1-Chip SNES/SFC Vs. Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1-Chip SNES/SFC Vs. Standard

I've seen a few comparisons and close-up shots, but realistically is there any visible difference when playing between a later 1-chip units and the original 2/3 chip variations of SNES/Super Famicom? I'm going to pick up SFC shortly and wondered if I'd genuinely be able to tell the difference, or if this is all the new retro kiddies claiming that 1-chip is visibly superior? I'b be running it on a PVM more-than-likely.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Escape-To-88; 02-07-2019, 09:21.
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

[MENTION=13863]speedlolita[/MENTION] can tell you

Comment

I have an RGB modded SNES MINI (1-chip)...and the picture is far superior to my original Super Famicom

Comment

I have seen pics and it looks a lot sharper, but has some minor compatibility issues. Defo the way to go if using a pvm.

Comment

on my BVM the original super famicom kinda looks a bit blurry in comparison. the snes mini is spot on and has much better contrast

Comment

Same here. The contrast and sharpness is slightly better.

It's still slightly a little however. You go one further and attain true contrast by installing a Voultar RGB amp which hasn't been in stock for years and even if they were he won't ship them internationally.

Comment

I have a C-sync 1-Chip Super Famicom Jr. The image looks extremely sharp and clear, to the point where I find it a bit too severe. Some details in games can look a bit rough. But if you want a razor sharp image, you'll love it.

The standard SFC has a slightly softer image in comparison, which I prefer. I think games looks a bit more attractive with a little bit of softness.

Comment

Yeah, I have a feeling I'll find it too sharp. Any idea how it compares to a pi clarity-wise? As playing SNES on that looks quite nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                  Any idea how it compares to a pi clarity-wise?
                  The 1-Chip looks similar to when you set an emulator to the sharpest setting.

It's definitely similar to what you get with a Pi in the sharpest mode. When given the choice between 'Linear or Nearest' on the Pi, I decided that I prefer 'Linear' as you get a little bit of softness. But some people might prefer the ultra sharp look.

It is sort of cool/impressive how sharp the 1-Chip can look though, so it's worth considering whether that's something you would appreciate.

Comment

I wouldn't say it's too sharp, it's how the picture 'should' look, with a 1 chip you are seeing RGB on the same quality level as the MD or Neo Geo. If your playing on a consumer set then it's not so bad but if you have a PVM/BVM you want a perfect pic

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                      or if this is all the new retro kiddies claiming that 1-chip is visibly superior? I'b be running it on a PVM more-than-likely.
                      Cheers
                      The picture does look sharper on a 1 Chip as the original 2 chip SNES's RGB output had a blur to it, but keep in mind the 1 chip had three different revision in quick succession each looks a bit different, before been axed from main unit due to compatibility issues and only used in the budget consoles.

Also many of the later games took advantages of the 2 chip hardware to reduce the blur in its RGB picture, so some games on a 1 chip will look overly sharp. If you're just playing the classics and early SNES games like Super Mario World, Contra III, then the 1 Chip is ideal.

The compatibility issue affects a lot more games than is documented, games like Yoshi's Island have minor graphics errors and Super Turrican has an audio issue with one of the weapons. There are reports some games are out and out broken on a 1 Chip, until someone playthrough ever SNES game on a 1 and 2 chip SNES we won't know all the flaws.

Many of the new retro kids like to shout about stuff, without looking into the flaws. Often they have a very limited selections of games to test with.

This is us at Randomised Gaming testing a truck load of games on a 2 Chip NTSC SNES via an OSSC, if you think this looks too sharp you might not like the 1 Chip. If you think it looks a bit blurry and don't mind the compatibility issue, then the 1 Chip will be for you:

RGBRetro do a fairly good screenshot compare of the different versions: https://www.retrorgb.com/snesversioncompare.html
                      Last edited by S3M; 03-07-2019, 12:37.

Comment

I've never noticed any issues with my snes mini, but compatibility issues like that are a minor in the grand scheme of things. I just want the perfect picture

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                          The picture does look sharper on a 1 Chip as the original 2 chip SNES's RGB output had a blur to it, but keep in mind the 1 chip had three different revision in quick succession each looks a bit different, before been axed from main unit due to compatibility issues and only used in the budget consoles.

Also many of the later games took advantages of the 2 chip hardware to reduce the blur in its RGB picture, so some games on a 1 chip will look overly sharp. If you're just playing the classics and early SNES games like Super Mario World, Contra III, then the 1 Chip is ideal.

The compatibility issue affects a lot more games than is documented, games like Yoshi's Island have minor graphics errors and Super Turrican has an audio issue with one of the weapons. There are reports some games are out and out broken on a 1 Chip, until someone playthrough ever SNES game on a 1 and 2 chip SNES we won't know all the flaws.

Many of the new retro kids like to shout about stuff, without looking into the flaws. Often they have a very limited selections of games to test with.

This is us at Randomised Gaming testing a truck load of games on a 2 Chip NTSC SNES, if you think this looks too sharp you might not like the 1 Chip. If you think it looks a bit blurry and don't mind the compatibility issue, then the 1 Chip will be for you:

RGBRetro do a fairly good screenshot compare of the different versions: https://www.retrorgb.com/snesversioncompare.html
                          Thanks mate, I'd seen the screenshot comparison so the video is far more what I was after. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by gamelife View Post
                            I've never noticed any issues with my snes mini, but compatibility issues like that are a minor in the grand scheme of things. I just want the perfect picture
                            Many of you underplay the problems and I suspect don't realise, how many issues there are on a 1 Chip as it is so poorly documented: https://www.reddit.com/r/snes/commen...s_jr_glitches/

That's list just a drop in the oceans, I suspect.

Last year someone found the walking graphics for Simon in Super Castlevania on a 1Chip can fault:
                            When common games like these are showing issues, I suspect, many issues are subtle and often over looked.

For me the perfect picture is pointless, if you are playing the game with corrupted graphics or audio, that the developers never intended to occur. As for someone like me, I'll see it every time and it will just drive me crazy. While I want a nice clean sharp picture, I'm prepared for a little quality loss if it means a bug free experience.

The 1 Chip adds slowdown into some games, that many people won't noticed, unless they play the same game regularly on a 2 Chip.

Comment

It must vary between chips, I play castlevania 4 regularly and I've never had any issues what so ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X