HDMI Cables question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDMI Cables question.

I have recently bought an Xbox One X to replace my launch model Xbox One. Because I'm quite sad (in the words of my sister when I showed her) I have 17 consoles hooked up via HDMI using different coloured HDMI cables to easily identify each one. The Xbox One was using Green and I just switched the X in without changing this. I do get an image displayed on my TV and it looks good to my eye. However the cables are only officially rated at 1.4. Everywhere I look tells me that I should be using 2.0 at minimum to carry all the HDR information. I have all the HDR 4K options turned on, on both the console and TV. I would have thought that I wouldn't see anything at all if the cable couldn't support all features. But am I wrong? Am I just getting an image that isn't transferring all of the colour depth information?

RGB Scart was never this confusing!

I am using this switcher https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NKG5WCP if that makes a difference?

you need an HDMI 2.0 cable for 4k

the console should tell you the video output

Comment

This video really helped me understand the difference in HDMI cables and switchers:

Upscaling, HDR, Capturing & More! 4K is now everywhere and is finally affordable, but getting started with a 4K setup comes with many new challenges that you...

Hope it helps.

Comment

There are several different grades of HDMI cable.

If you are doing 4k @60fps then you need one that is labeled as HDMI High Speed or 18GBPS

You'll get all kinds of weird errors and messages if the bandwidth isn't high enough and this increases as the cable length increases too.

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=8183]dyer60[/MENTION] lots of information there. Its going to take a couple of watches to comprehend.

Well I did expect to see errors thrown up but haven't as yet. I'm guessing that the takeaway from all this is forget the colour coded system and swap them out for the cables that came in the boxes with the consoles. Then check the cable from the switch to the TV is 2.0.

Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by chipsgravy View Post
            Thanks @dyer60 lots of information there. Its going to take a couple of watches to comprehend.

Well I did expect to see errors thrown up but haven't as yet. I'm guessing that the takeaway from all this is forget the colour coded system and swap them out for the cables that came in the boxes with the consoles. Then check the cable from the switch to the TV is 2.0.

Thanks all.
            Yep took me a few goes as well, the summary was good and my main takeaway to start with.

Comment

+1 for having all 17 hooked up. +1 again for having a system for knowing which is which!

Comment

Working...
              X