Phoenix|Down X7: Outrun 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phoenix|Down X7: Outrun 3

In 1986 Sega put out an arcade racer that would forever more be considered a blue skies great. It would be a staggering seventeen years later until the company issued a full fledged sequel to that game, itself going on to be beloved by many who experienced it. An SP version of the game aside, next year will mark seventeen years once again since that sequel was released and as yet there remains no real word on the next true sequel...

Outrun 3

Like many who want to once again experience the warm flow of a Magical Sound Shower all over their faces, we wait to see if Sega will ever return to this arcade classic, but in the intervening years the market hasn't been kind to racers generally and certainly not to those from arcade style roots. If Sega were to announce they were taking another run at the franchise, what would you want to see from a next generation powered Outrun?

Oh yeah i'd be queueing up, I thought OR2 was gioing to be a sham but turned out to be one of my most played games ever in the home and arcades, especially SP.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      the warm flow of a Magical Sound Shower all over their faces,

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      what would you want to see from a next generation powered Outrun?
      I'd want lots of race options and content. A game that really celebrates the Ferrari brand in a beautiful, fun way.

The huge issue some people had with OR2 is how limited the game feels, so Sega would need to make sure the overall package has lots of stuff to keep people coming back for more. Obviously, it should embrace online and focus on building an OutRun community. Sega could learn a lot from games like Forza Horizon in some respects.

With modern tech, the game could be absolutely stunning. You'd just need a lot of commitment to make sure the overall package is in tune with modern gaming. An old school vibe but with modern standards to bolster everything.

Comment

I'd want it to be silky like OR2 was. And somehow combine the aesthetic of both games rolled into one, the vivid colours, all in beautiful, slick, pin-sharpedness. But with gfx that channel both OR1 and OR2 at once. At the highest possible def, And sharp as a pin. Pin-sharp.

And brill, brill music, from the original composers if poss. And unlockables remixes and other choonz. I'm talking acres, I want a game that keeps ya racing and enjoying and pops out rewards for loyalty.

I'd keep the main modes pure n simple. OutRun thru n thru. But then draft in Takara to latch on an unlockable CaRPG mode just like the Choro Q games on PS2.

I would also include unlockable skies and road/landscape textures.

I hate using the term 'unlockable'...but I would just want it to be the phat racing boobie that keeps on lactating out the pungent milk of gaming goodness.

Comment

So hope this is a thing. I would want to see smooth 60fps and more mini games like Out Run 2 had, plus the newer Ferrari’s would be great to see. More weather conditions and road surfaces would be nice too. I pine for another Out Run. Still waiting for the Japanese Out Run 2 PS2 vers to come down in price...Luckily still have Digital PS3 vers and PSP vers.
          Last edited by JU!; 10-08-2019, 06:14.

Comment

Just make more Outrun like Outrun 2. Easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              The huge issue some people had with OR2 is how limited the game feels, so Sega would need to make sure the overall package has lots of stuff to keep people coming back for more. Obviously, it should embrace online and focus on building an OutRun community. Sega could learn a lot from games like Forza Horizon in some respects.

With modern tech, the game could be absolutely stunning. You'd just need a lot of commitment to make sure the overall package is in tune with modern gaming. An old school vibe but with modern standards to bolster everything.
              I would prefer Sega made an entirely new racing franchise than this. I loved how OR2 was unapologetically an 80s game made with 2000s visuals, and that's kinda what I would want again.

Then again I'm not the mainstream market. I have a very strong dislike of when companies use the name of an older product as a label for a newer one, unless it's very similar to the original.

Comment

Sumo absolutely NAILED Outrun2, even the PSP version was silky silky smooth.

I don’t think you’ll ever get that perfect balance again that they achieved with 2, probably best to just leave it alone as a shining example, like Fzero GX, than taint it with crap remakes.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                  Sumo absolutely NAILED Outrun2, even the PSP version was silky silky smooth.
                  I didn't realise Sumo actually made Coast-2-Coast, I thought they just dealt with the ports. Turned out that Sega AM2 only made the original OutRun2, and Sumo did the rest. TheMoreYouKnow.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    I didn't realise Sumo actually made Coast-2-Coast, I thought they just dealt with the ports. Turned out that Sega AM2 only made the original OutRun2, and Sumo did the rest. TheMoreYouKnow.jpg
                    They just handled the ports, AM#2 made OutRun 2 and it shows

Comment

Wrong. No. End.

Comment

I like to see Sega make a Power Drift II myself

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                          Wrong. No. End.
                          I'd be happy if Sega hugely expanded on what OutRun 2 has to offer. You can have the standard 'checkpoint' mode, but then loads of other stuff. It doesn't have to spoil the game for purists who just want a simple OutRun experience.

I think it would be cool to have an OutRun community. Sega's franchise is still much loved within retro circles, so updating things to also embrace a modern audience would be a sensible choice. Having the best of both worlds with a game that has loads of options and content wouldn't be a bad thing.

Comment

OR2 was fairly basic, but OR2 SP has a really complex and massively under appreciated scoring mechanic. You can completely control the flow of the traffic which means everything you do in that 5 minutes of gameplay can be fine tuned to get the best scores possible. You get better by trying new things and watching others to get tips. It's a perfect arcade game! I can play it for hours.

If they create Outrun 3, I'd like them to focus very much on the arcade experience. I don't think we need another Horizon-style community-driven racing game. There are plenty of those already. Keep the focus on the arcade!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              Just make more Outrun like Outrun 2. Easy.
                              Nail on head, Dogg. I reckon this post sums it up exactly.

Comment

Working...
                              X