Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch/PS4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch/PS4)

I've been anticipating this for a while now and jumped into the Switch version today.

I'm not too far yet but it already feels a lot less restrictive than the first game. Straight off the bat you can jump in the sea and swim. You get a lot more recipes to create stuff early on compared to the first game as well.

I'm building up the farm on the second island and getting sidetracked, trying to get it looking perfect as tends to happen with these games.

The writing/localisation has that Dragon Quest charm that I love.

The Switch version takes an absolute age to load to the title screen and definitely has some performance issues when docked. It runs a lot better in handheld mode though.

Good to hear people are enjoying it; it does look good.

Unfortunately my enthusiasm for it was killed when I heard that the much-vaunted co-op mode doesn't apply to the campaign; only the sandbox island.

Comment

That's a shame, they missed a good opportunity there.

-edit-
      I spent far too much time trying to get this roof right. Just had to give up in the end.

Last edited by Cepp; 14-07-2019, 22:53.

Comment

Ordered this after playing the demo for about 7 min. Will probs be here tomorrow. My first game ever in the genre (lumping everything from Harvest Moon to Minecraft together here)

Comment

It's addictive, one of those games you can spend a lot of time in without realising it.

I've been exploring the second island some more, unlocked some more recipes, took on some boss type monsters which were a little tough but fun. I got a
          and she's coming in really handy. Also, it turns out there are enemies in the sea so you have to be careful. I got murdered while exploring underwater before.

Comment

I finally got back from the second island after getting constantly sidetracked and I'm now building up my main base on the isle of awakening. New recipes can now be bought using hearts. You gain hearts from building, farming...etc so it all feels quite organic. Hearts also unlock new islands so it's in your best interest to keep building, farming and shaping the land.

Comment

That's good to know. The first was a bit meh after finishing the main story. I didn't feel any incentive to keep playing.

Comment

This game is amazing. I've only just finished the first island, even though I must be at 20 hours or more (is there a way to check playtime?), because I didn't wanna leave. Too busy perfecting my town lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                  This game is amazing. I've only just finished the first island, even though I must be at 20 hours or more (is there a way to check playtime?), because I didn't wanna leave. Too busy perfecting my town lol.
                  Same! I should have made mine larger from the start. Sucks when you think you're farm is good, then someone wants a toilet room, and you manage to kinda cram it in and you make it all perfect again only to have someone ask for their own little house. I had just enough space left for tomatoes and pumpkins when I got all the building requests. First thing I'm gonna do when I reach the second island is to expand the farm area
                  Last edited by Nico87; 21-07-2019, 23:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                    only to have someone ask for their own little house.
                    haha I think I went a bit overboard with the little girls request, I built her a tree house, with a rope bridge entry. I'll try get some screenshots.

Comment

Here's my Furrowfield. I was gonna add a perimeter fence using those giant stakes, but the enemies that attack town just bashed it down in 1 shot every 10 mins so there didn't seem much point lol. In the last screenshot, you can see the irrigation setup I thought was pretty cool. The soil is permanently watered for each crop, with the trench running along each row, and the wood panels sit on top of the water so you can run around on top of it. It also stops the NPCs trying to plow the ground in the irrigation trench and plant stuff in it

Comment

I ended up building vertically on my farm, just to get more space on the ground for farming. Building the first toilet made me chuckle with the huge line outside it each morning! I built them a few more since I needed the contents anyway.

I've tried looking for a playtime counter but there doesn't seem to be one. I'm sure the first game had one but I can't find it here. I'll just have to rely on the Switches internal timer I guess.

Back on awakening Isle I unlocked a metrick **** tonne of optional building quests. So many in fact, that I decided to ignore them and carry on with the main story. I could spend an extra 20 hours just doing that and I'm bound to unlock cooler stuff as the story progresses anyway.

The next island's turning out to be a treat btw, it's good step up from Furrowfield.

Comment

for anyone thats played the demo, can you transfer and continue your save into the full game?

Comment

You can transfer your save but nothing you build will be transferred over with it.

Comment

cheers, guess i'll limit how much i play of the demo if i like it

Comment

Working...
                              X