No announcement yet.

Games that deserve more appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martial masters was a very good fighting game though probably did not get much attention as no port and it was quite a later release for that type of game

Comment

Martial Masters is a quality vs. fighter, shame it’s so obscure. The animation is fluid and it plays really well, I just wish I’d gotten to spend more time with it.

I need to get some form of PGM emulation on the go as there’s some quality games for the system.

Comment

I also wished we got sequels to...

Rise of the Dragon - Found this game to be better than Snatcher and a more grown up game too.

Vagrant Story - One of the best RPG's ever

Stunt Car Racer - One of the most amazing driving games ever made

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
          I'm guessing it's because they had to compete in the arcades.
          Yeah, the tech wasn't powerful enough to compete with the best sprite scaling arcade hardware.

It would have been nice to see what the Neo Geo could have done with sprite scaling racers though. I'm sure they could have been something special by home standards.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post

Stunt Car Racer - One of the most amazing driving games ever made
          I'm still gutted that Geoff Crammond didn't get to make the proposed Xbox sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            Yeah, the tech wasn't powerful enough to compete with the best sprite scaling arcade hardware.

It would have been nice to see what the Neo Geo could have done with sprite scaling racers though. I'm sure they could have been something special by home standards.
            I've often wondered if Neo Geo could do a really good super scalar racing game. I think part of the problem was a lack of a steering wheel (althought they could have made one -They made a Mah Jong controller!)

Also Neo Geo can't change sprite priority (which sprite goes in front of another). You have to literally copy sprite data from one sprite to another to change it. It would have probably made it very complicated. Especially something like Outrunners with multiple hills/bumps onscreen and cars going behind them and inbetween other cars and large roadside objects (made up of lots of sprites joined together).

That might be why Riding Hero seemed quite basic especially since it was a first effort.

I'm still gutted that Geoff Crammond didn't get to make the proposed Xbox sequel.
            Me too. I loved that on Amiga. I was very happy to see the remake of Powerdrome come out on Xbox. That was one of the games I was looking forward to when I got an Amiga, although it didn't live up to my expectations when I actually played it. The Xbox version had a real sense of power and speed. Wasn't perfect but was very good. That game definitely deserves more appreciation

Comment

The Ninja on the Mastet System is an overlooked gem. It’s like Commando or Mercs but with ninjas. What else do you want from a game?

Comment

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
                I've often wondered if Neo Geo could do a really good super scalar racing game. I think part of the problem was a lack of a steering wheel (althought they could have made one -They made a Mah Jong controller!)

Also Neo Geo can't change sprite priority (which sprite goes in front of another). You have to literally copy sprite data from one sprite to another to change it. It would have probably made it very complicated. Especially something like Outrunners with multiple hills/bumps onscreen and cars going behind them and inbetween other cars and large roadside objects (made up of lots of sprites joined together).

That might be why Riding Hero seemed quite basic especially since it was a first effort.
                I always wondered with the Neo Geo, given how big and expensive the carts were could they add extra power along the lines of the Super Fx chip or anything else

Comment

G-Police
                  Starsky & Hutch
                  Mashed
                  Stuntman series

Comment

It's a shame it's such a poor game. You'd think the developer would have played Super Hang-On and delivered something of similar quality. Why is the road so narrow?

Me too. I loved that on Amiga. I was very happy to see the remake of Powerdrome come out on Xbox. That was one of the games I was looking forward to when I got an Amiga, although it didn't live up to my expectations when I actually played it. The Xbox version had a real sense of power and speed. Wasn't perfect but was very good. That game definitely deserves more appreciation
                    Yeah, I was also disappointed with the Amiga version. It seemed like an interesting game on paper, but didn't really work well in practice.

The Xbox version is really good. It's one of the best looking games for the system -- and runs really smoothly. I haven't seen it get any recognition over the years, so it's definitely an unsung gem.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    Mashed
                    I remember playing the PC version a lot against friends and family. Such a fun game. The sequel[Fully Loaded] on the Xbox is also worth playing.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 05-07-2019, 21:46.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                      The Ninja on the Mastet System is an overlooked gem. It’s like Commando or Mercs but with ninjas. What else do you want from a game?
                      100% best £9.99 game.

Comment

I'm still gutted we never got to see an Eternal Darkness HD remake or a sequel.

The narrative and voice acting remain the key reason i started writing years back.... Plus from a gamer mind-set i adored this game and as a developer mind-set i applaud they even managed to release it (perhaps on reflection thats an obvious reason why there hasn't been a sequel....and that makes me more sad...)

What they did was incredible and i wish... wish there was something in the modern era to help share and expand that appreciation.
                        ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

The list is really long, I do not know what to mention
                          Last edited by charlesr; 15-08-2019, 11:17.

Comment

Spanky's Quest for the SNES is a fun platformer with nice graphics and catchy music. You control Spanky as he uses bubbles(of varying sizes) to defeat enemies(and bosses) while collecting keys strewn around the levels.

Comment

Stunt Race FX
                              For all its flaws this came out on a 16bit console not that far in the wake of the birth of 3D games and featured vehicles with proper differing control to one another, roadside obstacles like falling rocks and animals etc, variety in the tracks, a stunt mode, smaller effects like water splashing against the windscreen etc. Nintendo should have given this another punt on N64.

Comment

Spanky's Quest for the SNES is a fun platformer with nice graphics and catchy music. You control Spanky as he uses bubbles(of varying sizes) to defeat enemies(and bosses) while collecting keys strewn around the levels.
                                To clarify - it that Spanky the Monkey?!

Comment

Working...
                                X