No announcement yet.

SGF 2024 General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Despite having a PS5 I'm not that interested in what Sony has to show but I think it's because there's little issue in terms of stuff coming from them so I'm more reassured that stuff is inbound.

For MS I assume it'll be Forza and several Bethesda games getting showcased. Hopefully something of note there but given the rumours it's a muddle as to whether we're going to see Forza 8 or Horizon 5. To be honest, it'll be interesting to see if there's a surge in content from them and how much of that comes from the acquisitions as it could be an interesting insight into how dire first party project development was from the company. Either way, I'm hopeful for a lot of imminent arrivals as without them I think we could be seeing XSX finding itself market capped like XBO became.

Nintendo. Well, Christ. Anything of interest. I'm so tired of being slowly slowly dripfed titles and reveals which for a very long time now haven't even been interesting ones either. Feels like forever since a game of real appeal hit the system which is why I've been replaying so much on it. This is absolute peak era for Switch so multiple projects of interest is my minimal interest level. Switch Pro I don't care about, useless without the games to take advantage of it and they don't and won't exist

Comment

I'm sure they can tease Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Pro to tempt you...

Two more tracks and an extra kart no one asked for. Can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post

They need another 40m sales from mk8 so that should do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post

And it's only available for 2 months before it's gone forever...

Comment

As fan registration opens for access to the E3 2021 portal and app, organizers have released a tentative schedule of virtual press conferences for the four-day event, starting with Ubisoft and Gearbox Entertainment on Saturday, June 12, and ending with Nintendo on Tuesday, June 15.

More presentations confirmed:

Saturday, June 12
            • Broadcast pre-show starts at 1 p.m. Eastern
            • E3 2021 will kick off with press conferences from Ubisoft and Gearbox Entertainment, as well as a session with GamesBeat.

Sunday, June 13
            • Broadcast pre-show starts at 11:45 a.m. Eastern
            • Microsoft’s Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase starts at 1 p.m. Eastern
            • Special presentations from Square Enix, the PC Gaming Show, and the Future Games Show.
            • Warner Bros. Games, Back4Blood and 24 Entertainment will also be featured.

Monday, June 14
            • Broadcast pre-show starts at 11:00 a.m. Eastern
            • Alongside press conferences from several indie developers, presentations from Take-Two Interactive, Mythical Games, Freedom Games, Razer, and Capcom will take place throughout the day.
            • Verizon and Intellivision will also be featured, along with a session with VENN.

Tuesday, June 15
            • Broadcast pre-show starts at 11:00 a.m. Eastern
            • The last day of E3 will include Nintendo’s Nintendo Direct and Nintendo Treehouse: Live programming starting at noon Eastern.
            • BANDAI NAMCO, Yooreka Games, and GameSpot will also have events.
            • The broadcast will round out with the Official E3 2021 Awards Show.

Comment

I wonder where Sony is going to put a State of play. After square Enix?

Comment

Deep Silver has confirmed that Dead Island 2, TimeSplitters 4, Saints Row V and Metro 4 all won't be at E3.

Comment

The return of E3 after its 2020 cancellation may be something of an experiment in many ways, but for the major companie…

An opinion piece on the big three and how MS has a ton to prove at this years E3 and a failure to do so could drag the platform down all generation.

Taking the main points:

Sony's Position
                  I'd agree with this to a fair extent. A month ago we seemed to get a glut of opinion pieces and video commentators bleating on about how worried they were for Sony and the PlayStation 5 - a vocal wave very quickly silenced and made to look stupid when the figures came in and showed how strong the system was doing. I think the writers broadly right here, people love the transition era drama and we're all used to seeing a market leader completely fumble the ball most generations. It's unusual to have the market leader smoothly transition to their next platform and so far Sony has gracefully managed that situation which has kept last generations competitive situation in place. The only part I'd question is Sony's need to come up with a Game Pass answer. The more time passes the more I'm suspecting that the truth is that Sony doesn't need an answer to it and may never have one. Game Pass is Microsoft's answer to the relative failure of the Xbox One, a route to growth and profit in a market where its two most direct rivals have squeezed them out. Consumers are voting in their millions with their wallets in chasing PS5 and Switch under the old model and Game Pass has been a great profit driver but still largely exists within the pre-existing Xbox ecosystem (hence MS's ambitions to grow beyond that). Unless Sony see's evidence that MS stands to greatly succeed where Amazon, Google, Ouya, OnLive etc have failed then there's no need to sink millions into such a venture and I suspect they feel it won't happen on the scale MS is aiming for.

Breaking the tie
                  I think the Xbox is at a bigger disadvantage than the article suggests. The performance of the machines is very similar but their commercial performance we know isn't. MS is making less, has sold less and demand is less - that showcases whilst their is some power to the brand it's gone into this generation still in the position where the hardware (just like the absence of impact the XBX had) doesn't and hasn't swayed the market.

Acquisitions Showcase
                  I think their right that Bethesda probably isn't the magic key gaming fans think it is. As is pointed out, the acquisition is still with wet ink and Bethesda is a company with steady titles but one that only occasionally delivers the big hitters most care about with none of them due to arrive in a perfectly timed swoop for Xbox. I think this is why Starfield is such a focus despite so little to grasp on it being worth that trust. We're at the point where the original buyouts should be showing bearing some fruit, at least enough to unveil and build up some excitement even if the release dates remain out of reach of 2021. They need to be major titles too, the smaller projects carried over barely get noticed and titles like Psychonauts 2 are nice for fans but are lucky they exist at all and probably wouldn't have been commissioned post-buyout because they're far too niche.

Nintendo
                  This seems on point, the only real issue at play here is the ongoing Switch Pro saga and the disappointment it's likely sewing. That's not really on Nintendo's head, they've never even acknowledged its existence so speaking out to set expectations isn't their responsibility but the article is right that E3 may be a stumbler for the company if it sticks to history and leaves a reveal to closer to the systems launch date - especially if its double impacted by the eventual reveal confirming it's a mild refresh and not powered by the might of God as some expect. Software wise, doesn't really matter does it? It's selling like hotcakes no matter how much Nintendo dials down the effort so hardly a concern there.

I think in essence the article is right - E3 will prove most important to Microsoft of the three. Even if it's one project that has everyone paying attention and wows - even one not imminently releasing - it needs to be shown. Xbox is cruising along in the trail of two absolute hurtling freight trains and needs something to snap gamers attentions. Waiting for 2022 will be a wait too long - again - and Halo: Infinite... even Forza Horizon 5, are not going to be that game.

Comment

Valve are coming to E3... and they want to talk about Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-prove-opinion
                      An opinion piece on the big three and how MS has a ton to prove at this years E3 and a failure to do so could drag the platform down all generation.

Taking the main points:

Sony's Position
                      I'd agree with this to a fair extent. A month ago we seemed to get a glut of opinion pieces and video commentators bleating on about how worried they were for Sony and the PlayStation 5 - a vocal wave very quickly silenced and made to look stupid when the figures came in and showed how strong the system was doing. I think the writers broadly right here, people love the transition era drama and we're all used to seeing a market leader completely fumble the ball most generations. It's unusual to have the market leader smoothly transition to their next platform and so far Sony has gracefully managed that situation which has kept last generations competitive situation in place. The only part I'd question is Sony's need to come up with a Game Pass answer. The more time passes the more I'm suspecting that the truth is that Sony doesn't need an answer to it and may never have one. Game Pass is Microsoft's answer to the relative failure of the Xbox One, a route to growth and profit in a market where its two most direct rivals have squeezed them out. Consumers are voting in their millions with their wallets in chasing PS5 and Switch under the old model and Game Pass has been a great profit driver but still largely exists within the pre-existing Xbox ecosystem (hence MS's ambitions to grow beyond that). Unless Sony see's evidence that MS stands to greatly succeed where Amazon, Google, Ouya, OnLive etc have failed then there's no need to sink millions into such a venture and I suspect they feel it won't happen on the scale MS is aiming for.

Breaking the tie
                      I think the Xbox is at a bigger disadvantage than the article suggests. The performance of the machines is very similar but their commercial performance we know isn't. MS is making less, has sold less and demand is less - that showcases whilst their is some power to the brand it's gone into this generation still in the position where the hardware (just like the absence of impact the XBX had) doesn't and hasn't swayed the market.

Acquisitions Showcase
                      I think their right that Bethesda probably isn't the magic key gaming fans think it is. As is pointed out, the acquisition is still with wet ink and Bethesda is a company with steady titles but one that only occasionally delivers the big hitters most care about with none of them due to arrive in a perfectly timed swoop for Xbox. I think this is why Starfield is such a focus despite so little to grasp on it being worth that trust. We're at the point where the original buyouts should be showing bearing some fruit, at least enough to unveil and build up some excitement even if the release dates remain out of reach of 2021. They need to be major titles too, the smaller projects carried over barely get noticed and titles like Psychonauts 2 are nice for fans but are lucky they exist at all and probably wouldn't have been commissioned post-buyout because they're far too niche.

Nintendo
                      This seems on point, the only real issue at play here is the ongoing Switch Pro saga and the disappointment it's likely sewing. That's not really on Nintendo's head, they've never even acknowledged its existence so speaking out to set expectations isn't their responsibility but the article is right that E3 may be a stumbler for the company if it sticks to history and leaves a reveal to closer to the systems launch date - especially if its double impacted by the eventual reveal confirming it's a mild refresh and not powered by the might of God as some expect. Software wise, doesn't really matter does it? It's selling like hotcakes no matter how much Nintendo dials down the effort so hardly a concern there.

I think in essence the article is right - E3 will prove most important to Microsoft of the three. Even if it's one project that has everyone paying attention and wows - even one not imminently releasing - it needs to be shown. Xbox is cruising along in the trail of two absolute hurtling freight trains and needs something to snap gamers attentions. Waiting for 2022 will be a wait too long - again - and Halo: Infinite... even Forza Horizon 5, are not going to be that game.
                      I kinda agree and disagree with this. I think Sony have more to prove than being suggested regardless of how many units they've sold through (to scalpers) to date... It is generally cool to pick holes in the market leader but really where there's smoke there's fire.

I think the recent cross gen support announcements from them around the big franchises combined with other missteps over the past few months have clearly put them in a little damage control. It isn't all plain sailing as the numbers suggest, but again there are some simple fixes and then some potentially strategy changing ones they might not be able to achieve.

I'm sure Sony will continue to do what they do well, which is sell triple A titles at an absolute premium. But I do still question how long they can rely on just that in light of how the market is changing.

As for Microsoft. I agree they have a lot of prove but I don't think it's nearly as dramatic as prove it now or you fail. We're still in a pre-game pass exclusive era... In that we know all first party titles are included in that service, yet we are still waiting for some major ones to arrive.

For me all Microsoft really needs to do is show titles which are ready to be shown (i.e. gameplay) and hopefully give a clear roadmap of the next 18 months of releases. We know Forza Horizon 5 is in there, as well as Halo Infinite, possibly Flight Simulator... And I am sure there's a few surprises. For me what Microsoft now has to prove is the "real" value of game pass.

I think that is going to set them in good stead for the coming years...

Nintendo, well they've just got to show some new titles. BOTW2 would be nice, alongside the reported Pro hardware... They're taking in the hardware sales with now but for me they need some big hitter titles to go with it.

Comment

That Gamesindustry.biz rundown is a nice read.

I agree with the central thesis that it's Microsoft who should be having the most interesting show by far - it's certainly theirs that I'm most curious to see.

I'd also echo you NI in questioning the writer's thinking that Sony really need something to counter Game Pass. They've got a few bits and pieces - the PS+ games, that collection of PS4 games you get on PS5, and PS Now, and it feels like if they wanted to, they could accelerate and scale up the development of those to a Game Pass competitor quite quickly. But do they need to? It's still an open question. Strategically I think they're quite well positioned currently either way.

Comment

The cross-gen furore has been an awkward one, Sony should have been more up front about their intentions on the PS4 versions rather than allow the perception to breed that the games weren't coming to that system but I very strongly suspect it's a furore contained to enthusiast circles only that won't impact the system or Sony at all in real terms. That GT7 is PS4 based is hardly a revelation, the series has famously carried over assets and physics from older entries for donkeys years now to the extent naivety would lead to a belief otherwise, the little shown so far doesn't even look truly next-gen as it is and the project length would have likely dictated a PS4 origin as well.

God of War... yeah, that one is far enough out I can see why people would be annoyed but given the nature of the series I'm not sure it'll have much real impact anyway. Don't get me wrong, the holdover from current gen will limit stuff in the short term but it really emphasises the folly of MS's approach more than Sony's as MS has the more open intention to support all Xbox platforms going forward.

Critically, the real hurdle is the celebrated support for PC, realistically both companies aren't going to open up to that market and create games with a dependency on specs that outstrips the mid-lower end of the market where most gamers lie too. We'll likely see current gen support end publically long before we get truly next-gen embracing titles arrive. Messaging is the real issue on Sony's part, they played their hand more heavily into not being cross-gen when they are (even if there are more next-gen only titles on their slate releasing too) but it's hard for them to be hurt by it when their key rival lacks a line up of note almost entirely across both gens currently. Looking at the situation of the market in general... I'm not sure there's any real sign that the market is changing. Thirst for the traditional experience is incredibly strong right now and the only real new factor on the market is Game Pass which... I just don't think is going to change anything in the end. I think Game Pass is Xbox's future - and that will be the limit it hits hard.

Comment

Yeah I think if Sony had said exactly what MS said, in that they'd support PS4 for 2+ more years on selected triple A titles they'd still have sold bundles of PS5 units without annoying people.

It's the fact they've held back the truth that hurts as it just builds distrust in the community. In isolation it's only one thing but when you add the few other things recently like almost shuttering down servers etc... You wonder what they're doing and whether it's pro consumer.

Microsoft aren't immune to this either, but I think even though they've a lot to prove they've been quite upfront about their plan, goals and where they are in the process ...

Comment

MS need to show games at E3 and they need to be coming out this year if they hope to get sales come Xmas.

Comment

As an aside, dipping into the PS5 subreddit and the seriesX subreddit and comparing the two tells a story.
                                PS5 sub they are talking about Ratchet and Clank and Returnal and horizon and the FF7R Update with a sense of excitement.
                                SeriesX sub is full of people saying they've bought one, talk of rumours, the menus and pictures of past gen games looking better. It feels like a waiting room.

Comment

Working...
                                X