SNK's new console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
    Hmmm. Not sure about that. Analogue are the leaders in FPGA retro tech at this point and, as aforementioned, it’s been nearly a decade since they made CMVS machines. If they seemingly aren’t arsed, who would be?
    I don’t think there’s any evidence they aren’t arsed. They’re a small team with a slow rate of releases. The Mega SG only released very recently. It made sense to do the more popular SNES and MD first, but a Neo is a natural next step from here. I’d say there’s a good business case for one from their perspective. I’d be surprised if it doesn’t happen, let’s put it that way.

Comment

SNK vs Analogue Interactive

R.....E...ADY

Considering the similarities between the two systems, the Neo is the next logical step for AI to take following the Megadrive. At least we’re pretty much guaranteed AI’s effort will be able to play original carts... I’m intrigued to see what SNK themselves bring to the table.

All I want is an FPGA NEO•GEO with HDMI output that can at least play my original AES carts. A second MVS cart slot or SD card support would just be the cherry on top.

Comment

It will be two fight sticks moulded together in a unit the shape of the SNK logo with 10 old SNK games pre-installed... no, that would be madness...

Comment

Yeah, no company would be that stupid...

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
            All I want is an FPGA NEO•GEO with HDMI output that can at least play my original AES carts. A second MVS cart slot or SD card support would just be the cherry on top.
            An FPGA Neo Geo that plays original AES carts via HDMI output with scanlines and all those sort of modern features would be awesome, what would be better for the larger audience would be if it could play games via SD card too which would negate the need for a Neo Geo Flash cart (which are not exactly cheap) that way the price of the system would seem even better value if priced right.

With that combination people could play original carts if they have them and original roms via SD card if they don't, you could have it use original controllers plus modern ones (maybe with a USB input alongside the original port) The trouble with MVS is the prices of those carts are also rising so even they aren't as affordable as they were 5-10 years ago as an alternative to AES, saying that maybe an adapter could be included or supplied seperately as an add-on that would allow MVS play on it for those who want it.

All just dreams at this point

Comment

Originally posted by DaytimeDreamer View Post
              That would be cool but even if it doesn't happen it's ok. The Neo Geo MiSTer cores are under development and pretty soon will be 100% like the real thing. Just a matter of time.
              This is all I'm interested in.

How are they doing with CPS-II at the moment?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                I don’t think there’s any evidence they aren’t arsed. They’re a small team with a slow rate of releases. The Mega SG only released very recently. It made sense to do the more popular SNES and MD first, but a Neo is a natural next step from here. I’d say there’s a good business case for one from their perspective. I’d be surprised if it doesn’t happen, let’s put it that way.
                I did say “seemingly”. And again, it’s been nearly a decade since they were dabbling with CMVS hardware - not an insignificant amount of time. I just feel like one would have been done by now if they were arsed. I don’t believe that it’s just a case of the Neo being ignored just because of the SNES and MD.

Natural next step or not, it doesn’t seem to be on Analogue’s horizon. Let’s hope I’m wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  This is all I'm interested in.

How are they doing with CPS-II at the moment?
                  They had to use more ram in the MiSTer in order to get Neo Geo to work because of the huge the games are in mbits. So even though I got a MiSTer from Jamie here I will either get a new one or upgrade this one when all has settled aka the cores are pretty much done and new 128mb modules are ready and tested with the MiSTer.

CPS2 is more or less the same. Pretty sure it will follow after Neo Geo. Sorgelig is developing the Neo Geo cores. He has pride the size of a palace so that's a good thing when it comes to development cause he takes pride in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by DaytimeDreamer View Post
                    They had to use more ram in the MiSTer in order to get Neo Geo to work because of the huge the games are in mbits. So even though I got a MiSTer from Jamie here I will either get a new one or upgrade this one when all has settled aka the cores are pretty much done and new 128mb modules are ready and tested with the MiSTer.

CPS2 is more or less the same. Pretty sure it will follow after Neo Geo. Sorgelig is developing the Neo Geo cores. He has pride the size of a palace so that's a good thing when it comes to development cause he takes pride in what he does.

Amazing, thanks. Really glad I didn't pick up a unit yet. When the day arrives I may sell off all of my original hardware and fund one with a couple of decent sticks and pads.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                      Analogue already made a CMVS (with a gorgeous wooden finish) back in 2011.

I doubt that they’ll go there again.
                      I have one of those units. Its lovely. But it is effectively an old MVS board with a UniBios and fancy shell. A HDMI enabled FPGA recreation would be a lot cheaper and smaller. Surely it would be feasible to make one barely any wider than the cart slot. And a jailbreak able to run ROMS from SD card would surely make it a big seller.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                        I have one of those units. Its lovely. But it is effectively an old MVS board with a UniBios and fancy shell. A HDMI enabled FPGA recreation would be a lot cheaper and smaller. Surely it would be feasible to make one barely any wider than the cart slot. And a jailbreak able to run ROMS from SD card would surely make it a big seller.
                        I don’t dispute any of that.

I just don’t think Analogue care enough right now to do it. If they did, they wouldn’t have left it eight years and counting since they made those CMVS machines, surely?

But like I said, I hope I’m wrong.

Comment

[MENTION=2970]Nu-Eclipse[/MENTION] I really can’t understand your logic Just because AI started off making consolized MVS systems, doesn’t mean that they aren’t going to make an FPGA Neo now that the technology is available. They haven’t been able to do it before as the FPGA technology to handle it didn’t exist or wasn’t feasibly affordable. Now it is, and that’s why it’s logical that it’ll be their next machine. Simple.

I mean, if their next project isn’t an FPGA Neo, I’d love to hear some realistic ideas of what it could be, other than a PC Engine. And even if it is a TG16 clone, it just means waiting a little longer for the inevitable Neo clone.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                            [MENTION=2970]Nu-Eclipse[/MENTION] I really can’t understand your logic Just because AI started off making consolized MVS systems, doesn’t mean that they aren’t going to make an FPGA Neo now that the technology is available. They haven’t been able to do it before as the FPGA technology to handle it didn’t exist or wasn’t feasibly affordable. Now it is, and that’s why it’s logical that it’ll be their next machine. Simple.

I mean, if their next project isn’t an FPGA Neo, I’d love to hear some realistic ideas of what it could be, other than a PC Engine. And even if it is a TG16 clone, it just means waiting a little longer for the inevitable Neo clone.
                            Not trying to be funny, but you really ought to try reading everything I have written and comprehending it properly instead of twisting it to come out with things I haven’t actually said.

It’s quite self-evident bordering on bloody obvious that Analogue starting off making CMVS hardware doesn’t equate to them not eventually making an FPGA Neo, and nowhere have I actually said that.

But for all we know, maybe those CMVS machines didn’t do well enough eight whole years ago for them to persist with Neo Geo tech in any way, shape or form. I don’t know, you don’t know and nobody else knows for sure.

Like I said, I personally just don’t think they are arsed about it. People knew that their SNES and MD products were coming eventually. This, for me, is different.

Comment

...and I should add a disclaimer to that in as so much as I would personally like to see Analogue do an FPGA N64 (that also looks a long way off as well, if they’re even intending to try to develop such hardware), if only because Nintendo don’t look like they’ll be doing an N64 Classic Mini any time soon.
                              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 03-08-2019, 19:58.

Comment

FPGA PCE please Analogue.

Comment

Working...
                                X