User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    And they weren't even the arcade versions! Master System and Megadrive respectively!

I'll leave now.

Quote Originally Posted by wakka View Post
    And they weren't even the arcade versions! Master System and Megadrive respectively!

I'll leave now.

Quote Originally Posted by QualityChimp View Post
    Not saying Strider isn't a ninja, just explaining why I didn't choose him for your strict "pick 3" request.
    Yeah, I get why you wouldn't necessarily think of it as a 'ninja' game. I wasn't sure if people referred to the character as a "ninja" but some did so I went with it.

All of that is ONE level!
    It delivered an amazing spectacle that really inspired gamers. I loved how the best arcade games managed that. Strider was not only cutting edge, but also creatively brilliant.

Shinobi is by far my favourite of these games. A classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    Shinobi is by far my favourite of these games. A classic.
    And spawned some great sequels for the Mega Drive.

Any more fans of ninjas?

Don't know about Strider Hiryu being a ninja, tbh.

Surely he can only be considered to be one if Capcom and/or Moto Kikaku officially confirm that he is one?

プレイステーション
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: I3th Racing PSN ID: Mr_Karate
    I like ninjas.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by J0e Musashi View Post
    I like ninjas.
    You are the Super Shinobi, after all.

They definitely say he's a ninja.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strider_Hiryu

Strider is set in a dystopian future in the year 2048, where a mysterious dictator known as the "Grandmaster" rules over the world. Hiryu, the youngest ever Super A Ranked member of an organization of high-tech ninja agents known as the "Striders", is alone tasked with the Grandmaster's assassination.

Kouichi Yotsui said it was he who "pushed for a ninja concept" as they were leaning towards an action game, a ninja setting would've been convenient. "The hero would be derived from a ninja. We loosely decided on that." Regarding Hiryu's three robot helpers, he said that he was inspired by the 1960s ninja comics (the one that most influenced him was Shirato Sanpei's Kamui Gaiden), in which the ninja often had various animals to support them or attack their enemies. Speaking with Retro Gamer, Yotsui said that Strider Hiryu's climbing abilities were inspired by his personal experience when he got himself stranded on the roof of Capcom’s building; fearing freezing to death and with no way to call for help, he climbed down the side of the building to reach a nearby fire escape stairway.

Strider Hiryu has been often featured in the various lists and rankings of top ten video game ninja characters. As such, he was ranked as the seventh top ninja in games by 1UP.com in 2004, even as he "loses a few points for not even trying to be stealthy," and placed fourth on a similar list by ScrewAttack in 2010. Complex declared Strider Hiryu the swiftest ninja in games in their 2012 list, calling him "pretty much the perfect ninja." In 2013, WatchMojo.com ranked Strider as the tenth top playable game ninja, calling him an "arcade legend", and Jon Ledford of Sushi Arcade too included among the ten best video game "ninjas". In 2010, Retro Gamer rated him as number one "Athlete King" of video games, beating the likes of the Prince, Lara Croft, or Sonic the Hedgehog. In addition, he was also ranked as the third most acrobatic character in video games by Complex in 2011, and as the ninth top swordsman in gaming by Cheat Code Central's Shelby Reiche in 2012.

They definitely say he's a ninja.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strider_Hiryu

Strider is set in a dystopian future in the year 2048, where a mysterious dictator known as the "Grandmaster" rules over the world. Hiryu, the youngest ever Super A Ranked member of an organization of high-tech ninja agents known as the "Striders", is alone tasked with the Grandmaster's assassination.

Kouichi Yotsui said it was he who "pushed for a ninja concept" as they were leaning towards an action game, a ninja setting would've been convenient. "The hero would be derived from a ninja. We loosely decided on that." Regarding Hiryu's three robot helpers, he said that he was inspired by the 1960s ninja comics (the one that most influenced him was Shirato Sanpei's Kamui Gaiden), in which the ninja often had various animals to support them or attack their enemies. Speaking with Retro Gamer, Yotsui said that Strider Hiryu's climbing abilities were inspired by his personal experience when he got himself stranded on the roof of Capcom’s building; fearing freezing to death and with no way to call for help, he climbed down the side of the building to reach a nearby fire escape stairway.

Strider Hiryu has been often featured in the various lists and rankings of top ten video game ninja characters. As such, he was ranked as the seventh top ninja in games by 1UP.com in 2004, even as he "loses a few points for not even trying to be stealthy," and placed fourth on a similar list by ScrewAttack in 2010. Complex declared Strider Hiryu the swiftest ninja in games in their 2012 list, calling him "pretty much the perfect ninja." In 2013, WatchMojo.com ranked Strider as the tenth top playable game ninja, calling him an "arcade legend", and Jon Ledford of Sushi Arcade too included among the ten best video game "ninjas". In 2010, Retro Gamer rated him as number one "Athlete King" of video games, beating the likes of the Prince, Lara Croft, or Sonic the Hedgehog. In addition, he was also ranked as the third most acrobatic character in video games by Complex in 2011, and as the ninth top swordsman in gaming by Cheat Code Central's Shelby Reiche in 2012.
    It says that Capcom say that Hiryu and the other Striders are inspired by Ninja, not that they actually are Ninja.

But we're splitting hairs and semantics at this point so I digress.