SNK's new console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._neo_geo_hardware_as_well_as_a_new_metal_slug
    Neo Geo '2 and 3' on the way, apparently

SNK is making a new version of its legendary Neo Geo system, it has been revealed.

The announcement came from SNK Corporation chairman Ge Zhihui, who also revealed that a new Metal Slug title is in development for the new console, as well as other systems. The news came during an investor relations press conference in Seoul.

While it's not known exactly what form the new Neo Geo system will take – or why we're getting two versions, numbered '2 and 3' – Zhihui revealed that higher-than-expected sales of the Neo Geo Mini had convinced the company to create more hardware. However, he was quick to add that these new consoles are unrelated to the Neo Geo Mini, a stand-alone mini arcade cabinet pre-loaded with games that plugs into your TV via HDMI.

Fingers crossed for a new hardcore 2d system! FPGA based designed to throw around loads of colourful high resolution sprites. With FM and PCM sound hardware please.
    I don't know what's more shocking in that article, the anouncement of the new hardware or the fact that SNK Heroines has sold over 300,000 units!!!!!!!!

Great to here the news let's just hope you are right reagrding the system, looking forward to seeing Metal Slug 8 as well.

The "link" to the mini worries me.

Comment

Just why.

Comment

Jesus Christ the negatively with current gamers is so depressing. If it's little more than Neo Geo console mini , I'll be happy.

Hoping SEGA will follow suit and make a make new mini console .

Comment

Whatever this is I guarantee it will be expensive.

Comment

I wonder if Analogue or Terraonion are working on a FPGA Neo-Geo? Could steal SNKs thunder and open things up for homebrew developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              GREAT, just like the old Neo Geo days LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                I have the same feeling! I hope it's something completely new and has a physical media option.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                GREAT, just like the old Neo Geo days LOL
                Oh yes....that's it's legacy so why not continue.

Comment

Probably just a vessel to resell the old catalogue for the gazilllionth time, but it would be nice for a load of new stuff.

Comment

Honestly...if this isn’t going to be a mini-AES (WHAT SNK REALLY OUGHT TO HAVE DONE BY NOW) then what is the f**king point?

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                      I wonder if Analogue or Terraonion are working on a FPGA Neo-Geo? Could steal SNKs thunder and open things up for homebrew developers.
                      Analogue already made a CMVS (with a gorgeous wooden finish) back in 2011.

I doubt that they’ll go there again.

Comment

That was repurposed mvs units though. They know about fpga now so could supply greater quantities more cheaply I’d imagine. Not saying they’ll do it of course.

Comment

Someone will do an FPGA Neo. It’s a surefire hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                            That was repurposed mvs units though. They know about fpga now so could supply greater quantities more cheaply I’d imagine. Not saying they’ll do it of course.
                            Fair point, though that was nearly a decade ago now. I suspect the take-up wasn’t great on them, hence why Analogue haven’t bothered doing an FPGA Neo. I sincerely hope they prove me wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              Hmmm. Not sure about that. Analogue are the leaders in FPGA retro tech at this point and, as aforementioned, it’s been nearly a decade since they made CMVS machines. If they seemingly aren’t arsed, who would be?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                That would be cool but even if it doesn't happen it's ok. The Neo Geo MiSTer cores are under development and pretty soon will be 100% like the real thing. Just a matter of time.

Comment

Working...
                                X