User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdx2 View Post
    Fair play to them - behind the gloss, it looks like a desperate place it work. Haven’t bought a thing from them since watching that undercover YouTube video.
    Amazon are currently following the laws that are in place in the UK, its down to our government to protect its citizens, something there not currently doing, zero hour contracts have eroded pay and conditions for workers and created this culture of people not getting paid a living wage and being exploited. Any legislation to improve working standards and pay has to come from our government.

Amazon get a lot of stick because there the big guys but if you want to go down this route you have to boycott company's like Tesco, Sainsburys Asda, Morisons, Lidil, Aldi ect too. They treat there staff pretty poorly with a lot of there staff subsidized by the UK government and having there wages topped up under JSA programs. why? Because their not paid a living wage. Don't even get me started on people like mike Ashley and his companys which keep its staff living week to week with zero hour contracts and extremely poor working conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
    Just had all my Prime Day deals cancelled due to 'damage in transit'. Hmm...
    Fishier than a hake strudel.
    Last edited by charlesr; 22-07-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    Amazon are currently following the laws that are in place in the UK, its down to our government to protect its citizens, something there not currently doing, zero hour contracts have eroded pay and conditions for workers and created this culture of people not getting paid a living wage and being exploited. Any legislation to improve working standards and pay has to come from our government.
    So mistreating people within the law excuses it? Come on, man, that's just passing the buck. It's everyone's responsibility, through their actions and interactions and choices, to create a society and culture that is pleasant for all. No excuses.

My prime next day delivery turned into Saturday. Like 4 day delivery. I donít care because I donít even want what I ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Monkey View Post
    So mistreating people within the law excuses it? Come on, man, that's just passing the buck. It's everyone's responsibility, through their actions and interactions and choices, to create a society and culture that is pleasant for all. No excuses.
    No, Zen Monkey, he's right. Amazon have to do that because their shareholders demand it. The capitalist system forces companies to do this, unless they're run as a collective or some other arrangement.

The Amazon workers can and should strike if they feel they need to; I don't blame them and I sympathise with them, but Amazon's a corporation, which is kinda like a self-reinforcing machine that is designed to maximise profits, no more, no less. It'll only really change when the governments of the world make sure that their profits suffer for those practices. Anything else is just lip-service.

Yeah, Asura and Lebowski have it right. As a director of a UK company itís your legal obligation to maximise profit. Besides that thereís the fact weíll be waiting a long effing time for Amazon to be nice to everyone who works for them of their own accord.

They need to be legally forced.

Haha, Brad, your post. Buying **** you donít need just because itís discounted - the true spirit of Prime Day!

If maximising profits means mistreating people then it's time to ditch legal obligation in favour of something of far greater value - humanity.

Besides which, these huge corporations are not autonomous machines and therefore unaccountable for their impact on people and the environment. Human beings run them and put the practices in place. The decision to track Amazon workers using GPS, the decision that talking with fellow colleagues or arriving to work one minute late or spending longer than 3 minutes on the toilet earns a strike and 3 strikes and your fired wasn't dreamed up by a computer; a human being put those rules in place. When an Amazon picker broke her foot and was told to take a pain killer and finish her shift, it wasn't a robot who told her that, it was a human being.

Oh yeah, people are arseholes. People are the worst. That’s why we need legislation though, because people are always gonna be like that. People should be nice. But they’re not and it sucks.

ive depressed myself now.