No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective X01: Nintendo 3DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really loved this. I know what Dogg means, about a lack of an overarching visual identity. It's the problem that 3D World also has, which is that it's a collection of stock Mario environments rendered from an interesting new viewpoint.

Both games are a middleground between the hyper conservative NSMB series (forest level, fire level with lava pits, slippy slidey ice level) and the brilliantly directional mainline games.

But, for what they are, I think they're terrific fun. This one has got all that lovely kineticism that makes 3D Mario games intrinsically fun to play with, like bouncy elastic toys, and the graphics have a nice complementary solidity.

It's probably up there with Luigi's Mansion 2 for me as the best use of 3D on the system - I'm not an expert on the machine though, so I'm sure there are others - but playing it on a non-3D unit, I did end up switching it off after a while. It was too easy to break the very narrow FOV, especially on public transport, and it made my eyes feel kinda tired after a while.

That was a problem of the hardware, not the software though. I basically just ended up sliding it up on particularly tricky perspective based bits to give myself a boost and keeping it off the rest of the time.

In terms of my memories of the game, I received a 3DS for Christmas in I think 2011. It was the white version that came pre-loaded with Mario Kart 7, and at the time Nintendo were running a promotion that if you registered a new console with Club Nintendo, you received a free game of your choice. Selecting 3D Land was the obvious choice for me - the game unlocked on January 1st, so a week after Xmas I had both MK7 and this. What a combo!

I was commuting to and from London from Oxfordshire at the time too, so these games along with the Project Diva F games on Vita kept me sane. I eventually 100%ed both MK7 and SML, mostly on train journeys.

Comment

I'll do a final round up of games tomorrow:
      Today's highlighted game is:

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon
      Bringing Luigi's haunted adventures back after many years, it had been assumed this game wasn't going to happen after the Gamecube launch title but it did and was incredibly lovingly crafted delivering a successful sophomore effort that now see's Luigi busting ghosts on the main system again this year three generations of hardware after his debut.

Share your thoughts and memories of Luigi's Mansion 2

Comment

Still have only played the first couple of missions on this. Can't help but wish they'd bring this to Switch as the controls feel a little fiddly to my paws. Another solid addition to the 3DS library though.
        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I think I got to one of the later bosses, decided the boss was just cheap and traded the game in. No regrets.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
            I think I got to one of the later bosses, decided the boss was just cheap and traded the game in. No regrets.
            Similar experience here. I think it might have been the last boss or close to it but I can't be sure. Didn't have the patience to finish it. But I enjoyed it up to that point. I wasn't a huge fan of the mission structure, throwing you back each time, but the locations were great and there was a lot to be explored. It also looked really pretty on the 3DS.

Comment

There's kind of a penultimate section where you face loads of ghosts at once which is a pain as it's a real chore dying in the game. Other than that though the bosses themselves all had fairly straight forward attack patterns, apparently an area LM3 is aiming to improve on

Comment

And as a final addition, here's a list of other notable releases Nintendo delivered on its final dedicated handheld:

-Luigi's Mansion
                -Kirby: Triple Deluxe
                -Hey Pikmin!
                -Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
                -Yoshi's Epic Yarn
                -New Super Mario Bros 2
                -Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D
                -Mario Kart 7
                -Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
                -The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
                -Super Smash Bros 3DS
                -Starfox 64 3D
                -Ridge Racer 3D
                -Paper Mario: Sticker Star
                -Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam
                -Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowsers Minions
                -Kirby Planet Robobot
                -Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
                -Metroid: Samus Returns
                -Detective Pikachu
                -Pilotwings Resort 3D
                -Pokémon Moon/Sun
                -The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
                -Chibi Robo: Zip Lash

Share your thoughts and final memories of the 3DS and its line up
                Last edited by Neon Ignition; 02-07-2019, 11:52.

Comment

Working...
                X