Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Hopefully, their early production issues are now over
    FirebrandX seems quite confident about the MegaSD. His post about it on the shmups forum has some details.

After reading that I’m going to take the plunge. Ordered.
    Last edited by CMcK; 19-06-2019, 10:54. Reason: Updated to say it’s ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
      FirebrandX seems quite confident about the MegaSD. His post about it on the shmups forum has some details.

After reading that I’m going to take the plunge.

up on your audio receiver to catch wind of it during muted boot sequences.

The only other minor difference is I was caught in a dilemma where the PCM is LPF'd on real hardware while CDDA was high-range boosted. You can't really do this at the same time in the analogue output stage, so I left them both unfiltered as far as going into the consoles (the consoles themselves may apply filtering anyway if unmodded). So any comparisons you see of audio between original hardware and the Mega SG, please remember that the Mega SG sounds just like the CDDA tracks when ripped directly from the disc. The difference compared to real hardware is minor though, so only the extreme anal-retentive types are going to have any gripes. The outside people brought in to independently test were actually quite happy with it.
      Its just sounds a great product and Master FM support is just the icing to a lovely cake. That's a great forum btw.

Comment

Pulled the trigger!

Watched the reviews on youtube and the support from FirebrandX helped.

Like others just hope the tech stands up from the first batch. Looking forward to it. What Mega/Sega-CD are people looking forward to playing?

Comment

I'm kind of in two minds over this. On one hand flash carts rather negate the need to own physical copies and they encourage piracy, but on the other it works with the Mega SG. I've been using a CDX for years, which is a nice little system but my entire collection of MD carts are Japanese, which means using a cartridge adaptor. I also have have a decent sized collection of Japanese MCD games, and to play those I need a different adaptor. It's a pain to be honest. Real hardware has its downsides too, such as the annoying flashing junk you get in the border of MD games and analogue video noise (even over RGB),

So I've been mulling over getting a Mega SG. If I added a Mega SD to it then I could keep playing my MCD games, albeit with ISOs. But that would mean my MCDs never get used again after I've ripped them. It's a strange, illogical, emotional argument, but there's just something appealing about physical media - hunting them down, displaying them, using them on actual hardware.

Maybe it's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by dyer60 View Post
            Looking forward to it. What Mega/Sega-CD are people looking forward to playing?

If it all works as planned. I'm really looking forward to playing through the Lunar's, Rise of the Dragon again and also play yet more of Batman Returns 3D sections.

Comment

This is the one cool side of technology, doing things we could have only dreamed of back in the day when these were still curent gen consoles. Never dived into the mega cd library that much apart from sonic. Always wanted to play that weird one called switch or something like that where you just trigger animations one after another i haven't seen much else.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                This is the one cool side of technology, doing things we could have only dreamed of back in the day when these were still curent gen consoles. Never dived into the mega cd library that much apart from sonic. Always wanted to play that weird one called switch or something like that where you just trigger animations one after another i haven't seen much else.
                Switch is also on the PS2 but I'm not sure if they cut anything from it.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                  I still have my original copy of Switch from back in the day. It's not really a game, more of a sort of weird comedy experience.

In all honesty there aren't many good MCD games. My picks would be Keio Yuugekitai, Denin Aleste, Bari Arm, Road Blaster FX (perhaps the only decent FMV game), Time Gal (another FMV title which looks pretty nice), Soul Star (3D shooter and the most impressive MCD game technically), Batman Returns (just skip the 2D sections), Urusei Yatsura (excellent visual novel, if you have some basic Japanese knowledge), Snatcher, Lords of Thunder, The Terminator, and Popful Mail.

There are the two Lunar games as well, but they're honestly much better on the PSX and Saturn (the latter of which is only in Japanese)

Comment

Imagine if devices like this were released back when the megacd was still current it would have blown peoples minds. Yeah there were copiers but this one is a little different. I enjoy seeing new tech released for retro stuff, hell i got giddy when i saw that the pokemon mini had screen protectors made for it on amazon lol

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
                      I still have my original copy of Switch from back in the day. It's not really a game, more of a sort of weird comedy experience.

In all honesty there aren't many good MCD games. My picks would be Keio Yuugekitai, Denin Aleste, Bari Arm, Road Blaster FX (perhaps the only decent FMV game), Time Gal (another FMV title which looks pretty nice), Soul Star (3D shooter and the most impressive MCD game technically), Batman Returns (just skip the 2D sections), Urusei Yatsura (excellent visual novel, if you have some basic Japanese knowledge), Snatcher, Lords of Thunder, The Terminator, and Popful Mail.

There are the two Lunar games as well, but they're honestly much better on the PSX and Saturn (the latter of which is only in Japanese)
                      Lunar!!!

Comment

I love Record of Lodoss War for the Mega CD. It’s a turn-based SRPG a la Shining Force CD (which, incidentally, is excellent too) as opposed to the RPG version on the PC Engine.

It follows the anime series exactly, even ripping the cut scenes direct from the OVA, so if you’ve seen the series then you’ll know the storyline without having to understand Japanese. Furthermore, although the menus are in Japanese, they’re easy to learn and almost all the weapons, armour, items etc are written in katakana. So even with very basic Japanese and having seen the anime, it’s easy to understand pretty much the whole game.

Comment

*Cough* Final Fight CD.

Comment

Oh, that sounds quite interesting… I really liked the Lodoss War OAVs and the TV series.

Comment

There are plenty of great games on the Mega CD and the Lunar Remakes are honestly not better IMO. The re-drawn artwork on the characters, lacks all the charm of the originals, the music isn't as good either.For Lunar I, there are less battle animations (like how the characters squint and kneel for a powerful spell) I enjoyed them, but they aren't as good as the originals

If I was to do a list my picks would be

Rise Of The Dragon - Better than Snatcher

Dracula Unleashed - One of the best Point and click games ever made

Jurassic Park - Ace point and click game

Eye of the Beholder - Ace version of the classic game along with Yuzo Koshiro pumping soundtracks

Bari- Arm & Robo Aleste - Ace shooters

Lunar 1 and II - RPG Perfection

Third World War - One of the best strategy war games going

Batman Returns - The best 16-bit racer going

Battle Corps - Nice little mech game

Final Fight - Awesome port

Ecco - Worth it alone for the music

Sensible Soccer - The real crowd chats make a world of difference

NHL 94 - The best version of one of the best hockey games ever

Road Adv - The best FMV game ever

Dune - Overlooked classic

Popful Mail - Stunning adv RPG

Heart of the Alien - Great follow up and also the new music for the original game is incredible and really adds to the game

Jaguar XJ220 - Nice racer with a fab music score

SoulStar - Pushes the system to its limits

Wing Commander - The best console port of this game (I liked it more than the 3DO version)

Keio Flying Squadron - Japanese madness and a great shooter to boot

Switch - Monty python style madness

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - Ace platform game and the new music and sound effects really add to the game

Sonic CD - The best 2D Sonic game

Wonder Dog - Really nice Platform game

Revengers of Vengeance - Really deep game

Enternal Champions - For its time, this was a ridiculous deep fighter with tons of moves and loads of characters

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                                There are plenty of great games on the Mega CD and the Lunar Remakes are honestly not better IMO. The re-drawn artwork on the characters, lacks all the charm of the originals, the music isn't as good either.For Lunar I, there are less battle animations (like how the characters squint and kneel for a powerful spell) I enjoyed them, but they aren't as good as the originals

If I was to do a list my picks would be

Rise Of The Dragon - Better than Snatcher

Dracula Unleashed - One of the best Point and click games ever made

Jurassic Park - Ace point and click game

Eye of the Beholder - Ace version of the classic game along with Yuzo Koshiro pumping soundtracks

Bari- Arm & Robo Aleste - Ace shooters

Lunar 1 and II - RPG Perfection

Third World War - One of the best strategy war games going

Batman Returns - The best 16-bit racer going

Battle Corps - Nice little mech game

Final Fight - Awesome port

Ecco - Worth it alone for the music

Sensible Soccer - The real crowd chats make a world of difference

NHL 94 - The best version of one of the best hockey games ever

Road Adv - The best FMV game ever

Dune - Overlooked classic

Popful Mail - Stunning adv RPG

Heart of the Alien - Great follow up and also the new music for the original game is incredible and really adds to the game

Jaguar XJ220 - Nice racer with a fab music score

SoulStar - Pushes the system to its limits

Wing Commander - The best console port of this game (I liked it more than the 3DO version)

Keio Flying Squadron - Japanese madness and a great shooter to boot

Switch - Monty python style madness

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - Ace platform game and the new music and sound effects really add to the game

Sonic CD - The best 2D Sonic game

Wonder Dog - Really nice Platform game

Revengers of Vengeance - Really deep game

Enternal Champions - For its time, this was a ridiculous deep fighter with tons of moves and loads of characters
                                Ah much as I live the Mega CD I'd say there are some very questionable entities on that list.

We also must add Urusei Yatsura BUT ONLY if you can understand Japanese. I'd also add Night Striker too.

Comment

Working...
                                X