Retro Arena: Arcade Ninja Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    Strider looks like a ninja, so that's important. Of course, he could just be an athletic fighter, but there are little snippets of info that suggest he was designed as a futuristic 'ninja' rather than a conventional action guy.
    I don't think anybody has argued against the fact that the design of Strider Hiryu was quite clearly inspired by Ninja - the original coin-op dev team have been quoted as saying that much (as [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] showed in the link to the Wiki). The argument, unless I've been reading it wrong the whole time, is whether or not Strider Hiryu is actually a Ninja.
    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 20-06-2019, 10:07.

Comment

Strider Hiryu is a... Strider. Otherwise he'd be called Ninja Hiryu.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
        is whether or not Strider Hiryu is actually a Ninja.
        Well, we'd have to see his 'Ninja' licence.

But seriously, there are sources(QC also looked into it) that suggest Strider is a ninja.

Originally posted by Wikipedia
        In most versions of the Strider story, "Hiryu" is an elite-class member of a group of futuristic, high-tech ninja-derived agents known as the Striders

Kouichi Yotsui said it was he who "pushed for a ninja concept" as they were leaning towards an action game, a ninja setting would've been convenient. "The hero would be derived from a ninja. We loosely decided on that.
        Based on the evidence I've seen, I consider Strider Hiryu to be a ninja.

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
        Strider Hiryu is a... Strider. Otherwise he'd be called Ninja Hiryu.
        I think Wikipedia is probably correct. The 'Striders' are high-tech ninjas.

Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-06-2019, 20:28.

Comment

Dragon Warrior and Ninja Warriors are the only ones I’ve actually played in the arcade… many, many moons ago in Sunny Hunny.

I had Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja on the NES, but to be honest I really can’t recall the game itself. Ninja Spirit on the PC Engine is absolute quality, I’d really like to go back to it. Ninja Commando is good fun too, really enjoyed it on Neo CD.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post

I had Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja on the NES, but to be honest I really can’t recall the game itself.

It's quite a clunky version of the game. Double Dragon 2 and the Ninja Gaiden games are better.

Ninja Spirit on the PC Engine is absolute quality, I’d really like to go back to it. Ninja Commando is good fun too, really enjoyed it on Neo CD.
            Yeah, the PCE port of Ninja Spirit is really good. Ninja Commando is one of my favourite Neo Geo games.

Comment

Strider 2 for the PlayStation is another fantastic ninja Strider game. I wasn’t sure what to expect but I thought it looked awesome and played really well; a true worthy sequel.

Comment

I haven't played all of them but I will choose

1. Strider
                2. Dragon Ninja Vs Bad Dudes!
                3. Shadow Warriors

Strider is slightly ahead of all of them (+ most games), on style and execution but Dragon Ninja is really solid and plays very well. Anyone else get annoyed by the overloud voice samples in Dragon Ninja though? I like the samples but just too loud compared to the music.

Shadow Warriors has a slower/less responsive feel to it than the other two but is still great fun especially the way you can swing from the scenery to attack bad guys

Comment

Strider 2 for the PlayStation is another fantastic ninja Strider game. I wasn’t sure what to expect but I thought it looked awesome and played really well; a true worthy sequel.
                  He's a futuristic cyber ninja. I really like his design and the overall design of the game. Makes we want to buy a poster and frame it.

Strider 2 for the PlayStation was certainly a very good sequel. I haven't played it for quite a while, so I'll try to install it on the PlayStation Classic I recently bought.

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post

Strider is slightly ahead of all of them (+ most games), on style and execution but Dragon Ninja is really solid and plays very well. Anyone else get annoyed by the overloud voice samples in Dragon Ninja though? I like the samples but just too loud compared to the music.
                  As much as I thought Dragon Ninja was quite a fun game back in the day, Strider is far ahead when it comes to inspiring design, and I always enjoy going back to it. Haven't played Dragon Ninja in ages.

Yeah, the sfx are a bit too loud, but that aspect did impress me back in the day.

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
                  Shadow Warriors has a slower/less responsive feel to it than the other two but is still great fun especially the way you can swing from the scenery to attack bad guys
                  The sluggish feel has always put me off the game. I think the graphics are attractive, with a nice amount of detail, but I don't enjoy playing it.

Comment

Strider 2 for the PlayStation is another fantastic ninja Strider game.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      I'll create a Retro Arena focused on the Strider series. Then again -- I'd have to mention the US Gold sequel so maybe not.

Comment

Working...
                      X