Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone into Retro-Gaming in the Woking/Guildford Area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
    Too many to list, although I think my all time fave is Turbo Esprit. Driving round a proper 3d world, with petrol stations, zebra crossings, traffic lights etc, used to fascinate me, and still does now. Such an impressive game.
    The Amstrad version is the best, because it's just like the Spectrum version but with a nice amount of colour to make things even more attractive. It really did feel like a very early GTA back in the day. Easily one of my favourite 8-bit computer games; I even have a framed poster of the box art.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
      Welcome [MENTION=9442]buzz909[/MENTION]

When you get enough replies to this thread, change the title to "Anyone into dogging?"
      I thought that's what I was replying to.

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
      Yes that's pretty close. I'll send you a message v. soon.
      Sounds like a threat.
      Last edited by Escape-To-88; 25-06-2019, 05:59.
      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        The Amstrad version is the best, because it's just like the Spectrum version but with a nice amount of colour to make things even more attractive. It really did feel like a very early GTA back in the day. Easily one of my favourite 8-bit computer games; I even have a framed poster of the box art.
        It’s not, as it lacks the speed and handling.

Comment

It’s not, as it lacks the speed and handling.
          Felt perfectly fine to me, with the added bonus of everything looking nicer. I haven't tested it against the Spectrum version, so I guess it does run slower. Games that take advantage of the Amstrad's graphic capabilities tend to run slower than the Spectrum version.

It's down to personal taste. The Amstrad version has some graphical benefits that some people might appreciate. I much prefer how the Amstrad version looks, even if it might not be as nippy as the Speccy version.

The clamshell cases that Durell games came in were really nice.

Comment

Way more road visible and detail on speccy version too.

Comment

Way more road visible and detail on speccy version too.
              Yeah, another good point of the Speccy version. I'm glad that the Amstrad coder decided to take advantage of the hardware though, even if it's not as good in some respects. It's the same sort of situation with Chase HQ on the Spectrum and Amstrad.

Comment

I love this Speccy Vs Amstrad debate. Reminds me of the old days!

Has anyone ever seen the Amiga version of Jet Set Willy 2? It's crazy - it scrolls and has charmless graphics. You'd think it would have been better.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  It's the same sort of situation with Chase HQ on the Spectrum and Amstrad.
                  *boxing stance*

Comment

I love this Speccy Vs Amstrad debate. Reminds me of the old days!
                    I also love debate and banter about old stuff.

Has anyone ever seen the Amiga version of Jet Set Willy 2? It's crazy - it scrolls and has charmless graphics. You'd think it would have been better.

Yeah, it looks so bland and charmless next to the 8-bit versions. The same with the 16-bit Chuckie Egg games.

*boxing stance*
                    I throw in the towel, because both versions of Chase HQ have good points. I could see why someone might prefer the Spectrum version, as much as could understand why the Amstrad version might be seen as more attractive. They're both excellent ports.

WEC Le Mans on the Speccy beats them both though.

Comment

Working...
                    X