Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I stack a dozen hard drives on top of each other without corrupting the data?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That will just stop them working. Someone could still retrieve the platter if they were really determined. Drill through the middle, or a couple of runs through of boot 'n nuke app should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
      That will just stop them working. Someone could still retrieve the platter if they were really determined. Drill through the middle, or a couple of runs through of boot 'n nuke app should do it.
      Thermite.

Not only is it effective, but it satisfies that firestarter gene we all have.

Comment

close the thread

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
          I can destroy HDDs by salt water soaking?
          I take mine apart and destroy the platters, better to wear eye protection or shatter them inside a poly bag.

Comment

Do a quick format and sell them to CeX

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
              Thermite.

Not only is it effective, but it satisfies that firestarter gene we all have.

I like this idea best!

I have some heavy duty drills - will put those through a few times. Or the angle grinder.

Originally posted by randombs View Post
              Do a quick format and sell them to CeX
              No one wants to buy IDEs except me for console modding. I actually check CEX for IDE sometimes, but they never have them.

Comment

Sketcz: "How can I preserve these drives so that the data survives for generations?"
                Also Sketcz: "How can I destroy these drives so nobody ever knows what I had on them?"

Comment

There are several softwares thst will wipe HDDs clean, but nothing is as satisfying (and fast for big drives) to open them and shatter the plates. Keep in mind that plates aren't as soft as in floppy discs, so wear protection.

Comment

OK, backed up all the drives apart from the dead IDE, which is a shame. It was my first Win98 computer.

However, one of the PS2 IDE drives (160gb) fell from a very large height and hit the ground, hard, and my computer and the PS2 HDD loading software both could not access the drive properly. "An unknown error" said one of the pop-up boxes.

I am assuming that the drive is now properly dead? There was no data on it, but these IDE drives are so hard to find, and now I only have one PS2 drive left. The others are Western Digital and only good for Xbox.

Damn it, why did everyone have to move on to SATA?

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                    Keep in mind that plates aren't as soft as in floppy discs, so wear protection.
                    Rest assured I shall be scalp to toe in rubber when I commence drilling, Buerayos_Krezerpski.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    Sketcz: "How can I preserve these drives so that the data survives for generations?"
                    Also Sketcz: "How can I destroy these drives so nobody ever knows what I had on them?"
                    There is method here, I assure you.

Basically, personal drives from PCs I want to back-up and destroy (mostly SATA).

And blank IDA drives, which I keep for console modding, I want to store safely so they last a few years, or until I feel the need to mod another console. I didn't want their magnets corrupting each other.
                    Last edited by Sketcz; 19-07-2019, 16:38.

Comment

However, one of the PS2 IDE drives (160gb) fell from a very large height and hit the ground, hard, and my computer and the PS2 HDD loading software both could not access the drive properly. "An unknown error" said one of the pop-up boxes.
                      Most probably a misaligned head. It is reparaible, but I doubt dedicated services will service an IDE drive, and if they do, it will cost a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                        Most probably a misaligned head. It is reparaible, but I doubt dedicated services will service an IDE drive, and if they do, it will cost a lot.
                        Is it fixable on one's own?

Alternatively, anyone know a good source for new and working IDE drives? I bought one off Amazon and it didn't work, so returned it.

My current crop of drives I got off some dodgy Gumtree bloke.

Comment

Is it fixable on one's own?
                          Alternatively, anyone know a good source for new and working IDE drives? I bought one off Amazon and it didn't work, so returned it.
                          Nope. You'll have to open the drive and that must be conducted in a dust-free room, with proper equipment. And even before that you'll have to diagnose what the real problem is. Consider the drive lost, you said it had no info on it right?
                          Never looked inot buying the IDE drives for a while, probably eBay is your best bet. Maybe investing in a IDE/SATA adapter if you can find one and work in consoles.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Sounds Sketczy.

Comment

Startech sata to ide adapters are good. They extend the length of a 3.5” drive by about another inch and a half maybe. Probably no good for putting inside a ps2 but maybe a 2.5” sata in there might be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                                They extend the length of 3.5” by about another inch and a half maybe.
                                Where can I someone get one of these?

Asking for my friend, Justin.

Comment

Working...
                                X