Awesome new Dreamcast documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome new Dreamcast documentary

I did a quick write up about it here, but I was really impressed with the way this documentary by the Youtube channel Achipel was put together. If you're a Sega fan it's well worth an hour and a half of your time.

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

For the 20th anniversary of the Dreamcast, we decided to engage in another set of conversations;this time with the game creators behind some of the console's...

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
    I did a quick write up about it here, but I was really impressed with the way this documentary by the Youtube channel Achipel was put together. If you're a Sega fan it's well worth an hour and a half of your time.

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD7JYqty8aE&t=792s
    Nice. I'll watch this tonight. Thanks for informing us.

Comment

I got about 40 minutes into part one the other day before I had to pause it to shoot off out, but I'd agree that it's very good. They've really got the right folks involved in it, and it's really making me look at that period and the collaboration across hardware/software divisions and teams in a way that's really driving home just how special that time was.

Archipel's channel in general is bloody fantastic, btw.

Comment

Yeah, I'll be honest I had never heard of them before but the quality (and as you say the level of people they interviewed) was really good.

I know it's a bit of an old codger thing to say, but it really does feel like for gaming the mid to end nineties was something special.
        Last edited by tokyochojin; 11-07-2019, 10:47.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD7JYqty8aE&t=792s
          Thanks for linking up to them, I'm 10 minutes late to work because I was watching part 1!

Great looking documentary, can't wait to watch more.

Comment

Excellent documentary and how epic was this machine. Such fond memories for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Hartley Hare View Post
              Excellent documentary and how epic was this machine. Such fond memories for sure
              Yes, So many WOW moments and so many wonderful happy memories. Playing the likes of Skies, PSO, Jet Set Radio for the 1st time were Epic moments as was going online with Quake 3 and Daytona USA 2001

Comment

It's a shame we never got a British version of Seaman too. I could picture someone like John Cleese doing an awesome posh Seamam. Also, it was always a pain back in the day trying to put on a Yankee accent to get Seaman to understand you 😅

Comment

Got around to this last night and loved it, it was fascinating to watch throughout.

Hearing developer's sincerely apologising for not making "good enough" games as the reason for the DC's demise I found depressing, or perhaps melancholic.

When you think of the utter dross that sells (and shifts consoles) today, it's clear in hindsight we've lost that creative philosophy that seems intrinsic to the way only the Japanese do/did things back in that era. When SEGA reshuffled its divisions circa 2000 it brought about a golden age of gaming we were lucky to experience.

Comment

Yep, a shortage of good enough games was never the Dreamcast's issue. Everything rests on Sega's ineptness

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post

When you think of the utter dross that sells (and shifts consoles) today, it's clear in hindsight we've lost that creative philosophy that seems intrinsic to the way only the Japanese do/did things back in that era. When SEGA reshuffled its divisions circa 2000 it brought about a golden age of gaming we were lucky to experience.
                      I don't it was much different back then, dross sold bucket loads back then and tbh I party blame the Japanese for the flops like the Dreamcast. Unless you had Squaresoft and Final Fantasy on your system back then, the Japanese didn't want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        I don't it was much different back then, dross sold bucket loads back then and tbh I party blame the Japanese for the flops like the Dreamcast. Unless you had Squaresoft and Final Fantasy on your system back then, the Japanese didn't want to know.
                        Sales are one thing, but videogame production and the overall creative philosophy of development studios is drastically compromised to how it was in the Dreamcast era, you'd be mad to suggest it's the same as it's ever been. Today we get homogenised games running on homogenised engines, that take little creative or artistic risks in gameplay (especially in the West), and focus on storytelling to compensate for lack of ability. That documentary was a stark reminder of it for me. SEGA were taking huge risks. It paid off artistically and critically, just not commercially.

I agree completely that the Japanese sales market has always been especially bonkers (read: backwards thinking), and that harmed a console like the DC, but it wasn't much better elsewhere in the world either. It's hard to pin-point what they did wrong at all, perhaps the PS2 was the elephant in the room.

Comment

Sales are one thing, but videogame production and the overall creative philosophy of development studios is drastically compromised to how it was in the Dreamcast era, you'd be mad to suggest it's the same as it's ever been. Today we get homogenised games running on homogenised engines, that take little creative or artistic risks in gameplay (especially in the West), and focus on storytelling to compensate for lack of ability. That documentary was a stark reminder of it for me. SEGA were taking huge risks. It paid off artistically and critically, just not commercially.
                          I don't agree. I'm quite amazed at the output from the small studios of today on many levels; From their originality, to how professionally made the games are to how good they look and sound. I was down mates playing A Plague Tale and it's so wonderful, on Gamepass I'm enjoying some of the most creative games I've played in a long time with the likes of What Remains of Edith Finch and so on

I grew up believing Japan was this wonderful gaming nation, where unlike the West, was ready to take risks and make new creative games and then one went to Japan and its as casual as the West (more so even) for gaming. Unless it's an RPG or got the number 7 in it (or above), the Japanese gamer doesn't want to know and the amount of great gaming systems and indeed games The Japanese gamer as turned it's back on it quite tragic.

If anything the Wester gamer has been more open to different games, different genre's and different gaming systems from around the world

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            I don't agree. I'm quite amazed at the output from the small studios of today on many levels; From their originality, to how professionally made the games are to how good they look and sound. I was down mates playing A Plague Tale and it's so wonderful, on Gamepass I'm enjoying some of the most creative games I've played in a long time with the likes of What Remains of Edith Finch and so on.
                            If you think 'A Plague Tale' and '...Edith Finch' aren't exact examples of that creative homogeneity I was referencing, then I don't know what to tell ya.

It's true that Western design (traditionally at least) was more open to experimenting with technology and different concepts. But without wanting to go too off topic here, I still believe that the true spirit of videogame design comes from Japan, and the Dream Cast documentary (as well as your own comments about a preference to Western game design these days) proves that something has changed along the way. I found it very hard to swallow watching that documentary that the loss of Sega, and what they represented, has been for the better.

Comment

If you think 'A Plague Tale' and '...Edith Finch' aren't exact examples of that creative homogeneity I was referencing, then I don't know what to tell ya.
                              Those just small examples, there's plenty of quite creative games these days from the small indie developers and if one wants to talk of homogeneity; no matter how amazing Skies of Arcadia is, it is just an RPG, Space Channel another music game, Soulcalibur just a Vs fighter

What's really changed is Japan as sold its video game development soul, to the handhelds and the mobile and is a shadow of its amazing development past, as a result, the developers find it hard to match the pipelines of the Western developers

There's always that saying 'what goes around, comes around'. I remember when Western developers were saying they didn't have the budgets or the staff numbers to compete with Japan, now it seems to its Japan developers, that can't match Western budgets and staffing numbers. At least SEGA Japan is starting to come back to the consoles a little more, and pulling back from its heavy focus on mobile and there's always Capcom too

Comment

Working...
                              X