Awesome new Dreamcast documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I grew up believing Japan was this wonderful gaming nation, where unlike the West, was ready to take risks and make new creative games and then one went to Japan and its as casual as the West (more so even) for gaming. Unless it's an RPG or got the number 7 in it (or above), the Japanese gamer doesn't want to know and the amount of great gaming systems and indeed games The Japanese gamer as turned it's back on it quite tragic.

If anything the Wester gamer has been more open to different games, different genre's and different gaming systems from around the world
    Japanese game design was generally much more professional and therefore polished in the 80s and 90s. Also, when Japanese designers were fully focused on their culture and market, it made sure they had artistic integrity.

It's when Japanese publishers started pandering to the Western markets that game design suffered. You ended up with strange Eastern-Western hybrid games that hardly anyone liked.

Of course, the rise in Western gaming with the PS2 generation onwards did lead to Japanese publishers panicking and trying to find ways to appeal to gamers in the West who weren't as interested in Japanese games as they once were.

I think that sort of thing has calmed down over recent years though, with Japanese designers now more focused on staying true to their sensibilities. But I'm not sure if Japanese gaming will ever be a huge thing in Western markets again. Well.. not to the extent of how it was in the 80s and 90s when Japan really did rule the world of gaming -- and quite rightly so.

Another important point is -- Western developers gradually learned how to make truly fun, polished games. They learned a lot from Japanese game design. By the PS2 era, you were seeing Western devs delivering far more professional products that could easily stand proud next to the best from Japan. So you ended with games that had a very Western design ethos but with the polished quality you'd expect from a top Japanese publisher. This led to Western devs becoming extremely popular and well respected, which took the focus away from Japanese gaming. Gamers in the West then decided that they tended to prefer what Western devs were delivering.

You will always have Japanese games that appeal to a worldwide audience, but the days of Japanese publisher domination are long gone.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-07-2019, 12:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      Japanese game design was generally much more professional and therefore polished in the 80s and 90s.
      Yep, in Japan, you had like studios making games, while in the UK we had Matthew making Manic Minner in his bedroom LOL

Another important point is -- Western developers gradually learned how to make truly fun, polished games. They learned a lot from Japanese game design. By the PS2 era, you were seeing Western devs delivering far more professional products that could easily stand proud next to the best from Japan
      Yeah, also I was so disappointed with Japan when amazing games like Gradius V or Vagrant Story just didn't sell in Japan, while FF sold million and millions of copies. I also think that the likes of the 3DS and Wii did so much bad for Japanese development. Sure it sold millions, brought in new gamers and corps made millions off it, but it led to Japanese corps going more and more for mobile, simple games at the expense of big-budget huge productions, which as just seen the likes of Ubi take over.

Namco and Capcom are really the exceptions to the rule in Japan

Comment

Yep, in Japan, you had like studios making games, while in the UK we had Matthew making Manic Minner in his bedroom LOL
        Nintendo should have bought the license and made 'Manic Miner World'. I've always liked Manic Miner more than Jet Set Willy.

Yeah, also I was so disappointed with Japan when amazing games like Gradius V or Vagrant Story just didn't sell in Japan,
        It would be interesting to know the sales figures for Gradius V in Japan and Europe. I doubt the game sold very well over here.

Namco and Capcom are really the exceptions to the rule in Japan
        There here was a period when people started to think Japanese games were doomed on the world stage, but the likes of Capcom managed to come back strong with the PS4 generation.

But as much as Japanese publishers and devs have raised their profile once again, so people in the West are very much interested in Japanese created games again, I still think Western publishers and developers will continue to dominate.

It's an interesting part of gaming history, how Japan ruled gaming for a few decades. Japanese publishers used to dominate in all sorts of genres.

It actually got the point when lots of people in Western markets shunned Japanese games, because they were more than happy with what Western devs were delivering. Western publishers were covering all the bases with 'must-have' titles.

I'm glad that the gaming scene has matured over the past 15 years, to the point where there's now more interest in all sorts of games from around the world. Also, Steam and digital marketplaces in general have really helped smaller devs find success with more niche titles. I have a feeling(and a degree of hope) that the next generation will lead to even more creative diversity. There appears to be a larger appetite amongst gamers for all sorts of interesting games away from the big blockbuster titles.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 22-07-2019, 06:32.

Comment

Working...
        X