Retro|Spective 095: Mario Kart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marius View Post
    Don't like SMK at all, but I've enjoyed all the others.
    Noooooo... you’ve got it the wrong way around, Marius!

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      A beautiful view
      SNK Heroines. ...

I will also guess it's Viewtiful Joe.

Comment

Winners!

Comment

I really like the original SMK. Something about the flat tracks (So you could see almost all of your opponents and had a view into the distance) and the fact it was the first made it great,

Weirdly I quite enjoyed Double Dash on the Gamecube (Although I still haven't played it that much). I never got into MK64 and the arcade games merely seem ok. I played MK8 round a friend's house. I enjoyed it at the time but didn't enjoy it enough to want my own copy

Part of the problem with MK is the single player mode was good at the time and I finished all the leagues but I didn't want to do the same thing on the other titles. It wasnt fun enough to keep doing the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
            I really like the original SMK. Something about the flat tracks (So you could see almost all of your opponents and had a view into the distance) and the fact it was the first made it great,
            I really wish Nintendo had made a SNES sequel using the Super FX chip. They could have added some cool effects and polygons to the environments, like they did with Yoshi's Island. So you would have had a more advanced version of SMK. I think it would have sold really well.

I still love how SMK looks and plays. It's a world away from the visual feast of later games, but there's also something nice about minimalism. The tight tracks really deliver a 'karting' feel that makes it feel quite intense at times.

Weirdly I quite enjoyed Double Dash on the Gamecube (Although I still haven't played it that much).
            I've always enjoyed Double Dash. I think it looks good and plays well. Not one of the best MK games, but decent enough.

Part of the problem with MK is the single player mode was good at the time and I finished all the leagues but I didn't want to do the same thing on the other titles. It wasnt fun enough to keep doing the same thing
            It's strange, because I have always enjoy SMK in single player, but the sequels weren't so much fun in that respect. I have mostly played the sequels in multiplayer or online.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-06-2019, 23:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              I really wish Nintendo had made a SNES sequel using the Super FX chip. They could have added some cool effects and polygons to the environments, like they did with Yoshi's Island. So you would have had a more advanced version of SMK. I think it would have sold really well.
              Actually that's a good idea. With the Super FX they could add a lot more trackside objects extra gameplay elements. I remember reading that Nintendo had an internal design policy to "make the sequel". The idea was instead of making and releasing the good but slightly flawed first game they would instead make the second game in the series with all the features they would have put in a sequel. So after maybe 10-12 months development they would throw everything out and start again with the knowledge they had then. If this is true it could explain why games like Mario, Zelda, MarioKart, F-Zero, Pilotwings etc never got (proper) sequels on the SNES.

Comment

Actually that's a good idea. With the Super FX they could add a lot more trackside objects extra gameplay elements.
                Yeah, they could have put some interesting 3D objects and effects in the environments to make things more interesting. I really like how the SFX chip enhanced the 2D Yoshi's Island.

If this is true it could explain why games like Mario, Zelda, MarioKart, F-Zero, Pilotwings etc never got (proper) sequels on the SNES.
                Yeah, maybe Nintendo put so much time and effort into trying to make those games near perfect, that they felt sequels maybe wouldn't be needed.

It's a shame though, because a sequel to F-Zero with a 2-player mode would have been nice. A bigger & better version of SMK would have also been welcomed. A proper Mario World 2 using a 16mb(or maybe more) rom could have been brilliant. I like Yoshi's Island but prefer how Mario World plays.

I've often thought it's strange how so many early and popular SNES games didn't get sequels: Contra 3, Castlevania IV, Axelay, Super Aleste etc... Nintendo and Konami created some truly great SNES games, but both failed to make sequels to some of their early titles. I also wish Compile had made a sequel to Super Aleste, or something similar.

The SNES was still a viable platform in the west during 1994 and through to 1995 -- and stayed relevant in Japan for even longer.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 22-06-2019, 14:08.

Comment

SMK. Specifically time trials.

My student digs were an open house to a couple of mates and coming home and seeing a post it on my fridge meant I knew what I had to do that night. The post it would be informing me that one of the time trial records had been beaten so I’d spend the night trying to shave another tenth of a second off. I could play a few of the tracks without looking. My SNES was just a mario kart box basically. That game never left the console.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    My SNES was just a mario kart box basically. That game never left the console.
                    It dominated my SNES gaming with friends and family between 93-95. I'd spend hours and hours racing against people -- and also competing against them in the battle arena. Me and my brother spent a crazy amount of time in that mode.

I also remember trying to match the times printed in Super Play, but some people were just too good. I played the game soooo much that I knew the tracks(and methods) like the back of my hand. Used to annoy some of my friends with how adept I was.

After the 16-bit days, I went back to the game quite regularly. It's always been a 16-bit game that I enjoy coming back to. I sometimes wonder what a modern remaster would be like. I think it could be really good -- especially if Nintendo added more content. Maybe an indie dev will create a karting game inspired by SMK. I'd be interested in a modern karting game that sticks closely to the SMK formula/style.

I think MK8 is brilliant, but I still have a soft spot for SMK. I know some people feel it's quite a clunky game these days, but I still enjoy it.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 23-06-2019, 19:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                      I've often thought it's strange how so many early and popular SNES games didn't get sequels: Contra 3, Castlevania IV, Axelay, Super Aleste etc... Nintendo and Konami created some truly great SNES games, but both failed to make sequels to some of their early titles. I also wish Compile had made a sequel to Super Aleste, or something similar.

The SNES was still a viable platform in the west during 1994 and through to 1995 -- and stayed relevant in Japan for even longer.
                      That's a good point. There must be a reason for this. Maybe teams got broken up and assigned to new games. Or Perhaps developers were literally working at full stretch because they had the Megadrive/Nes/MS/PCE/GB platforms to release games for too? Or maybe a sequel means the original game would stop selling so well? Some of those SNES games must have just kept selling loads all through the lifespan of the console.

Comment

Some of those SNES games must have just kept selling loads all through the lifespan of the console.
                        I think that's the reason Nintendo didn't create sequels to some of their best selling games. We all know how conservative Nintendo can be.

With Konami, I think some of the people who helped create Axelay and Contra 3 left the company to form Treasure. So I guess the company didn't feel so confident about creating sequels after that happened.

It's a shame, because I would have really liked a 2-player F-Zero, a more advanced SMK, and sequels to Axelay and Contra 3. It's also sad that there wasn't a Castlevania V for the SNES.

Comment

Working...
                        X