No announcement yet.

SGF 2024 General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the original ps4 design is pretty good (not the slim or pro). Probably the best looking Sony console. Although I have a soft spot for the ps2. The one X is a much better looking console then the original model, but not exactly a looker.
    I think the Wii is my personal favourite. Very simple and clean.

Comment

I liked how the Wii was uber basic in design but by having that blue lit disc slot and a standing base that slanted it to an angle it artificially gave it a sharper look than it really had

Comment

I liked the look of the PS4 when it came out, but I think it has dated very quickly as a result. The Slim and pro models seem unusually half hearted on their designs as they’ve tried to remove that , yet retain the form

Comment

Just be happy the PS4(and Pro) don't look like this.

Comment

Just a search for purely the term 'Playstation 5' immediately brought up these uninspired efforts:

They always assume the company will do a cut n shut of the existing system

Comment

Me eyes!

Comment

E3 is dead, long live beardy hipster E3...

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                  E3 is dead, long live beardy hipster E3...

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ival_next_year
                  When ever I see the term influencer, I want to launch the alpha-omega, and damn all the apes (especially quality chimp).

Comment

I know E3 was dying, but this...jeez!
                    Basically Pewdiepie and all the other internet bellends will swamp the place and 'talk' about videogames like they are 12 year old. No thanks.

Comment

It's a Band-Aid, as much as it's the current thing with the whole Blog Celebrity thing, it's not going to last. We've already started to see the main wave start to crumble thanks to how often one gets toppled for doing or saying the wrong thing, we're already at the point where they're becoming formal marketing tools for major companies which is counter to the reason they were popular to begin with. We're a short step away from having Pewdiepie or Ninja airing from games events being no different than watching Major Nelson present from it either in most people's eyes. It's a generational bubble movement that's already showing signs of strain before it bursts and the next thing comes in - that's fine but E3 will need to think bigger if it wants to remain relevant.

Comment

E3 aside, I'd disagree with that. The fact is, becoming legit famous based on internet content you've made off your own back is totally viable in 2019, and I don't see that changing at all. They're referred to as 'influencers' but you could also just call them 'people who make really popular free content'. I don't see 'people who make really popular free content' going anywhere any time soon (until the world implodes due to climate death, at least).

Regarding E3 though, well....currently the show lives and dies by the fact that it's where the big announcements happen. They are probably trying to build a fallback here for if that goes away. It's not a horrible idea, but you can't but feel if they lost those big announcements from the 800lb industry gorillas, the show would disappear pretty quickly, no matter how many Pewdiepies they recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                          They're referred to as 'influencers' but you could also just call them 'people who make really popular free content'.
                          In my case, I have a specific ire reserved for the actual term "influencer", rather than the people themselves.

It's supposed to mean the sort of person who is a professional advertising shill, i.e. a person you pay money because they can get in front of a camera and advertise products to impressionable people via a form of para-social relationship, more effectively than regular advertising. I.e. they "influence" people.

Put aside for a moment the potential issue there (the idea that an influencer, who has, by calling themselves that, "sold out", which to older generations is the height of uncool-ness but to younger generations is seen as savvy and successful, representing a cultural shift) - it's that I don't think many of them actually influence anyone, and the only thing they're skilled at is self-promotion.

Been thinking about this a lot since seeing this article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48873551

The idea that someone could call up an ice cream fan and ask for free ice cream "for exposure"... Then actually threaten the owner of the business when they refuse... It's staggering.

Comment

Yeah, people being complete a-holes goes hand in hand with the fact that you can now get endorsement deals because you've got 20k followers on Instagram, whereas you used to need to be a hit singer or a famous sportsperson or something.

I don't love the 'influencer economy' or anything, I just disagree with the idea that the concept of micro-celebrity (and its attendant endorsements) is going away any time soon. It's another example of how the internet has democratised things, for better and for worse.

Comment

I think the micro-celebrity will stay but the current wave of what are effectively Youtube Stars will pass fairly quickly, it's the way of the internet where the next thing arrives on schedule in rapid fashion. Be it having a successful forum, notable MySpace, the most friends on Facebook, followers on twitter, likes on instagram, subs on Youtube. The sites are long standing but the movements shift fast, the peak of myspace, facebook etc feels a lifetime ago but it was only a couple of years back - mostly within the same console generation we're in. Those who are successful will still continue with a core crowd but replacements come thick and fast and usually just as major industry companies weaponise the outgoing thing.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                I don't love the 'influencer economy' or anything, I just disagree with the idea that the concept of micro-celebrity (and its attendant endorsements) is going away any time soon.
                                I actually disagree; I think that while this will remain "a thing", I see it trending downwards - it has been ever since advertising watchdogs crashed the party of the peak of YouTube "influencers" a couple of years ago, who were essentially acting as unregulated advertisers and selling products to YouTube's audience, which at the time was a relatively young age group - hell, many of them were registered with "talent agencies" that were essentially advertising firms under a different name. They knowingly took money from big companies to sell products to impressionable kids; it was going on all over YouTube but of particular note were the makeup tutorials that were aimed at teen girls. It's no wonder the area grew so fast when it was doing something that would later be considered illegal.

The recent "increase in volume" that has come out of this is due to companies who want promotion being more shrewd with their money, leading to bigger and louder micro-celebs who are fighting over what's left. That's why you're seeing so many endorsements for services like SkillShare or VPNs, because those fair better in the "new normal" of YouTube stars actually having to tell people if they're endorsing something.

It'll reach some kind of equilibrium, of course. It isn't "going away", but I don't think YouTube influencers will reach the peak of around the time of the Fyre Festival fiasco in terms of their own revenue (outside of the very top tier, 5-10m+ subs). It'll only rise again when they find something else to do which they basically know, if they'd ever admit it to themselves, should-be-illegal-but-isn't-yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X