No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective X01: Nintendo 3DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True, alt choice would then be the New 3DS I guess, lighter weight and better camera assisted 3D.

Comment

Yes, I know that was one of the features of the New 3DS but never got to try it out. If it worked as people said it does, it would be really helpful for this type of game. I still want to get a New 3DS at some point.

Comment

Interesting reading the thread. I think the 3DS is easily the handheld I've had most fun with and I own 3 of them as a result. It's a fantastic machine that has great emulation capabilities too. Most importantly it has Animal Crossing: New Leaf, which is superb.
        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Such a shame about KI:U, I really wanted to love it but just couldn't stand the controls.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
            Such a shame about KI:U, I really wanted to love it but just couldn't stand the controls.
            Much like Star Fox on the Wii-U. Still don't think Nintendo have figured out giving the public a box and a controller is fine.
            3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Yep. On one hand, I think that maybe it came down to the 3DS lacking a second stick but then Starfox, Panzer Dragoon and probably other similar games didn’t have a second stick either and they got the controls to work.

Comment

This thread and playing Luigi's Mansion 2 is deeply dangerous for my pockets. New 3DS XL is in the post

Comment

The first time I ever played on the 3DS was at E3 in 2010. Was absolutely stunned by the effect and the games that were being shown.

Retail units certainly suffered a screen downgrade from this initial test units but we're okay.

I've had a couple of black systems, the white machine when SM3DL came out, a silver XL, a white XL and currently a black New 3DS with the wooden faceplates.

I was really caught up in the whole Streetpass thing and loved it when I was in Tokyo getting max passes everyday and quickly completing jigsaw puzzles and playing all the other games like the ghost mansion one.

Haven't played it much recently. Need to revisit.

Comment

I'm trying to think what 3DS's I've owned over the years. Off the top of my head:

Aqua 3DS
                    Monster Hunter 3 White and Red 3DS
                    Red 3DS
                    Blue 3DS XL
                    Red 3DS XL
                    White and Red 2DS
                    New 3DS XL Red Pokemon X/Y
                    New 3DS XL Metallic Black

The one on it's way is the New 3DS XL Samus Returns Edition so the penultimate version, hopefully not in too bad a condition as a result

Comment

Today's showcase game:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

This game has been the life blood for fans who were denied a Wii U entry into the series. It's another new town and a new home but this time you're the mayor!

Share your thoughts and memories of Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Comment

Went back to playing it this weekend after this thread appeared!
                        I'd mainly played in the winter so I even filled in some missing bugs the first day.
                        I might have my village open later so we can have some visiting going on.

Comment

New Leaf is a thing of beauty. It is so full of charm. And there is enough in it to keep daily play going for several years, which meant that it ended up as my most played 3DS game. It looks gorgeous, sounds gorgeous and is just really peaceful and fun. It is a game for the soul.

I think my only criticism of the game would be that the personalities of the villagers are too similar. Making the grumpier villagers nicer kind of placed them all around the middle but they also need more personality types.

Still, I think it's a wonderful game and a wonderful experience.

Comment

Wow, eight years? And I never got around to buying one in the end...
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

It's too easy to catch up now. A reasonable conditioned second hand 2DS is only about £40 now.

Super Mario 3D Land
                              Oh what a naughty game this was. Cleverly taking the idea of playing on the systems 3D perspective, this entry brought a 3D movement original Mario entry to handheld for the first time and it worked brilliantly, so well in fact that Nintendo was inspired to expand the concept for the WiiU in a follow up that was even better but disappointed many by not expanding on the Galaxy games.

Share your thoughts and memories of Super Mario 3D Land

Comment

I liked it. I thought the short levels worked really well. It was 3D but very contained so it reminded me of Super Mario Bros 3, which was probably the intention. But it was visually bland and there was nothing to give it a unique sense of identity or to pull me through it as a coherent experience, so it felt like a collection of levels if you know what I mean. But it was good.

Comment

Working...
                                X