User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Retro View Post

Yeah, both would have been perfect Saturn ports. There was still a huge appetite for 2D games in Japan, so it's strange that Sega didn't port them.
    Could never work it out myself. Those games would not only show off the Saturn 2D might but also be a great advert of the Multi-Tap . Far more so than Victory Goal at the time IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Arashikage View Post
    They must have been going for Steve Ditko’s artwork, maybe that’s why it all looks so stilted.
    Yeah, the developer obviously went for the 60s comic book look. I can agree that it all looks a bit wooden and funny in some ways, but I still think it's impressive overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
    Sega Spider-Man has aged badly visual-wise IMO.
    It's very much a B-movie sort of game that's a bit dodgy in many ways, but has a certain degree of charm that makes it worth playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    . Far more so than Victory Goal at the time IMO
    I truly hated Victory Goal.

It's baffling why Sega didn't bung Golden Axe The Revenge on the Saturn -- even if it were just a Japan exclusive. I'm sure it would have sold pretty well, seeing it had such a positive rep. Lots of people were still interested in beat 'em ups if they had advanced graphics.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-07-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Retro View Post

It's very much a B-movie sort of game that's a bit dodgy in many ways, but has a certain degree of charm that makes it worth playing.
    It might be just me but no Marvel-inspired video game should be going for a “B-Movie” aesthetic, and certainly not one based on Spider-Man IMO. The likes of Ditko and Kirby certainly didn’t do B-Movie aesthetic with their artwork and they are two of the all-time comicbook greats.

As for it having charm, that’s debatable. It looks good in parts but very ropey in others.

Capcom’s The Punisher wiped the floor with Sega Spider-Man back then and wipes the floor with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post

Capcom’s The Punisher wiped the floor with Sega Spider-Man back then and wipes the floor with it now.
    Yeah, Capcom's Punisher is a masterpiece that stands the test of time perfectly.

I'm not saying Spider-Man from Sega is a great game, but it's not bad. When I mentioned "B-movie" I just meant it's all a bit clunky and unrefined, but still enjoyable.

It's a shame that Capcom didn't make loads of super hero scrolling beat 'em ups.