Magic Sword - 1990
    Mega Twins - 1990
    Mercs - 1990
    Carrier Air Wing - 1990
    Warriors of Fate - 1992
    Eco Fighters - 1993
    Saturday Night Slam Masters - 1993

Choose 3 games that you like the most.

Have all the Capcom fans gone on holiday?

I'll choose my 3 favourites.

Side Arms - Great graphics and memorable music, plus intense action makes this one of my favourite shooters. I also like the excellent PC Engine port.

Magic Sword - I've always liked how detailed and colourful the graphics are -- and the stirring music helps to create atmosphere. It's a shame the SNES version has so much slowdown, as the music is even better.

Eco Fighters - A great looking shooter that's a joy to play through. Has never received much recognition, but I've always liked it.

I was also considering Commando, Mega Twins and Mercs, as I've also played them a lot over the years.

Comment

GnG and GnG are the easy ones (although I've played home conversions much more than the arcade games).

The third choice is more difficult.

My local arcade had Carrier Airwing for a while and I remember playing it quite a lot...but I'm not sure it was actually *that* great.

I haven't played a lot of Mega Twins, but I remember enjoying it when I have and it's been one of those things I've always meant to play properly.

My introduction to Commando was on the C64 and without Rob Hubbard's soundtrack, the arcade version seems to lack a lot of the fun! Same for Bionic Commando actually (although switch Rob Hubbard for Tim Follin).

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
        GnG and GnG are the easy ones (although I've played home conversions much more than the arcade games).
        I really enjoyed Ghosts on the Amstrad and NES. Then Ghouls on the Mega Drive and SNES. I've always found them quite frustrating to play, but the graphics and music always keep me coming back for more.

My local arcade had Carrier Airwing for a while and I remember playing it quite a lot...but I'm not sure it was actually *that* great.
        I've played through it a few times -- and I'd say it's a bland version of UN Squadron. It's more advanced graphically, but lacks the overall magic of its predecessor.

My introduction to Commando was on the C64 and without Rob Hubbard's soundtrack, the arcade version seems to lack a lot of
        I still think Commando is a great looking arcade game.

I played the home versions a lot back in the day -- first on the Amstrad and Spectrum, then later on the Amiga. A Capcom masterpiece.

Comment

I quite like Magic Sword, our local dodgy arcade had it when I was in my teens, and I had the PS3 port.

Many, many 20 pences went into the bowling alley’s Ghouls n’ Ghosts, and I don’t think I ever made it past the second level! But I was only a wee lad, and it was right next to Xybots, which was quite distracting...

And the only other one of those I’ve played on an actual arcade cabinet is Warriors of Fate, which was at the Showcase cinema, before they decided to get rid of all their cabs. Muppets.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
            I quite like Magic Sword, our local dodgy arcade had it when I was in my teens, and I had the PS3 port.
            I've always loved Magic Sword since first seeing it in my local cinema; the graphics and fast-paced action really grabbed me. I also really like the SNES version, despite the terrible slowdown.

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
            And the only other one of those I’ve played on an actual arcade cabinet is Warriors of Fate
            I remember thinking it looked quite stunning when I saw it in a London arcade back in the day. A nice title to go alongside all the other classic Capcom beat 'em ups of the era.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 27-07-2019, 07:07.

Comment

*Wrong post*

Comment

Ghouls and Ghosts, Mercs and Warriors of Fate.

I think I enjoy Warriors as much as Capcom's AVP. For me the romance of the three kingdoms setting gives it the visual flair Final Fight had when I first played it. I also like the fairly large move set and the odd violence you get when you kill an opponent with the down, up and attack move.

It also has some secret moves, I use Chou-hi who is the bare handed fighter with the Zangief style scars. Along with the scars he also has a Zangief style spinning piledriver, performed when near an opponent (not in grab) and motioning 360 on the pad and pressing attack.

This is probably my favourite game that is on the Belt Action collection and I rarely saw it in arcades.

Comment

I've played Ghouls more, but that's on the MD, so Ghosts and Goblins for arcade.

Most of those games are pretty sweet, but I've got to give a shout out to Side Arms.
                  FFS, the ships transform and combine!

Final selection is Commando.
                  As a kid, I thought it was Arnie-related, but it's not.
                  I also thought it was incredibly tough as a kid with only a couple of 10ps to spend on the arcades in the local sports centre, so didn't play it very much.

However, they had it at one of the PlayExpo shows in Manchester and, of all the games there, I got addicted to it, trying to get on the high score table.

It's still tough, though!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

FFS, the ships transform and combine!
                    Yeah, that's such a cool feature.

As a kid, I thought it was Arnie-related, but it's not.
                    Yeah, you'd think it might have been, seeing Arnie's Commando movie came out the same year.

It's still tough, though!
                    Yeah, tough in a good way, so you keep coming back for more. Such a fun game.

Comment

This post has made me play these games again.
                      Looks like the Vita can play Capcom Collection Reloaded and Remixed.

Comment

Looks like the Vita can play Capcom Collection Reloaded and Remixed.
                        They're really good collections, so have fun.

Comment

Ghost N Ghouls - My fav Mega Drive game of all time and a game I still love to play .

Commando - One of my fav games on the Zx Spectrum and played it to death, back in the day .

MERCS - So much fun and the MD port was incredible

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post

MERCS - So much fun and the MD port was incredible
                            Yeah, the MD version was quite a big thing at the time. Was a 'must-have' game for a while.

I wish indie devs would make similar games; I think lots of people are fond of the genre.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-08-2019, 14:45.

Comment

Working...
                            X