Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revival: Gaming Legends 2019

56K modem warning!

I went to the Walsall Football Stadium yesterday for Revival: Gaming Legends 2019.

It's a celebration of all things retro, including computers, consoles and arcades, with a smattering of talks, performances and market stalls.

I had a fantastic time and the time flew by.
    Personal highlights included Raiden Fighters on a candy cab, Salamander 2 and a selection of unusual consoles.

I'm just going to dump all the photos in for now and tidy up with notes when I'm at a PC.

Strap in, because there's a deluge of photos approaching!

Outside was the Mobile Arcade, which was a great idea!

Straight to the candy cabs and onto Raiden Fighters, which I caned until it was finished as there wasn't anyone waiting.

Linked Street Fighter cabs!

2-Player SF cab.

NEC Super Grafx.

Fujitsu FM Towns Marty.

Played one of the Metal Slugs on the Neo Geo CD and found it was a little sluggish, tbh. Lots of slow down.

Selection of NGCD games.

Selection of PS2 Games. A couple of lads were caning FIFA/ISS and getting really heated, but in a good way.

Some Dino King cab conversions. They were really cool and they were constantly in use.

Random ancient handheld.

Firetruck was this brilliant arcade racer where two players have to steer the front and back end of the titular truck, which is a lot trickier than it sounds.

Great Vectrex turnout! Some lovely examples. I actually really enjoyed the space shooter.
    I went to Holland as a 10 year old with my swimming club. The family I stayed with had one and I loved it.

Tiger Heli wooden cab. Still a great game, but pretty punishing start points. Funny playing it after several more recent shmups there that let you carry on where you left off.

This cab broke down, sadly, but was a really interesting machine.

Mattel Intellivision

Atari 2600. If this was supplied by Mainvien, this used to be mine! I recognise most of the games!

Atari 7800 and Nintendo Entertainment System

Amstrad GX4000

Original Xevious cab. Still plays well with the air and ground targeting system.

I've no idea what this was. It looked amazing but found it boring to play. It's some bullet hell shooter and quite often I didn't know what I'd hit or what had hit me. I thought the older Salamander 2 was a lot more fun to play.

Philips CD-I and NEC PC-FX.
    It was weird playing a Philips console, just so strange seeing a logo I recognise from other products splash up!

This was what was on the PC-FX. It's a shmup called Zeroigar. It looked lovely, like playing a cartoon with some gorgeous anime cutscenes, but I found it a little simplistic to play, sadly. I'd play it to see everything, but the gameplay is underwhelming.

There was a really nice collection of unusual consoles supplied by Asobi Tech that was lovely to see.

The Samsung DVD player with the Nuon built in was smart, but the resolution was so low it made my eyes go funny, so couldn't play it for long.

Nintendo 64DD

Panasonic Q (saw one for sale for £500+!)

Sharp SF-1 telly and SNES combo.

Divers 2000 CX-1 telly and Dreamcast combo.

Pioneer LaserActive running Pyramid Patrol

Sega Wondermega. I still think this looks amazing. The MD design has aged, but this look ace to my eyes.
    The games, no so much. I think it was Thunderhawk and it looked so dated.

Sega Mega Jet. Not played one before, but it was handling Thunderforce with ease. A bit clunky, but if you had no space under the TV, this would have been great.

Sega Mark III

Casio Loopy. I'd never played one before and it was playing some impenetrable Japanese game about sweets.
    The Loopy is the only console to be marketed purely at femal gamers!

I'm unsure of the left console, but the right isthe Casio PV-1000, neither of which were connected up .

Gamecube with the ever-popular Mario Kart.

Pandora's Box emulator. Seen a few on Facebook Marketplace tempting me!

Demo of Eight Dragons. Played it with a couple of randoms, but it kept crashing. The game was a bit simplistic too, so it was a relief when it finally booted us out. (Sorry Mr. Developer!)

Pinball hall. Always the hardest to get onto. I played (and did surprisingly well at) Cactus Jack's.
    I love playing these because I imagine they're a nightmare to maintain, so glad to see they're so well looked after.

A modern Batman table. Didn't get a look in on this, but looked great with a little screen showing clips from the campy show.

A couple of linked PlayStations running Ridge Racer Revolution.

NEC Turbo Grafx

PC Engine Cards available to play.

Amiga running Beats of Rage and it looked incredible! I had to look that it wasn't something else!

Commodore CDTV. This crazy hifi stack sounded so good. I'm not massive on computers, I'm a console guy, but this thing was hooked up to big speakers and it stopped me in my tracks to have a listen.

Pac-Mania. Just around the corner was a Pac-Land cab, a game I loved. I gave a lady playing it some tips and she got the secret hardhat from the hydrant! Interesting to the US cab with buttons, not a joystick (run left/right) and Pac-Man with the smaller nose to tie-in with the American cartoon.

Ancient TV!

Some of the guest speakers.

Asteroids was surprisingly fun! I'm not a fan of cocktail cabs, but this worked really well, flipping the screen as we took turns. It's an amazing game to play, when you consider it's age. The inertia of your ship is so tactile.

More home computers on display. To the right was Space Invaders being used in the high score competition.

More home computers. Loved seeing some of the newer games reproduced on the computers with lower specs.

Emulator hooked up to a projector. Near the cafe was a nice selection of cabs including Turtles, Moonwalker and Turtles. We ate on an Icade built into a Donkey Kong barrel table! It was funny hearing "COWABUNGA" every few seconds from the Turtles cab, as a reminded of what a coin guzzler that game was.

A stall selling nice condition, but expensive games.

Same stall selling games at crazy prices. £150 for an unboxed Megaman 7?! The guy said it was rare and genuine. *Shrug*.
    Conversely, another stall had a punter arguing with the seller that he was selling stuff too cheap! Ha ha ha!

Stall selling Bittboy and Odroid Go consoles, which looked fab!

Stall selling smaller console models. They're non-playable and at that price, it'd be worth waiting for the new Mini, or getting a gachapon sized one. Looked cool though!

Stall selling some modded consoles. I'd never seen JenesisSD running before, but it looked fantastic.

This was one of my favourite stands, selling quality over quantity with refurbed and region-free units.

I was totally tempted by these backlit Game Boys. They looked gorgeous.
    I might look at doing this on my old GB up the loft, but that Game Boy Pocket looked lovely and was a great size.

One of the many merch stalls. Look at the boxed PC Engine!

This guy had a 3D printer and was selling fridge magnets of logos and these ace IK+ characters.

Famicom on sale at one of the stalls.
    Last edited by QualityChimp; 17-06-2019, 09:14.

Amazing scenes! Time would have flown for me too.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      56K modem warning!

I went to the Walsall Football Stadium yesterday for Revival: Gaming Legends 2019.

It's a celebration of all things retro, including computers, consoles and arcades, with a smattering of talks, performances and market stalls.

I had a fantastic time and the time flew by.
      Personal highlights included Raiden Fighters on a candy cab, Salamander 2 and a selection of unusual consoles.

I'm just going to dump all the photos in for now and tidy up with notes when I'm at a PC.

Strap in, because there's a deluge of photos approaching!

was there today(the sunday), most of my time on pinball machines, time in burger time, the laserdisc of pyramid patrol and Turrican cd32 with those speakers. Didn't find anything i want to to buy, most interesting find was a PAL copy of Blood will Tell for he ps2, as i've been watching Dororo the manga the story is based off, sadly its £56 so a big nope.

Comment

Sorry our paths didn't cross to say "hi"!

That Turrican setup stopped me in my tracks as it sounded amazing!

Comment

Yeah CDTV setup was fantastic, especially when hooked up to Turrican 2. It made the game sing. It was a cool event with lots to see and do especially nice to see that Fire Truck arcade machine.

Comment

Brilliant, looked like a great day.

The Amiga monitor looks lush, lovely display.

Comment

Wow!
              Nice A3000, commodore monitor, noun. And an Elan Enterprise! Rare to see outside of Hungary

Comment

Nuon, not noun!!!

Comment

Right, I've finished making notes and tidying the order up.

Highlights were the candy cabs (there's one I didn't get to play, sadly), Salamander 2, the unusual consoles and the modded Game Boys, but all of it was ace and had a really friendly vibe.

I really wanted one of those backlit Game Boys and DS units playing MD games, so I compromised and put JenesisDS on my own DS and it looks lovely. I just need to dig out a couple of my GB carts from the loft.

I found myself drawn to the PSP several times and those lovely little discs that it uses. So tactile and a lovely size, but I'm not going down that route!

Sorry for all the photos, but I love seeing stuff like this and thought someone else might do too.
                  I'm always up for seeing lots of pics if anyone else goes to something like this!

Comment

Those pics are a feast for the eyes. So much retro goodness to savour.

Thanks, QC
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-06-2019, 16:40.

Comment

i went on saturday was my 4th year of going (i live in walsall) always amazed by the sheer variety of the cabs and the machines on display

Comment

That looks like a great event. I think the vertical shooter in the black and red cab is Aka to Blue on one of the new Exa Arcadia systems.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                          That looks like a great event. I think the vertical shooter in the black and red cab is Aka to Blue on one of the new Exa Arcadia systems.
                          That would have been great but it was Dodonpachi Saidaioujou...running on a Xbox 360 no less.

Comment

Damn. Shows how long it is since I’ve played SDOJ!

Comment

Working...
                            X