Retro Arena: Sega Arcade Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    I remember seeing it an arcade for the first time and it blew me away with the huge sprites and all the scaling
    I remember me and 2 of my mates playing the game on our school dinner break and we were all amazed at the graphics. I loved the way the characters would take up almost all of the screen and gradually scale in, the game almost looked like a Cartoon at times.

Really both Golden Axe: The Revenge and Arabian Fight should have ported to the Saturn when the Multi-Tap was launched.

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
      I always thought that Spider-Man looked terrible. I mean all the heroes look like they’ve got arthritis and are hunched over. If the developers put a bit of pizazz in the graphics style it could have been great.
      I politely disagree with this.

I think they were going for the comic vibe and nailed it, using limited colours on the attracts screens, but POW and THWIP speech bubbles in the main game.

Comment

I mean all the heroes look like they’ve got arthritis and are hunched over.
        That is a minor negative, but doesn't really detract from how great looking the game is overall. It's not something that bothers me. The producer should have got the artist(s) to amend the sprite art early on though, as it does look a bit funny how hunched over the characters are.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        Really both Golden Axe: The Revenge and Arabian Fight should have ported to the Saturn when the Multi-Tap was launched.
        Yeah, both would have been perfect Saturn ports. There was still a huge appetite for 2D games in Japan, so it's strange that Sega didn't port them.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-07-2019, 10:26.

Comment

I’ll admit that the game is colourful but I generally have issue with the way the heroes are framed. Spidey should have a dynamic pose like he does in the Capcom games rather than your next door neighbour in fancy dress. They must have been going for Steve Ditko’s artwork, maybe that’s why it all looks so stilted.

Comment

I think the truth is somewhere in between.

Sega Spider-Man definitely has a Ditko-esque vibe where it looks fantastic in parts, but there are parts where it looks rough and the main sprites definitely don’t have a superhero vibe about them.

Compared to the brilliant manga and anime-influenced leanings of the artwork that Akiman & Bengus did for the Marvel/Capcom games, Sega Spider-Man has aged badly visual-wise IMO.

Comment

Yeah, both would have been perfect Saturn ports. There was still a huge appetite for 2D games in Japan, so it's strange that Sega didn't port them.
              Could never work it out myself. Those games would not only show off the Saturn 2D might but also be a great advert of the Multi-Tap . Far more so than Victory Goal at the time IMO

Comment

They must have been going for Steve Ditko’s artwork, maybe that’s why it all looks so stilted.
                Yeah, the developer obviously went for the 60s comic book look. I can agree that it all looks a bit wooden and funny in some ways, but I still think it's impressive overall.

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                Sega Spider-Man has aged badly visual-wise IMO.
                It's very much a B-movie sort of game that's a bit dodgy in many ways, but has a certain degree of charm that makes it worth playing.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                . Far more so than Victory Goal at the time IMO
                I truly hated Victory Goal.

It's baffling why Sega didn't bung Golden Axe The Revenge on the Saturn -- even if it were just a Japan exclusive. I'm sure it would have sold pretty well, seeing it had such a positive rep. Lots of people were still interested in beat 'em ups if they had advanced graphics.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-07-2019, 13:42.

Comment

It's very much a B-movie sort of game that's a bit dodgy in many ways, but has a certain degree of charm that makes it worth playing.
                  It might be just me but no Marvel-inspired video game should be going for a “B-Movie” aesthetic, and certainly not one based on Spider-Man IMO. The likes of Ditko and Kirby certainly didn’t do B-Movie aesthetic with their artwork and they are two of the all-time comicbook greats.

As for it having charm, that’s debatable. It looks good in parts but very ropey in others.

Capcom’s The Punisher wiped the floor with Sega Spider-Man back then and wipes the floor with it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post

Capcom’s The Punisher wiped the floor with Sega Spider-Man back then and wipes the floor with it now.
                    Yeah, Capcom's Punisher is a masterpiece that stands the test of time perfectly.

I'm not saying Spider-Man from Sega is a great game, but it's not bad. When I mentioned "B-movie" I just meant it's all a bit clunky and unrefined, but still enjoyable.

It's a shame that Capcom didn't make loads of super hero scrolling beat 'em ups.

Comment

Working...
                    X