Phoenix|Down X7: Outrun 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
    It's a perfect arcade game! I can play it for hours.
    I would agree with you if it weren't for the fact that OutRun 2 was a flop. Hardly anyone bought the Xbox versions. Even gaming journos criticised the lack of content within a modern context.

I'm not saying a potential OutRun 3 should ape Forza Horizon, but I definitely think it should have loads more content/options and be focused on online. You'd need to make people feel it's a fresh, modern OutRun experience.

None of that would have to spoil the core OutRun experience for people who are happy to focus on that aspect. Sega just need to design an OutRun with all the good points of the franchise but with modern features to also satisfy modern gamers.

Comment

The concept of OutRun works precisely because it is what it is.

No need to do anything more to it or dilute it further. That kind of thing was attempted with Ridge Racer and the end result was Unbounded and no more Ridge Racer.

Sometimes, less is more.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        I would agree with you if it weren't for the fact that OutRun 2 was a flop. Hardly anyone bought the Xbox versions. Even gaming journos criticised the lack of content within a modern context.
        Obviously money talks, but do we want to encourage everything to be designed around mass-market appeal? Despite the apparent lack of content, I've spent far. far more time on Outrun SP than I have with Burnout, Horizon and so on. It's a true arcade racing experience. The handling model is quite simple which means anyone can sit down and race their friends, but there's massive opportunity to refine the way you play the game to push your score higher....and it always takes less than 5 minutes, which keeps the flow of coins going into the machine.

Comment

"Lack of content" concerns have been the death of some games. More content does not equal better. It often goes the other way. Nights Into Dreams 2 did not benefit from all the other stuff thrown in because they were probably worried the core wouldn't be seen as enough. Throwing character creation and all kinds of other distractions has not made Soul Calibur a better game. And yeah, Ridge Racer Unbounded.

It's okay to let a game be what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            That kind of thing was attempted with Ridge Racer and the end result was Unbounded
            Did I say anything about completely changing the quintessential qualities that have made OutRun(original and sequel) enduring classics? No, I just think making sure a potential OutRun 3 has lots of content and modes would maybe help it appeal to a wide range of gamers. I'm not saying the core formula should be changed, but delivering a package that embraces the modern desire for lots of features/content would be a wise move.

Giving people goals with rewards like trophies would also appeal to people. It would be all about building a sense of community that makes people want to play the game again and again mastering their skills in a variety of modes.

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
            Obviously money talks, but do we want to encourage everything to be designed around mass-market appeal? D
            I'd personally be more than happy with a shiny OutRun 3 that sticks closely to what OutRun 2 SP offered. It would be an instant download for me if Sega decided digital-only was the best approach.

But I don't see any harm in extending the scope of the game with lots of features and enough content to maybe satisfy a modern audience that expects a quite a bit more than what old school arcade racers offered.

Ultimately, I'd love it if OutRun 3 were released and found reasonable success. It was sad to see OutRun 2 & 2006 fail on the Xbox, because I played them a lot online and thought they were immensely enjoyable. I loved how they offered something different away from the PGR and RalliSport games that I also played. Maybe the problem was being full price? A digital-only OutRun 3 might grab attention at a similar price{£15] point to Horizon Chase Turbo. That game has shown that a racer with old school qualities can find success in the modern digital market.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-08-2019, 20:47.

Comment

Outrun 3 would be awesome as long as it’s just like Outrun 2 SP / C2C, except with new tracks and more Ferraris to thrash.

Comment

A digital released Outrun 3 that was released for a reasonable price (likely including all the Outrun 1 and 2 content too) could do decently enough whilst working as an arcade title too. It'd definitely need enough content but that kind of arcade experience is sadly missed.

Comment

Yu Suzuki hints that he may be lining up another revival project with Sega and also adds that he'd like to work on Virtua Fighter 6 and Outrun 3 at some point

Comment

He’s been reading this thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X