, bringing the total number of consumers on the show floor to 25,000"
    "industry-only day"
    "major data breach leaked the personal details of more than 2,000 media and influencer attendees this year"
    "the ESA hasn't provided any substantial reassurance that it will be safe for media to attend going forward."

Comment

I shudder to think how this will affect the PS5 and Xbox console releases next year...

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        I actually disagree; I think that while this will remain "a thing", I see it trending downwards - it has been ever since advertising watchdogs crashed the party of the peak of YouTube "influencers" a couple of years ago, who were essentially acting as unregulated advertisers and selling products to YouTube's audience, which at the time was a relatively young age group - hell, many of them were registered with "talent agencies" that were essentially advertising firms under a different name. They knowingly took money from big companies to sell products to impressionable kids; it was going on all over YouTube but of particular note were the makeup tutorials that were aimed at teen girls. It's no wonder the area grew so fast when it was doing something that would later be considered illegal.

The recent "increase in volume" that has come out of this is due to companies who want promotion being more shrewd with their money, leading to bigger and louder micro-celebs who are fighting over what's left. That's why you're seeing so many endorsements for services like SkillShare or VPNs, because those fair better in the "new normal" of YouTube stars actually having to tell people if they're endorsing something.

It'll reach some kind of equilibrium, of course. It isn't "going away", but I don't think YouTube influencers will reach the peak of around the time of the Fyre Festival fiasco in terms of their own revenue (outside of the very top tier, 5-10m+ subs). It'll only rise again when they find something else to do which they basically know, if they'd ever admit it to themselves, should-be-illegal-but-isn't-yet.
        I hear you that having gone through the Wild West phase, we’ll reach some kind of equilibrium in terms of how these people are able to monetise themselves. But it’s such a broad term - it can apply to almost anyone with a sufficiently strong and cultivated social following that it can generate revenue - that I just can’t see how it will be going away at all.

I actually think it will get bigger. For Gen Z, the idea of celebrities being people whose Instagrams or YouTube channels have taken off is totally normalised. It’s a faster route for people to build celebrity than we’ve ever had before, and I don’t think some regulations around certain aspects of its monetisation will at all slow its growth long term.

Comment

To greet someone, you may say "hello", shake hands or maybe fist bump.

In the near future, people will greet one another with the standardised point down and "remember to click like and hit that subscribe button."

I found this article interesting about an Instagram "influencer" that appeared to reap the rewards of the hard work her best friend put into the account:

However, now it's looking like Hollywood are thinking of a way to tell the story:
          Natalie Beach, who came out as the ghost writer for Instagram-influencer-turned-failed-memoirist Caroline Calloway in an article on the 'Cut,' is now being represented by CAA—and her viral piece has become a hot commodity in Hollywood.

Comment

Coming 2021 to a Cinema near you:

The Unsocial Network

Comment

UPDATE 14/1/20: E3 organiser the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) has now responded to Sony's decision to skip …

Sony skipping E3 2020 is now official.

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has talked up the importance of E3 in 2020, following rival PlayStation's decision not to show u…

Microsoft have confirmed they'll be doing something to coincide with E3 though even if not at the events stage itself

Comment

E3 2020 is unsurprisingly cancelled. Just pending the official confirmation.

It looks like E3 is cancelled - Announcement reportedly imminent (Eurogamer).

E3 2020 is cancelled, with an announcement due soon, according to multiple sources.

Hotline Miami publisher Devolver Digital took to Twitter last night to say: "Cancel your E3 flights and hotels, y'all." This tweet sparked a number of reports, each claiming E3 is off.

Comment

You would think E3 would learn, but they've leaked the attendance list again.

Comment

With the money lost it really raises the question of how much longer it'll survive

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      With the money lost it really raises the question of how much longer it'll survive
                      Not much longer, I'd wager.

E3's days are numbered. The writing has been on the proverbial for a while now with Sony, Nintendo and MS looking to do their own announcements, and the coronavirus pandemic may well prove to be the tipping point.

Comment

I'll miss Bethesda's screaming fake fangirl who tries to encite the rest of the audience.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                          I'll miss Bethesda's screaming fake fangirl who tries to encite the rest of the audience.
                          YYYEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

* A guy wasn't it? I'm thinking of 2019's presentation.

Comment

I distinctively remember a girl screaming at almost every word the person on stage spoke. Pretty sure there were guys too, half the audience at their presentations were paid actors, judging by the cheerful reactions that Fallout 76 and the mobile Elder Scrolls got.

Comment

Ubisoft and MS lock down E3 2020 timed digital events as a replacement

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                                YYYEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

* A guy wasn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X