Official Amiga Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official Amiga Thread

We need one of these as there’s some good talk in the Amiga shooter topic so clearly some appetite.

Some suggestions for those interested in getting an Amiga for gaming:

Smallest footprint is of course an Amiga 600. A few games that need an numeric keypad won’t work but other than that pretty compatible.

To make it a bit easier to use I’d recommend a 68020 accelerator with a few MB of ram on there and an IDE to SD adapter (plugs right into the motherboard). This will let you use WHDLoad I.e. run games that have been installed onto the hard drive. Add a network card (wired or Wi-Fi) from retroready.one and you have internet access for downloading more games too.

Note that imo it is important that A600, A1200 and A4000 amigas be recapped as the caps will wreck the motherboard if not dealt with. Various places will do this for you for about £30.

Comment

Got any recommendations for the recapping Brad? I don't have an Amiga but do have an old PC motherboard I need recapping.

I always wanted an A1200 but with these new fangled vampire cards it seems like the A600 would be the best way to go now?

Comment

I can find the guy that recapped my A600. Dunno if he'd recap a PC though.I have an A2000 with a Vampire card in it and it's incredible. An A600 with one would be a right mini powerhouse! Probably less game compatible though, not sure, I'm still checking it out.BTW, I'm posting this on my Amiga :-)

Comment

What’s recapping?

Comment

Cheers Brad, the caps are bulging something fierce and it has me worried.

What monitor are you using for your Amiga? Still on a CRT or have you moved to a more modern screen?

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            What’s recapping?
            It's removing the old capacitors from the board and replacing them with new ones. If the caps leak due to age it can cause a lot of damage to your system.

Comment

Ah okay. Thanks. I would have had no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                BTW, I'm posting this on my Amiga :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                  Cheers Brad, the caps are bulging something fierce and it has me worried. What monitor are you using for your Amiga? Still on a CRT or have you moved to a more modern screen?It's removing the old capacitors from the board and replacing them with new ones. If the caps leak due to age it can cause a lot of damage to your system.
                  I have 2 monitors hooked up :-)My workbench launches onto a 1080p LCD. The Vampire has RTG GFX support so I have a screen res of 1280 x 720 @ 60Hz on there. When I launch anything that needs a regular amiga screen resolution though that comes out through regular RGB onto my Amiga 1081 CRT. Idid have the 1081 lined up to sell but a couple of days before I was going to transport it I tested it out and there was a horrendous buzzing so had to call the sale off. With hindsight I now think that was caused by having the volume turned way up with no audio input going into it because it seems fine now!!I'll post some pics of the setup once I tidy it a bit.

Comment

As someone asked in the other thread for some general Amiga recommendations, I should probably state the games which stick in my memory, as there's a reasonable chance these are either good or interesting for some reasons.

• Supercars 1&2 - top down racers, both really good fun. I seem to remember these sounding particularly good, which was part of the charm.
                    • Midnight Resistance - as a kid I never played any of the Contra games; when I saw Contra for the first time years later, I wondered if these games were related. I think this was one of Data East's knock-offs, but the Amiga version was a good game I think. I remember that it had two-player co-op too.
                    • North vs South - A pretty strange game, this was about the US Civil War. It had an overworld map which was turn-based, then a battle system where you controlled cannons, cavalry and footmen; the closest genre I could give it is a "vs 2D shooter" where you directly control the units and have to wipe out the other side before they wipe you out. This one gets top marks from me because of it being memorable; I can't think of anything I've ever played which is quite like it.
                    • Tower of Babel - A pretty forgettable first-person puzzle game. I always list this with Amiga games because it had a level editor, and was the first 3D game I ever played in which I was able to create my own levels and scenarios.
                    • Turrican (series) - Doesn't really need explanation.
                    • Desert Island Dizzy - Pretty well-known.
                    • X-out - 2D scrolling shooter. Came up in the prior thread.
                    • Body Blows (series) - These might be pretty bad games by modern standards but they were probably the best 2D fighter on the Amiga. The port of Street Fighter II was quite poor and when considering this, there's more to the comparison than just the quality of the actual game. SFII was split between discs; most of my memories of it involve long load times and disc swapping, whereas Body Blows was on one disc which just meant you got to play more game in an evening. Important for me when I was a kid.
                    • Bloodwych - Notable as it was the first RPG I ever played of any sort. Would be curious to play it again.

Like most people, I had a box of discs for the Amiga, with literally dozens, perhaps as many as a hundred games, a mixture of genuine and copies... But these are the only ones I remember.

Comment

I was just about to post, but I'll ask my question again anyway: So what games in other genres are worth playing on the Amiga, preferably system exclusive, or better than their console counterparts? I mean really good, console quality platformers, run n’ guns, RPGs that aren’t all point & click, etc..

Also. the RGB that comes from the backplane risers on the CD32: is it a straight-through connection to a GBS-8820 to get VGA, or does the lead require caps/resistors?

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                        Got any recommendations for the recapping Brad? I don't have an Amiga but do have an old PC motherboard I need recapping.

I always wanted an A1200 but with these new fangled vampire cards it seems like the A600 would be the best way to go now?
                        Mutant Catapillar!

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                          I was just about to post, but I'll ask my question again anyway: So what games in other genres are worth playing on the Amiga, preferably system exclusive, or better than their console counterparts? I mean really good, console quality platformers, run n’ guns, RPGs that aren’t all point & click, etc..

Also. the RGB that comes from the backplane risers on the CD32: is it a straight-through connection to a GBS-8820 to get VGA, or does the lead require caps/resistors?
                          Amiga probably the best way to play lemmings and canon fodder series. It came from the desert too. I’ll have to think hard for any more other than the one below:

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] North and South is ace yep!

Comment

My Amiga 4000 has been in storage for years. It will definitely need recapping- if the damage is not already done. The battery I removed years before that, so not too worried about that issue Thankfully there's lots of people in the Nordics who can do the work, it's whether I can afford the prices!
                            Last edited by gunrock; 06-07-2019, 11:05.

Comment

Get it sorted right now mate. Would be awful to ruin that machine

Comment

Working...
                              X