Alien Storm - 1990
    Moonwalker - 1990
    Bonanza Bros. - 1990
    Riot City - 1991
    Spider-Man - 1991
    Arabian Fight - 1992
    Golden Axe: The Revenge - 1992

Choose 3 games that you like the most.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-07-2019, 15:39.

Golden Axe
    Alien Storm
    Altered Beast

I know Altered Beast isn't a very good game, but I enjoy it.

If I had ever played Golden Axe The Revenge, it would probably replace Altered Beast, as I've heard it's very good.

Comment

Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder is really good, and it's a crime it never received a Saturn port. It's actually never been ported to anything, ever. I live in hope of an M2 Sega Ages port of this someday, maybe as part of a Golden Axe collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
        Alien Storm
        Such a fun game. I also really like the Mega Drive version.

Originally posted by Marius View Post
        If I had ever played Golden Axe The Revenge, it would probably replace Altered Beast, as I've heard it's very good.
        It's an impressive follow up to the original. Much better than the Mega Drive sequels.

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
        I live in hope of an M2 Sega Ages port of this someday, maybe as part of a Golden Axe collection.
        Fingers crossed.

Comment

Alien Syndrome “The Time Bomb is Set”
          Golden Axe
          ESWAT

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
            Alien Syndrome “The Time Bomb is Set”

This advert in magazines really grabbed me and made me want to play the game. Ended up liking the Amiga version a few years later. A fun game once you manage to defeat the bosses.

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
            Golden Axe
            I'll always love Golden Axe. When I hear the title music, it always enthuses me. I still enjoy playing through it and admiring how well crafted the graphics are.

Comment

I like Altered Beast. The idea of getting strong and then turning into a monster is ace. Doesn't quite make the cut, though.
              ESWAT is also ace, but the MD version is so much better, despite getting the suit quicker in the arcade.

Golden Axe, deffo. "Oh gaaaawd!"
              Those big, chunky sprites and the speech samples were great.
              I struggle separating arcade from MD, but the bigger sprites were definitely one of the differences.
              Remember the bonkers meta ending, where the bad guys escaped the arcade cab?!

Spider-Man is ace and is like two games in one - brawler and platformer. Played it through on MAME and it's still a good game.
              That first boss fight with Venom is brilliant as he oozes out of the container, then the sprites scale to make it a platformer was brilliant. I've never played it co-op, but who would want to be that lame-o Submariner?
              Think this captures the feel of being in a comic book adventure brilliantly.

Bonanza Bros.
              I remember seeing this in the arcade and being blown away by the graphics.
              At the time, ray-tracing was big news and simple 3D shapes were revolutionary.
              The arcade flyer was really savvy and made it look like the characters would be 3D, but the game sprites were just really well-drawn.

Comment

Alien Syndrome is the one I've played by far the most. I used to really like it in the arcade and on the C64. Clearly heavily influenced by Aliens and better than any official game from the era.

My local arcade had ESWAT for a while and I played it occasionally, but my experience of the others is pretty limited.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  ESWAT is also ace, but the MD version is so much better, despite getting the suit quicker in the arcade.
                  ESWAT is definitely an ace game, but the coin-op is comfortably better than the MD game.

Sounds better, looks better and plays better IMO. The MD reimagining really doesn't work with somme quite awkward attempts to incorporate platforming into the game. I personally would've preferred MD ESWAT be a port of the coin-op (which is what the Master System version was).

Anyhoo, my three picks would be ESWAT, Alien Storm & Moonwalker. Quite possibly three of the more underrated Sega coin-ops of the era.

Moonwalker is incredibly corny/cheesy/awkward now but was a lot of fun to play back then. The home console versions are spectacularly crap in comparison.

Alien Storm, perhaps obviously, has aged better than Golden Axe due to the styling and theme of it. Another Sega game that got a rubbish MD port IMO.

Comment

Moonwalker and Spiderman are the only ones I’ve actually played the cabinets of.

They had a 3-player Moonwalker cab at East Midlands Airport when we were going on a school trip to Jersey. I think a few of us cained a good quantity of our spending money before we’d even left the country!

Comment

Bummer, and here I was thinking this was a thread about Sega finally making a model 2 game collection pack.

If I had to choose from the above list I'd go with Moonwalker, Arabian Fight and Golden Axe: The Revenge.

Comment

1) Golden Axe - The best side scrolling co-op beat them up ever made.

2) Arabian Fight - Stunning looking game and was great fun in 3 player mode.

3) Golden Axe: The Revenge - Still to this day, it hurts this fab game was never ported to the Saturn.

Comment

I like Altered Beast. The idea of getting strong and then turning into a monster is ace. Doesn't quite make the cut, though.
                          I thought the arcade version looked really enticing, but I didn't enjoy playing it. Same with the MD version. If only the game had been more refined.

Remember the bonkers meta ending, where the bad guys escaped the arcade cab?!
                          I watched some guy in an arcade complete the game -- and the end sequence was hilarious.

Think this captures the feel of being in a comic book adventure brilliantly.
                          Yeah, the big, bold graphics are perfect for a comic book adaptation. The developer put a lot of craft into making a stand out coin-op.

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                          Clearly heavily influenced by Aliens and better than any official game from the era.
                          I enjoyed it far more than the 8-bit Aliens games. Arcade action has always been my thing over slower paced games.

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post

Moonwalker is incredibly corny/cheesy/awkward now but was a lot of fun to play back then. The home console versions are spectacularly crap in comparison.
                          Yeah, it's a bit clunky, but the overall design was really impressive. The home computer versions make the Mega Drive version seem brilliant in comparison.

Alien Storm, perhaps obviously, has aged better than Golden Axe due to the styling and theme of it. Another Sega game that got a rubbish MD port IMO.
                          I think the overall look and design might stand the test of time a bit better than Golden Axe. But GA is still nice to play through.

I've always thought Alien Storm on the MD is a very nice port. The music actually sounds more easy on the ear -- and it plays really well. The coin-op has the benefit of some corny speech and loads of vibrant colours etc...

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                          Bummer, and here I was thinking this was a thread about Sega finally making a model 2 game collection pack.
                          I wish Sega had announced a Model 2 collection.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                          1) Golden Axe - The best side scrolling co-op beat them up ever made.
                          It's probably in my Top 5 scrolling beat 'em ups. Such a great looking game that's full of atmosphere. Sega knew how to create timeless style.

2) Arabian Fight - Stunning looking game and was great fun in 3 player mode.
                          I remember seeing it an arcade for the first time and it blew me away with the huge sprites and all the scaling.

3) Golden Axe: The Revenge - Still to this day, it hurts this fab game was never ported to the Saturn.
                          If only Sega had ported Revenge instead of Duel. It's crazy that such a good game has never been ported to a home machine.
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-07-2019, 07:54.

Comment

ESWAT is definitely an ace game, but the coin-op is comfortably better than the MD game.

Sounds better, looks better and plays better IMO. The MD reimagining really doesn't work with somme quite awkward attempts to incorporate platforming into the game. I personally would've preferred MD ESWAT be a port of the coin-op (which is what the Master System version was).
                            The coin-op was definitely attention grabbing and, like Golden Axe, the Arcade sprites were loads bigger.
                            Personally, I remember playing MD ESWAT and thinking "What's going on? Where's my sweet mech suit?!", but ended up going through the prison level and really enjoying the way the game built up.

As I said, the arcade works better in that environment where you need action straight away, but it felt (IMHO) a little simplistic and not as good as something like Robocop, which felt more tactical.

It's cool that we can now play both games!

Comment

I always thought that Spider-Man looked terrible. I mean all the heroes look like they’ve got arthritis and are hunched over. If the developers put a bit of pizazz in the graphics style it could have been great.

Comment

Working...
                              X