No announcement yet.

Games that deserve more appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have fond memories of Blue Stinger, but even at the time i knew it played like rubbish, but still the graphics, atmosphere and "acting" kept me going to the end.

Far as my underappreciated games of the top of my head.

Phantom Crash (xbox)
    Klonoa series (ps1/2)
    Rocket Robot on Wheels (n64)
    Longest Journey series (pc/xbox)
    Carmageddon 1/2 (pc)
    Lost Odyssey (360)

Comment

Download (PC Engine). Best cyberpunk game possibly until 2077.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        I still have happy memories of me, you and the likes of Lee and many other's at VGI all playing Blue Stinger and loving it (despite what the reviewers said) It was just awesome to go around with a lightsaber, killing all the monsters; I seem to remember Blue Stinger, Marvel, House of the Dead II, Super Speed Racing all coming out in the same week at VGI. Brilliant days and miss them so much

It's also a shame we never got a Deep Fear II I really loved that RE rip-off and the game setting and a Gunvalkyrie II, just with more levels and a control fix.
        I remember that time when all those jpn releases came out for the dc. What a time to be a gamer that was!

I’m a massive blue stringer fan too; love how it’s presented. Love illbleed too. Did you know the US version is from a completely different person perspective than the jpn version?

Comment

Some more sequels to underappreciated games, That I would have loved to have seen

Exhumed

Kung Fu Chaos

Enslaved

Singularity

Carrier

Maken X

Crimson Skies

BliNX II

SEGA GT 2002/Online

Galleon

Folklore

Urban Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
            I remember that time when all those jpn releases came out for the dc. What a time to be a gamer that was!

I’m a massive blue stringer fan too; love how it’s presented. Love illbleed too. Did you know the US version is from a completely different person perspective than the jpn version?
            I remember it very well, has I had to borrow money off Mum to watch Spurs Vs Newcastle in the FA Cup, down the Pub; I had spent all my wages on the games LOL. I so enjoyed Blue Stinge, remember talking to Lee and how a lot of us, were all stuck in the same part of the game (around the swimming section) I played the Pal version of the game down my mates and the new camera system just killed the game and made it far less cinematic

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
              Did not know if a thread like this existed, but there are many games out there that came and went and i think they deserve more

Two ps2 games i remember

Demon chaos , Dynasty warriors style game but more mystical and you cut through enemies a lot quicker, the big thing about the game is there was far more enemies with one mode with over 65k enemies you had to mow through

Sword of Etheria, action game but its hook was you had three characters and you would juggle enemies between them which allowed you to use fancy moves ....and i loved that
              Some good picks there eastyy, some great PS2 gems, if you like them you should check out Bujingai: The Forsaken City (If you don't already own it).

Two Dreamcast games that need way more respect are SNK's swansong Cool Cool Toon, which is a superb music title:

Record of Lodoss War, a Diablo clone that puts Diablo II to shame and both games released around the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                Some good picks there eastyy, some great PS2 gems, if you like them you should check out Bujingai: The Forsaken City (If you don't already own it).
                Yup have Bunjingai I really liked it

Went through a stage years ago picked up japanese games, most i thought would never get a western release......but nearly all of them did

Picked up this game to

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post

Argh, well reminded!

I had this last Christmas from my lovely BD Secret Santa and have been meaning to playing ever since, but Red Dead Redemption came along. Looks aces!

Comment

Gotcha Force for the GameCube. I'll always bring this game up when people talk about an overlooked game. Crazy robot battling action game with a collect-em up mechanic built in. There were even reasons to play co-op when you had both parts of a combining robot, and massive battleships that vastly dwarved the robots.

I might well have to bust it out next week.
                    Last edited by kryss; 03-07-2019, 13:25.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                      Gotcha Force for the GameCube. I'll always bring this game up when people talk about an overlooked game. Crazy robot battling action game with a collect-em up mechanic built in. There were even reasons to play co-op when you had both parts of a combining robot, and massive battleships that vastly dwarved the robots.
                      Great game on Cube, requires about six or seven playthroughs to get all the robots, there was also a event only one called G Black, but you can now cheat to get him: https://gotchaforce.fandom.com/wiki/G_Black

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                        Yup have Bunjingai I really liked it

Went through a stage years ago picked up japanese games, most i thought would never get a western release......but nearly all of them did

Picked up this game to

I only know about this game because of Consolevania heh. I didn't take to it quite as much as they did but enjoyed it overall.

I'll throw Kabuki Quantum fighter into the mix; an absolute killer action platformer where you play a CIA agent who downloads his brain into a computer system and fights enemies on screen as a kabuki actor. Well worth checking out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                          I'll throw Kabuki Quantum fighter into the mix; an absolute killer action platformer where you play a CIA agent who downloads his brain into a computer system and fights enemies on screen as a kabuki actor. Well worth checking out.
                          Yes, I remember borrowing this one off a school mate... really very good.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                            Snake, Rattle n’ Roll for the Megadrive or NES. Fantastic game from RARE’s heyday.
                            Yeah, a really well-crafted game for the NES. It still impresses me.

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post

I’d like to see something like Outrun or Chase HQ for the Neo•Geo...
                            It's such a shame that we didn't get a few top quality sprite scaling racers for the Neo Geo.

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                            Horizon Chase is this in spades.
                            Yeah, such a nice game. I have it for Steam and the PS4.

I just wish there were more high quality arcade style racers from indie devs. It's a shame that 90s Racer didn't come out.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              It's such a shame that we didn't get a few top quality sprite scaling racers for the Neo Geo.
                              I'm guessing it's because they had to compete in the arcades. Whilst it might've been powerful enough to rival anything you'd see on the SNES or Megadrive, I'm guessing sat side-by-side with the likes of Rad Mobile or Outrunners in an arcade, it might not have had enough power in the right places. There's also the issue of needing a custom cabinet, which kind of goes against the point of the Neo Geo.

Comment

NiGHTS. You can lock the thread now.

Comment

Working...
                                X