No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective X01: Nintendo 3DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I googled and can’t find a thing from Nintendo that promised, said, implied, hinted or otherwise that GBA games would come to the 3DS. I found a single article speculating it would happen amongst a shedload stating it wouldn’t. All Nintendo seems to have stated is that GB and GBC games would, so they were pretty clear. I think that we can agree that Nintendo not specifically saying they absolutely wouldn’t is a billion miles from “they promised”.

Anyway, Theatrhythm! It’s a superb game. I played through the first one to death, then got the sequel and did the same thing. Not sure how many hours I racked up but it’s a lot. Some years back, I went to a concert of Star Wars music that was set to clips from the films and I came out feeling that this is now the best way to enjoy Star Wars. Theatrhythm for me is like that with Final Fantasy. I have so much nostalgia for Final Fantasy and a lot of it is down to the music and playing this game is probably more enjoyable to me than the commitment of actually playing through a Final Fantasy game.

The look is charming, the tracks are superb and the gameplay is very simple but gets challenging. It’s a little like Ouendan but, in terms of patterns, is even simpler. But what keeps it going is that there are field sections (overworld) and battle sections and they’re a little different. And you build up your characters and collect cards and so there’s always a real sense of progression. There’s also a kind of mission mode and I can’t quite remember what that’s called but that’s pretty enjoyable too, although I found it got very hard very quickly and I started to struggle.

Overall, it’s basically a simple rhythm game set to Final Fantasy music with loads of fanservice in the look, locations and characters and plenty of reasons to play as you build up your characters and unlock stuff. A real gem of a game and one of my favourite 3DS experiences. It’s about the only game that really makes up for the lack of a 3DS Ouendan.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      Yeah, I googled and can’t find a thing from Nintendo that promised, said, implied, hinted or otherwise that GBA games would come to the 3DS. I found a single article speculating it would happen amongst a shedload stating it wouldn’t. All Nintendo seems to have stated is that GB and GBC games would, so they were pretty clear. I think that we can agree that Nintendo not specifically saying they absolutely wouldn’t is a billion miles from “they promised”.
      A shedload stating that they wouldn’t? Is that article opinion or all official confirmation from Nintendo? You’ve not posted any of them so I’m guessing that none of them are Nintendo officially ruling it out full stop.

Regardless, at the end of the day GBA games appeared on the 3DS thanks to the Ambassador Programme so realistically that makes it far more likely that it was going to happen as opposed to not going to happen.

Comment

Opinion. It was all speculation. I made clear exactly what Nintendo themselves stated: that GB games and GBC games would come. You said they promised. I think the burden of proof lies with you here, dude. And I’m still willing to find out I’m wrong but nothing I’ve found suggests that Nintendo promised you anything of the sort.

Comment

Today's showcase game:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Nintendo's dedicated entry for the series surprised in two ways, delivering a direct sequel to the SNES classic and avoiding bringing a new 3D entry to the system when it was clearly capable.

Share your thoughts and memories of A Link Between Worlds

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            Today's showcase game:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Nintendo's dedicated entry for the series surprised in two ways, delivering a direct sequel to the SNES classic and avoiding bringing a new 3D entry to the system when it was clearly capable.

Share your thoughts and memories of A Link Between Worlds
            The game that was originally going to be a remastered version of A Link To The Past until Aonuma-san and Miyamoto-san quickly vetoed that idea in favour of a bonafide sequel to arguably the best 2D Zelda of them all.

To tell the truth, I STILL haven't played this! My copy sits on the shelf as part of my backlog!!

Comment

I’m actually on a replay of this right now. After struggling to decide which one of my unfinished games to go back to, I ended up starting this again. I really like it. It’s a very strong game and it is charming. But I have to admit on a second play that I find its Link To The Past roots work against it in that the world is too familiar and it’s too easy to explore it early on. So some of the discovery and mystery of a new Zelda game is missing here. It doesn’t offer many new tricks beyond the central wall-merging mechanic except for perhaps the verticality of some of the dungeons and the ability to get every item very early on, which I’m not convinced is a strength. The initial buzz of being able to play with everything and access anywhere is replaced by a feeling that all your presents were opened up weeks before Christmas, if you know what I mean.

Still, it’s a very accomplished and well made Zelda game that, for me, is much more successful than the DS outings were. In spite of just saying its roots work against it, in another way that allowed them to rediscover what made these games fun to begin with. It’s a very accessible Zelda game, easy to get into and fun to play. And its core mechanic of being able to go into walls is used really well.

Comment

I thought A Link Between Worlds was brilliant. Enough new to feel fresh, enough old to hit the nostalgia buttons. Difficulty felt just right for me. Can't really fault it.

Love this dungeon music ...

Comment

Gonna have to get it. Never seems like it drops below £15, even preowned it's not far off. Hated that first DS Zelda, too scrappy and dull, hence never bothered at all with Spirit Tracks as a result.

Comment

Today's showcase game:

Kid Icarus: Uprising

The 3DS game that probably most begs for a Switch remaster, Kid Icarus returned in a hand cramping shooter that gave an insane amount of content in its surprisingly long campaign.

Share your thoughts and memories of Kid Icarus: Uprising

Comment

Short review: absolutely superb game with terrible controls.

Yep, I'd definitely go for a remaster because the Switch would solve the control issues and make a fantastic game much more playable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Short review: absolutely superb game with terrible controls.

Yep, I'd definitely go for a remaster because the Switch would solve the control issues and make a fantastic game much more playable.
                        I agree in spirit but not in practice; I think it's a bad game because it has terrible controls... But there's a really, really good game that's straining to get out!

I would love a remaster.

Comment

Kid Icarus: thought this was absolute garbage. Completely un workable controls.

A link between worlds: I didn’t put it down from start to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            I agree in spirit but not in practice; I think it's a bad game because it has terrible controls... But there's a really, really good game that's straining to get out!
                            Yep, when you put it like that I can't disagree.

Comment

Ironically, though the game requires an awkward crab handed approach I didn't find much difficulty in getting used to it. It's basically just a case of holding the system in your left hand and aiming with the stylus in the right so depends a lot on which model of system is being used due to the weight in prolonged play. A 2DS would probably be a cheap and dirty way of easily playing it

Comment

The downside there is that the 3D in this game is pretty incredible. And yet barely usable because of the controls. You can't keep the system centred.

Comment

Working...
                                X