No announcement yet.

The Super Famicom is a great system for shooters - discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axelay is a stunning shooter, a real showcase for the system and I love the side scrolling sections (they are almost of Neo Geo quality) and that ED 209 boss, is for me one of the greatest bosses ever .

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
      I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again and again. Axelay isn’t a great game*. I know I’m in a minority here (other than @CMcK) but I like nothing about it and find it horrible to play.

SFC Parodius games though, huge amount of love for them.

*For me personally, before anyone gets all nerd ragey.
      I'd agree Axelay is wildly overrated. Objectively it's decent but I've personally never got to grips with it. Agree that the Parodius series is awesome and the extra characters on the Super Famicom version of the second game are great, if somewhat superfluous. For me R-Type III: Third Lightning is a blinder.
      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I remember pretty much every mention of Axelay back in Super Play was about the graphics, in particular the big lava boss (stage... 4...?), rather than, y'know, this is the best shooter of all time or anything. I quite like it, but rabid defence of its transcendance seems an odd hill to die on.

That said...

Originally posted by dvdx2
        i'd say mario world was pretty tosh...lol
        Ban request please

Comment

People will talk of the graphics and sound in Axelay, because they were bloody amazing and for me the game played great too. People will talk of the wonderful gfx in Donkey Kong on the SNES or the ace gfx in Thunder Force IV on the MD and not just the gameplay .

So don't get why Axelay is being singled out for it . The game is a fantastic shooter and made wonderful use of the SNES with some ace Mode 7 bosses and some of the most wonderful music I have ever heard

Comment

There are better shooters, for sure, but you can say the same about Silvergun. And just like Silvergun it feels like an event ... with those eye-popping visuals and epic sound. I love the side-scrolling bits the best. And yeah, that music is outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              There are better shooters, for sure, but you can say the same about Silvergun. And just like Silvergun it feels like an event ... with those eye-popping visuals and epic sound. I love the side-scrolling bits the best. And yeah, that music is outstanding.
              Yes mate , one of those showcase games you play and show off to your mates, to show off the hardware . The game just looked and sounded incredible, back in the day and was also a fab shooter , to boot . I love the game

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                So don't get why Axelay is being singled out for it .
                I think it's perhaps because it's often the go-to shoot 'em up on the SNES and the only one that often appears in the "Best SNES games EVER!" lists (maybe in part because R-Type III was never released in the US).

I think the frustrating thing for me is it has moments of brilliance (I love stage 2, or coming up against those battleships on stage 6), but I really dislike the vertical stages. I always feel like I'm fighting the controls, they just don't feel fun at all. I don't even think they look that good, again compared to the horizontal stages which have some brilliant pixel art.

The music is great throughout though.

Going back to the subject overall, whilst not as good as say the PC Engine, the SNES clearly does have lots of good shmups. I think that sometimes the reputation it has for having nothing worthwhile is again because hardly any of them came out in the US.
                Last edited by ZipZap; 02-08-2019, 10:07.

Comment

Taking the MD/PCE out of the equation, do people here consider the Neo Geo AES or SNES the better platform for shooters?

Actually, whilst we’re at it, why not also decide between the MD and PCE? We could do a top four vote.

Edit: f*ck, this is too OT. I’ll start a new thread.

Comment

Normally, I go to Racket Boy for a guide to shmups for a system, but found there was no SNES one.
                    If there’s an old-school genre that you want to learn about or just dig into further, the Racketboy Genre Guides are you best resource Platformers Platforming Games 101: Running, Jumping, & More The Best Sega Genesis Action Platformers Shmups (2D Shooters) Shmups 101: A Beginner’s Guide to 2D Shooters The Best Beginner Shmups to Get …

Comment

Working...
                    X