Cuphead [Xbox, Switch]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cuphead [Xbox, Switch]

Couldn't find a first play on this, not sure if there ever was one...

After finishing Sekiro I was after something challenging so played through this on Switch.

Lot's has been said about the art style being magnificent (it is) and how difficult it is (again, it is) but it is a great game.

I don't think it took me more than 10 hours to see it through but that reflects how much of a 'one more go' factor it has.

I didn't care much for the run and gun levels, they were a nice distraction but the main event is the bosses. There are plenty of them, all inventive, all challenging, all with a move set that can be learned.

Nothing feels unfair, you just need to learn how to react to what is happening and then react quickly to it.

The thing I was most impressed with was the control scheme. You have total control of your little mug man at all times. If you mess up, you are at fault because everything is doable with a core set of moves that doesn't require anything other than shoot, parry and jump.

Overall a great experience for anyone who likes to learn patterns and get that proper adrenaline rush of overcoming something that, at the start of an encounter, feels impossible. Quite a lot like Sekiro then in fact.
    10 - Mugshot
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Mugged Off
    0%

Was looking forward to this and picked it up in the eShop sale. I found it a disappointment to be honest. Thought the controls were clunky, the gameplay dated and far too hipster for me I'm afraid.
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I really liked what I played of the XB1 version; I'd agree with you that the bosses are way more interesting than the run and gun stages though. I was a little worried about the design and style being too prominent and the gameplay not being up to scratch, but I really didn't find that to be the case. The fact it was actually quite challenging was a nice surprise too.

Really want to play some more of this, and the Switch version seems to be a great port - when the physical version finally comes I'll definitely be all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post

Really want to play some more of this, and the Switch version seems to be a great port - when the physical version finally comes I'll definitely be all over it.
        Hammer. Nail. Head.

Comment

I'd err more on the side of [MENTION=4553]Escape-To-88[/MENTION] here.

The graphics are genuinely incredible, but I simply didn't find the game that much fun. It felt too stiff and awkward to play. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I wanted to.

Comment

I'm in the Escape-To-88/wakka camp too. I thought it was the bee's knees when I first bought it, bowled over by the production, but I didn't find it much fun to play either.

Comment

I was pleasantly surprised by the gameplay. I was wondering if ti was just going to be a graphical showcase but it's got good classic 2d gameplay with great bosses. There really well thought out and the highlight of this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                Was looking forward to this and picked it up in the eShop sale.
                Man, I withheld buying this hoping for a sale only to go and bloody miss it. How much was it reduced by?

Comment

And now PS4!

Continuing my Indie Double Dipping I thought I might have a chance at the Platinum for this as I've scored 80% of the trophies with relative ease.

Looking at the list though...

Beat King Dice without taking a hit

- that one there seems properly hard.

Still a great game if you like difficult titles, really looking forward to the DLC.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                    [...] when the physical version finally comes I'll definitely be all over it.
                    2019. 2019!! Hell's bells.

Anyway, the physical version finally did come, and I have finally made good on this promise.

Based on this thread it would seem the look of it is far more divisive than I would've thought - personally I still think it looks great, and if anything the DLC gets even more outlandish with its big showcase bosses with loads of lavish animation. It is an odd beast for sure though, going so hard on presentation when the gameplay doesn't let you really appreciate it from a casual standpoint. Arguably once you've figured out an encounter you can take it a bit easier, but it's clearly by design that you have to sit with intense focus and bash your head against these fights a few times before you can deal with everything. Given it seems to have been a massive mixed-media success, I would be stunned if there isn't at the very least some kind of spin-off that gives players more down-time to just soak up the look and feel of it.

For what it's worth, I did the main game first just using Cuphead, then went back and did the DLC as Ms Chalice after, trying to ape how folks who played along since day 1 did. I'm not sure I can be fussed re-doing everything for higher ranks / expert clears, but I have enjoyed it.

OH! Right at the end of the DLC there's also a Third Strike reference. GOTY 2023 in the bag.

Comment

Like yourself Fuse, I have been waiting for the physical version of this - for literally years… Now that it’s here, I’m going to wait a bit longer till it goes down in price.

I just wish they had 3 player co-op as that would be an insane experience… Literally chaos!

Maybe Christmas 2023 will be the time for me to finally dip into it…

Comment

Working...
                      X