Super Mario Maker 2 - Nintendo Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Mario Maker 2 - Nintendo Switch

Woah. This is the first time that I've played a Mario Maker game and I have to say, it's blown me away a bit. The game has you thinking about level design when you're away from the game.

Me and my son have been getting caught up in the whole creation of courses and uploading them, then checking to see if people play them.

The presentation is splendid. Creating levels is a little tricky at times, especially in TV mode as you have to move a big Wii style hand whereas in handheld, you simply tap and draw with your finger.

There is a story mode with over 100 stages apparently, but I've been too busy creating.

Highly recommend this to Mario fans.

I'm enjoying this when I can, although I can't access some features I've seen in other people's levels, like the super ball from Super Mario Land. But I'm not in a hurry to look up how and would rather just find out for myself.

Endless mode lets you save and resume at any point, so do t worry about losing your progress (I hit 82 levels the other day). Story mode feels quite short....I'm at 70%-ish completion of the castle but suspect there is something more afterwards as I still have a crapton of levels to play through.

Two sore thumbs up from me too.

Let's get posting some levels!

Comment

JX1-NP5-G6G

Mario Worldy with some ghosts thrown in but don't like them distract you.

Comment

I'm really enjoying it! When it was first announced, I wondered whether it would add much over the Wii-U game, but they've actually added loads and there are so many new possibilities. I'm loving just playing around in the editor seeing what's possible and there are some incredibly creative stages out there (although as before, some pretty bad ones with an awful lot of likes!).

A couple of mine...

A short puzzle stage (pretty easy to work out)

LF3-HBT-1FG

Another short one, that might be quite tricky at first, but isn't too bad once you work it out.

X2M-19Q-00H

Comment

Finally unlocked the Super Ball Flower! Now to create the universe in the image of Mario Land...it's all going according to keikaku...

Comment

Isn't that unlocked relatively early in Story Mode?

Comment

It depends on the jobs you do. I had issues with one of them in the late 30s so came back to it much later.

Comment

I'm up to 70ish and haven't found many stages particularly hard. Some are tricky, mostly due to muscle memory imparting commands based on the original games' inertia...and for some reason having the buttstomp mapped to down on the d-pad led me many unforeseen deaths.

Comment

Chopping and changing does get a little annoying. There was one where sliding down walls as the screen auto-scrolled down was the main thing. I let Luigi do that one for me. Also that one with the stone and the 4 doors, the 4th door (with the grinders and the crane hook) was not possible by my reasoning - I added blocks to that to get it done.

Comment

What’s the story mode like guys? Is there one? Has it got coop? Can’t really find much info on it.

Comment

Story mode is a collection of self-contained levels create by Nintendo designers using the tools available in the game. You have to collect coins to pay for rebuilding Peach's castle and complete levels to continue construction. Completely building Peach's castle takes around 5 hours, and that covers around 50-60 of the available levels. Clearing certain levels unlocks tools to be used in the "Maker" portion of the game or outfits for your Mii (apparently they still exist).
                      I've found story mode pleasant, the levels might be short but some throw in some good twists you won't find in main Mario games, keeping interest high. It's the classic effect of "one more before I quit". It's also a good showcase for what you can do in the editor. Clearing all levels should take 10 hours or less.
                      I don't think there's coop.

Comment

Cheers bk.

Comment

Comment

Completed story mode yesterday, so here are some closing thoughts.
                            I'm not sure that there are 100 levels in total, probably there are a tad more: more tha 90 levels given by the taskmaster, then a couple of characters have 3 more, then there are some random stages given by others. Not that I mind! The only thing is that the very last level is given 4 stars for difficulty while instead it's more of a victory lap you complete in 30 seconds. Oh well.

Levels are on the short side and self-contained, which gives the story mode a pleasant "one more and I quit" vibe. Even the hardest levels aren't that challenging and should be clearable by everyone even without Luigi's help. I've noticed that in levels with tunnel vision bringing up Luigi's item menu will make the darkness disappear even without spending...mhmmm...coins? I've never used them, don't really know.
                            A lot of levels have a peculiar feeling different from mainstream Marios, as if all designers had a lot of fun making those and weren't constrained by a Mario game's tone and/or setting. I wouldn't mind for this kind of attitude to seep into main Mario titles, Mario Maker 2's story mode reminds me of Mario 3 in terms of variety and number of crazy stuff it has.

As with the original Mario Maker I had trouble adjusting to the "universal inertia" the game uses, rather than the different physics used by various titles. Mario's moves are also dependent on the graphical style used, so you won't get wall-jumping in levels styled after SMB or SMB3. When "advanced" movement options were available I found myself hitting down on the d-pad for the buttstimp by mistake a lot of times, I wish there were customization options for some controls so that only ZL and ZR would trigger it.
                            I was also a bit disappointed that Mario's mobility on the "overworld" (more like a strip of terrain with Peach's Castle and characters on it) is restricted to running and single jumping, I like to long- and triple jump freely whenever Mario's in 3D.

The campaign took less than 10 hours to complete, with the group stages after builidng all of Peach's Castle taking less time than the ones before, despite them being longer and harder. Probably this was due to me trying to get as many coins as possible for Castle parts, while after that I just went for the goal. The story mode holds a couple of surprises in the form of secondary characters, like the eraser guy...man he's creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                              Even the hardest levels aren't that challenging and should be clearable by everyone even without Luigi's help. I've noticed that in levels with tunnel vision bringing up Luigi's item menu will make the darkness disappear even without spending...mhmmm...coins? I've never used them, don't really know.
                              Luigi's help doesn't cost anything and there is nothing wrong with using it if you need to!

Curious how you beat that level with the stone and 4 doors/keys, the 4th door isn't possible as far as I could see.

Comment

Working...
                              X