Atari ST?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    It was quite a popular machine for a few years. I think it sold loads at £299 with a big bundle of games.

But once the Amiga came down in price to £399 with the Batman bundle etc... the focus went onto Commodore's machine. People didn't really see developers showing off the Amiga tech until around 1989 anyway. I'm sure that showcase games like Shadow of the Beast really grabbed attention and made people want an A500.

I knew some people who sold their ST to help fund the purchase of an A500.
    I remember in my school in the early 90's the ST was huge and everyone was talking of Jimmy White Snooker and that RAC Rally game, only one person then owned the Amiga and he was the rich kid in our school with his father being the boss of a Bank. It took untill the time of the Amiga 600, for the Amiga to get more popular in my school, but really it was all the Master System, Atari ST and a few years latter the Mega Drive was huge in school

I also never forget the day, I came into school and in my form all the gamers we saying 'did you see Gamesmaster last night'. All the Micro Computer owners (Amiga, ST) were talking about the graphics to Strider on the Mega Drive that was used in a Golden Joystick challenge. They all couldn't believe the graphics and how it was all but Arcade perfect and a few of them were going from making fun of consoles to going out to buy the Mega Drive

Happy Days.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      only one person then owned the Amiga and he was the rich kid in our school with his father being the boss of a Bank.
      There weren't many good reasons, gaming wise, to own an Amiga in the early years. When I got my Amiga in 1989, because there were £399 bundles, we started to see some really impressive games. I'll never forget how amazing Shadow of the Beast was, or how much I loved Rainbow Islands and The New Zealand Story. Battle Squadron was also really impressive.

They all couldn't believe the graphics and how it was all but Arcade perfect and a few of them were going from making fun of consoles to going out to buy the Mega Drive
      I remember Golden Axe and Strider really tempting me to get a Mega Drive. But I managed to resist for a while. I think it was Castle of Illusion that finally convinced me I had to have an MD.

Comment

I remember Golden Axe and Strider really tempting me to get a Mega Drive. But I managed to resist for a while. I think it was Castle of Illusion that finally convinced me I had to have an MD.
        I had the ST before I had the Mega Drive, but so many mates in school (and also my computer teacher) would make fun of the consoles. It wasn't untill the day most saw Strider on the Mega Drive on Games Master that a lot of them, stopped making fun

There weren't many good reasons, gaming wise, to own an Amiga in the early years. When I got my Amiga in 1989, because there were £399 bundles, we started to see some really impressive games
        Only 2 of my friends had an Amiga, almost all the rest had either an ST or some console (in most cases both). I remember going to my friend's house when he just had got Xenon 2 Megablast and I really couldn't believe how good the game looked and sounded. My mum couldn't afford to buy me all the gaming systems I wanted LOL and had to wait for the Amiga 600 and only then had one, when it came down in price

I think for 3D sim games, the Atari ST and Amiga were in a class of their own over the consoles. My and my Uncle used to love playing the flight sims

Comment

. It wasn't untill the day most saw Strider on the Mega Drive on Games Master that a lot of them, stopped making fun
          The big chunky sprites really impressed people. Such a great port.

I think for 3D sim games, the Atari ST and Amiga were in a class of their own over the consoles. My and my Uncle used to love playing the flight sims
          I remember seeing Interceptor in a computer shop around 1988 and it blew me away.

I played all sorts of flight sims -- from Falcon, Bomber, to F19 and F29. It's the only time I've really been interested in the genre, probably because such nice 3D was such a huge jump over 8-bit machines.

Comment

It was quite a popular machine for a few years. I think it sold loads at £299 with a big bundle of games.
            But once the Amiga came down in price to £399 with the Batman bundle etc... the focus went onto Commodore's machine. People didn't really see developers showing off the Amiga tech until around 1989 anyway. I'm sure that showcase games like Shadow of the Beast really grabbed attention and made people want an A500.
            I knew some people who sold their ST to help fund the purchase of an A500.
            I had been following the Amiga for some time as a C64 owner, was going to get an A1000 but when the A500 came out I couldn't wait to hand over my cash, think I paid £599 for it in 1987, absolutely loved it, as soon as the 512k upgrade came out I bought that along with Superbase, there goes another £350+
            Later got an A500+ which was soon followed by a GVP A530 which could have been about £600 with the extra RAM onboard. At the time I spent an insane amount of dosh on allsorts of addon chips and such, but was completely addicted to the scene and was spending more time on the Amiga than on the day job.

I remember seeing Interceptor in a computer shop around 1988 and it blew me away.

I played all sorts of flight sims -- from Falcon, Bomber, to F19 and F29. It's the only time I've really been interested in the genre, probably because such nice 3D was such a huge jump over 8-bit machines.
            Yep the flight sim on the speccy was a bit of a disappointment, lake orb, lake tri and so on.

On Flight Simulator II on the Amiga you could do the first few hours of your pilots licence in America at the time.

Interceptor was amazing for the time, the first time on a games machine you were in a recognisable 3D world (ie not space combat like Elite) that actually moved faster than 2fps.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
              as soon as the 512k upgrade came out I bought that
              I remember buying the 512k upgrade that came with Dungeon Master. I wanted to like the game, but the puzzles drove me mad. ... Bloodwych and Captive were more enjoyable.

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
              that actually moved faster than 2fps.
              Yeah, more than 2fps was nice.

Comment

I always thought it was ****. But then I was an Amiga owner. ST always looked washed out graphically and sounded like ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                  I always thought it was ****. But then I was an Amiga owner. ST always looked washed out graphically and sounded like ass.
                  There are some games that show the Atari ST was an OK 16-bit computer, but it certainly didn't have the graphic and audio capabilities to really impress people who had experienced what the Amiga could do.

I know some people will defend the Atari ST for various reasons, but at the time the Amiga was doing impressive things that the ST couldn't. The later STE variant improved things, but by that time Commodore had managed to make the A500 the 'must-have' machine of the late 80s and into the early 90s.

I have found some interest in learning about the ST though -- mostly by watching 'The Joy of Sticks' YouTube channel, run by devout ST fan Marc.

Comment

Working...
                  X