No announcement yet.

Retro Arena: Arcade Ninja Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know about Strider Hiryu being a ninja, tbh.

Surely he can only be considered to be one if Capcom and/or Moto Kikaku officially confirm that he is one?

Comment

I like ninjas.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
        I like ninjas.
        You are the Super Shinobi, after all.

Comment

They definitely say he's a ninja.

Strider is set in a dystopian future in the year 2048, where a mysterious dictator known as the "Grandmaster" rules over the world. Hiryu, the youngest ever Super A Ranked member of an organization of high-tech ninja agents known as the "Striders", is alone tasked with the Grandmaster's assassination.

Kouichi Yotsui said it was he who "pushed for a ninja concept" as they were leaning towards an action game, a ninja setting would've been convenient. "The hero would be derived from a ninja. We loosely decided on that." Regarding Hiryu's three robot helpers, he said that he was inspired by the 1960s ninja comics (the one that most influenced him was Shirato Sanpei's Kamui Gaiden), in which the ninja often had various animals to support them or attack their enemies. Speaking with Retro Gamer, Yotsui said that Strider Hiryu's climbing abilities were inspired by his personal experience when he got himself stranded on the roof of Capcom’s building; fearing freezing to death and with no way to call for help, he climbed down the side of the building to reach a nearby fire escape stairway.

Strider Hiryu has been often featured in the various lists and rankings of top ten video game ninja characters. As such, he was ranked as the seventh top ninja in games by 1UP.com in 2004, even as he "loses a few points for not even trying to be stealthy," and placed fourth on a similar list by ScrewAttack in 2010. Complex declared Strider Hiryu the swiftest ninja in games in their 2012 list, calling him "pretty much the perfect ninja." In 2013, WatchMojo.com ranked Strider as the tenth top playable game ninja, calling him an "arcade legend", and Jon Ledford of Sushi Arcade too included among the ten best video game "ninjas". In 2010, Retro Gamer rated him as number one "Athlete King" of video games, beating the likes of the Prince, Lara Croft, or Sonic the Hedgehog. In addition, he was also ranked as the third most acrobatic character in video games by Complex in 2011, and as the ninth top swordsman in gaming by Cheat Code Central's Shelby Reiche in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            They definitely say he's a ninja.

Strider is set in a dystopian future in the year 2048, where a mysterious dictator known as the "Grandmaster" rules over the world. Hiryu, the youngest ever Super A Ranked member of an organization of high-tech ninja agents known as the "Striders", is alone tasked with the Grandmaster's assassination.

Kouichi Yotsui said it was he who "pushed for a ninja concept" as they were leaning towards an action game, a ninja setting would've been convenient. "The hero would be derived from a ninja. We loosely decided on that." Regarding Hiryu's three robot helpers, he said that he was inspired by the 1960s ninja comics (the one that most influenced him was Shirato Sanpei's Kamui Gaiden), in which the ninja often had various animals to support them or attack their enemies. Speaking with Retro Gamer, Yotsui said that Strider Hiryu's climbing abilities were inspired by his personal experience when he got himself stranded on the roof of Capcom’s building; fearing freezing to death and with no way to call for help, he climbed down the side of the building to reach a nearby fire escape stairway.

Strider Hiryu has been often featured in the various lists and rankings of top ten video game ninja characters. As such, he was ranked as the seventh top ninja in games by 1UP.com in 2004, even as he "loses a few points for not even trying to be stealthy," and placed fourth on a similar list by ScrewAttack in 2010. Complex declared Strider Hiryu the swiftest ninja in games in their 2012 list, calling him "pretty much the perfect ninja." In 2013, WatchMojo.com ranked Strider as the tenth top playable game ninja, calling him an "arcade legend", and Jon Ledford of Sushi Arcade too included among the ten best video game "ninjas". In 2010, Retro Gamer rated him as number one "Athlete King" of video games, beating the likes of the Prince, Lara Croft, or Sonic the Hedgehog. In addition, he was also ranked as the third most acrobatic character in video games by Complex in 2011, and as the ninth top swordsman in gaming by Cheat Code Central's Shelby Reiche in 2012.
            It says that Capcom say that Hiryu and the other Striders are inspired by Ninja, not that they actually are Ninja.

But we're splitting hairs and semantics at this point so I digress.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
              I like ninjas.
              I like ninjas.
              I like robots.

Why do you think The Ninja Warriors makes my list!

Comment

"an organization of high-tech ninja agents"

I don't think he's a ninja either, but that's what Capcom are saying.

Comment

"an organization of high-tech ninja agents"

I don't think he's a ninja either, but that's what Capcom are saying.
                  Is that a direct quote from Capcom or is that just descriptive wordage from the Wiki author? Not trying to be deliberately contrary - just genuinely asking. I've honestly never seen anything from Capcom that officially describes Strider as a Ninja.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    Is that a direct quote from Capcom or is that just descriptive wordage from the Wiki author? Not trying to be deliberately contrary - just genuinely asking. I've honestly never seen anything from Capcom that officially describes Strider as a Ninja.
                    Yeah, I'm struggling to find anything that directly says he's a ninja, just that he's one of the Striders, "whose origins are closely related to the ninjas'" - Strider 2 Manual

I've looked at arcade flyers, MD, MS, PS and NES manuals.

I can't read Japanese, so maybe one of those state it?

It depends on if you want to say "closely related" is enough to say they're a ninja or not.

So, at university, I was mates with ninja Pete. He'd studied ninjitsu, had a bokken in his room and could probably snap your neck with just his buttocks.

However, the final grading is black belt level 5, called a Godan test. You have to travel to Japan to get the proper grading, where the ninjitsu master stands behind the kneeling student, waiting to strike at any time and the student has to dodge a blow he doesn't know is coming.

He never went to Japan, so is he a ninja, despite training in ninjitsu?

Comment

What about Caveman Ninja?

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                        What about Caveman Ninja?
                        The actual Japanese title is Joe & Mac: Tatakae Genshijin - translating literally as "Fighting Cavemen".

Nothing to do with Ninjas whatsoever, so it shouldn't count (although the official coin-op flyer does refer to Cavemen Ninja).

An arcade classic though.
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 19-06-2019, 12:02.

Comment

Three pages and no mention of Daddy Mulk?!? *spin cat face cork tea coasters shinobi bonus round style at low quality chump*

Comment

It is a lovely jazzy number, fo sho.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                              Three pages and no mention of Daddy Mulk?!? *spin cat face cork tea coasters shinobi bonus round style at low quality chump*
                              Or Ninja Spirit!

Comment

Yeah, I'm struggling to find anything that directly says he's a ninja, just that he's one of the Striders, "whose origins are closely related to the ninjas'" - Strider 2 Manual
                                Strider looks like a ninja, so that's important. Of course, he could just be an athletic fighter, but there are little snippets of info that suggest he was designed as a futuristic 'ninja' rather than a conventional action guy.

I could have included 'Caveman Ninja' It's all just a bit of fun.

So, at university, I was mates with ninja Pete. He'd studied ninjitsu, had a bokken in his room and could probably snap your neck with just his buttocks.
                                My brother did ninjutsu in his teens -- he had the bokken and bo staff. His sensei was a bit of nutter(Cobra Kai sort of guy) so it all felt quite negative after a while.
                                Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-06-2019, 21:14.

Comment

Working...
                                X